Are you satisfied with WP8?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've used Win Mobile, Blackberry (Curve and Tour) and Android (Evo and Droid Pro) prior to my Lumia 822. Each phone and OS has had it's good and bad points. I've never used an iPhone and never will. I've owned a couple of Macs and just don't like them or the OS. As far as WP8 goes, the app gap is still it's biggest problem perception wise, even though it's not really a problem for me. I don't use any of the trendy so called social networking apps that everyone else clamors for. I don't claim the OS is perfect and as this forum is teeming with complaints about this, that or the other thing I'd have to say there is room for improvement. Most of what iOS or Android can supposedly do over WP8 doesn't make much difference to me. I use my phone primarily for calls, email and texting which it seems to manage just fine. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought a L520 for testing as it was cheap......not bad for a phone......internet too slow on it. I need to try one with better specs....I also own a BB Z10

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Even with my Ativ S Neo, I'm very satisfied. It's my carrier's support that I'm not satisfied with.

I love my Ativ S Neo a lot more than my HTC Evo, and the iphone 5, but that's just my opinion of course.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
After having a couple of high end androids (sony and Samsung), I can say I am much more satisfied with my Lumia 520 and am looking forward to getting a high end 8.1 device that hasn't been announced yet. WP has been a welcome change for me from android.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
As someone who really couldn't care less whether it's behind or ahead of the competition, I'm very satisfied with WP8. =)

It has more than enough features all wrapped together in a modern, slick UI that's enjoyable to navigate.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a Lumia 800 and eventually sold it and bought a Lumia 920. For me the 920 design is the best on the market.

The OS is a true winner for me. I find Android too complicated and iPhone too boring and expensive. I actually love the live tiles and don't seen the need for a notification centre, though I am probably in the minority there. Everything I need to know shows on the tiles and the 30 minute updating is no issue for me. I love the hubs, one of the major original selling points ad attractions f WP from the beginning.

I love the simplicity and amazing speed of WP8 as well as the great integration of MS services. This carries across to using my Surface RT with the tight integration and ease of use across devices.

I have loved the experience so far with my 920 and Surface and am looking forward to the new updates and new products.

My new phone and tablet will be Windows and Windows Phone, guess that's the best compliment and recommendation for WP and the ecosystem. Just loving it all.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
why dont people like the wp8 keyboard, i am an ex-blackberry,ex-android phone and iphone user and i love the 720 and 820 much faster to type on and though its not as fullfilling as the physical keyboard on my 9790 and 9780, its the best a touch screen keyboard can go!!
personally i hated swype and the regular android osk too tiny and it felt cheap to use in comparison to my lumia
only issues i have with wp8 is the stock music player app bugs which are a big letdown (forced me to keep my old phone-bold 9790 to use as an ipod) and whatsapp which is a sad im client for someone coming from a bb device with bbm(obviously) but whatsapp only runs perfect on its originally intended platform(ios) so i guess telegram and bbm for wp8/wp8.1 will not dissappoint like whatsapp , can already see how much better they run on android and ios so when the official wp8.1/wp8 one releases,itll be a better experience
as for apps, i say get a lumia + a tablet (ios or android) so u dont miss out otherwise windows phone pretty much has all the apps i use except for a few smaller ones here and there

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Amazon,wunderlist,Icici bank,any.do,telegram etc... many games come in app store & google play but ignores windows phone store.And of course there are some late arrivals like temple run, subway surfers.
there are a lot of telegram beta clients like chatogram beta etc
the apps which are missing arent really needed by most people except for a couple here and there

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with my 920 and have no inclination to switch to anything else. Wireless charging I love and the apps and OS get better and better. I think the only things that bug me are the toast notifications go missing (ESPN) and the volume is really strange on this phone. I generally have to use a headset because I can't hear it very well. Otherwise, great phone and OS and I continue to evangelize it to all the laggards on Android and Apple.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had iPhone, Windows 7 phone, Samsung android, came back to Windows 8 Lumia 820 and I will stick with it, does all I want it to do,

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 820 is my 1st smartphone.

Up until the Galaxy S2, I wasn't even away there were OS wars. I knew nothing about Android (and I think GS2 made Android the relevant thing it is today). Blackberries were some horrible, complex phones for companies, iPhones were slick devices with insane price tags and Nokia's Symbian was the best, most versatile OS for all I knew in 2007 leading to 2011.

