Prepare your phones to get access to WP 8.1 in the beginning of April...

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Mods for that last one!! :love:

UPDATE: This process is for those of you wanting to upgrade to WP 8.1 in April when it SHOULD be made available during //Build.

Hey all, it?s the tech guy again. :)

I know there are some of you Windows Phone 8 users that would like to try the new Windows Phone 8.1 update sooner than when your wireless carrier wants to push it out. The only real publicized way was to pay for a developers account and enable your phone for the update and app development.

I am here to tell you that there is a FREE way to do the same thing! Won?t cost you anything other than some time to sift through the process.

Now, everyone with a Windows Phone 8 device has a Microsoft Account (even if you don?t use it). You will need to know the credentials for that account to accomplish this.

First of all, you will need to sign up for a App Studio account. Use the following steps to get this going:
◾Go to Windows Phone App Studio - Microsoft on your phone or computer and sign in with your Microsoft Account credentials.
◾Agree to the User Agreement in order to move forward.
◾Click through until you see the Register Button.

Now, that is all you need to do. You may have to wait a few minutes for it to take effect on your account. Mine started working inside of 5 minutes.

Next you will need to install the Preview for Developers app onto your Windows Phone 8 device. You can get it here: Preview for Developers

When you install this application, you will need to sign into the app with your Microsoft Account that you Activated the App Studio on. If verification fails, wait a few more minutes and try again.

Once you are authenticated into the app, select the checkbox ?Enable Preview for Developers?.

(NOTE- When it is released)

Once it is announced as available for Developer Preview, on your phone, go to:
◾Settings
◾Phone Update

Tap the check for update box and after a minute or so, it will tell you there is an update available for your device.

Install this update and wait for it to complete. Even though the message tells you that it can take 5-15 minutes, it will take longer than that, so don?t mess with your phone. Even if it seems to not be doing anything, just wait.

Once complete, you will now be on the Windows Phone 8.1 update and start using all the new features!!

(NOTE- When it is released)

PLEASE NOTE - At the time of the e3xpected release in the beginning of April, the update will STILL BE IN BETA, which means that it is not the final version. IT WILL HAVE BUGS!! If you are not sure you can handle that or want to provide feedback and error logs, I would suggest you wait until it is released to retail.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
When microsoft released the windows 8.0 gdr3 to the preview for developers it was the final release. This should be the same with windows phone 8.1.

nutnithin

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Followed the steps and got registered.what's weird is that I got an update for download already..any ideas on what this could be?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
We all know this.. But no one can confirm that the dev preview would be released when the announce it...

Exactly, Wish someone would get details on this. Everyone keeps saying it will be at //build but, It will be announced only at this point, not released...

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Oke, nice tutorial.
But..........yep Always a but.
MicroSoft did not stated that there wil be such a release of 8.1
Not at the same way as they did with Gdr3
Its al gossep and speculation,
just give one link of a official statement from MS

The preview of GDR3 was intended for developers only, that there was a workarround for GDR3 great.
But that was at your own risk, remember the warning about your device warranty?
The preview release of gdr3 was not the final release.
There where issues in the first release.
See
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...w/245664-gdr3-developer-preview-bug-list.html
and
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...es-when-updating-developers-preview-gdr3.html
and
Samsung Ativ S owners beware of GDR3! | WMPoweruser
and
GDR3 update Problems on WP8 - Microsoft Community

So not only prepare your Phone but also be prepared of damagecontrol or a bughunt.
The above given links does give a pretty good inside of some issues of a early preview
The same wat can happend again with 8.1 preview
Remember its only a preview not entended for the mainstream.

Between the Preview of GDR3 and the official release there was a other update.
Just before the cariers roled there versions to the mainstream.
Now why was that if it was a final?

Its nice to know that here might be a possibillity of beeing one of the first to have 8.1
But remember, MS did never official stated that there wil be again such a preview
So dont be disapointed if there is no update on 2e of April..........
.....but if so, then keep in mind that it is just a preview.
It can give you joy and happiness, but it also can give you a headache.

I for one wil wait until the 3th of April, and read about the first experiences.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