To be honest, I never thought I'd need a smartphone. Until 2012 I didn't even know Windows Phone existed. I knew about Windows Mobile somewhat, but I thought it was the same convoluted thingy meant for companies, the same Blackberries were. Anyway, in 2012 I found out about the Lumia 800 and Lumia 900 and I was in love. As I said, iPhone were way to expensive and Android phone all looked the same. Also read that they were way too much trouble to maintain. They I saw how fool-proof Windows Phone were and how overall fast they were and I knew what I wanted. Unfortunately both were too expensive for what I could get (carrier locked with a monthly/annual plan were a no-go).

In September 2013 I wanted to buy a L720, but went for the L820 for the better specs. I absolutely love the OS. Being my 1st smartphone, I don't what I'm missing from iOS 7 or Kitkat. I love the fluidity of the OS. I love how FAST everything is and how nothing ever lags. I am extremely happy that most developers follow the design guides and everything is so coherent. Every app that I need is here. If I feel I miss something, I know the official app is on the horizon or a 3rd party app is already here. Most games I want are on the platform and the OS has more games available that I would play anyway. As for apps, I think Facebook SHOULD be way faster than it is and I think EVERY developer should develop their apps/games for 256/512 MB devices, because that would help apps/games perform better across all devices. Also Skype is WAY behind in loading/resuming speeds and features compared to iOS/Android versions. I love OneDrive and Office, too bad Microsoft really didn't bother improving Office on WP8 compared to WP7. Maybe I've not read enough, but I think it is the same thing, except some different icons and I would hope some more options coming to it soon.

As in all ... way happy with WP8. I would recommending it to anyway.

What about battery life of lumia 820 it is pathetic.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am...for now.

I own a 8X, 925 and Z Ultra. I use the 8X (mon-thurs) + 925 (weekends) as daily drivers. I like WP because it fits my needs. I like the visual look of the OS, the email client, the people hub, music player and the audio features of the 8X and the 925's camera are top notch. I'm curious to see how WP8.1 will change things. While I've seen some nice stuff in the leaks, there is still much to improve. The music player still needs work as you cannot edit playlists in the native app. The metadata support for albums bought no through MSFT store is hit or miss. A built in OS wide music equalizer would be nice, even if it is a basic one. I'm sure other folks have other needs for them that are important to get incorporated into the OS.

I still feel like MSFT is selling us a dream as to "wait until the next update/next round of hardware". The integration of their products and services will take time, no doubt. Still, I like the WP experience enough to use it as a daily driver and stay with the platform. But my Z Ultra still gets usage and as much as there are certain thing about Android I don't like, I have no problem using the platform that best fits my needs.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am not satisfied with WP8.

WP8 for me is a big disappointment. Why?
1. Limited features and it's restriction.
2. Slow adding new features
3. Limited number of apps/games.
4. Paying for those apps which are free on other OS and paid on WP( like Moli Player etc.)
5. Developers aren't paying attention on WP. Not only WP get apps late but many apps which can run on 512MB RAM need 1GB RAM in WP(like Temple Run 2, Subway Surfer etc).

The only think I like about WP is Developers Preview.
WP isn't good for advance users. It's only good for normal users who only call and chat on phone.
This is according to my more than a year experience on WP

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel Windows Phone is always one update behind where it should be. Copy-paste, multi-tasking, closing apps, backup app data... you name it and it's late compared to the competition. Usually done well when finished, but it's still all very slow.

For an OS partly aimed at business, Microsoft make doing business as hard as possible with their terrible email attachment management. Business runs off email.

• Reply and attach an Office document?
    • Not supported. You must start an new email and can only send one file which must be send directly from the Office app.
  • Forward an unapproved filetype?
    • Not supported by the device. Only works if the function is handled by the server
  • Save unknown attachments to Sharepont?
    • Not supported. You can only send links to existing files on Sharepoint, not save new, unknown files to Sharepoint.
  • Use the VPN?
    • Not supported. As I said, things come late to Windows Phone and this is late, if only a few weeks away now.

In short, you can't work at all off Windows Phone, unless it's by asking people back at base to do things for you.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
What about battery life of lumia 820 it is pathetic.

It's not extraordinary, but I'm not bothered by it. It gets me through the day. I'm talking at most 3h per day and browsing some 2 hours per day and I have at least 2g connected at all times. If I get off charing at 7 AM I'll still have battery by 9 PM, so I'm quite ok with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz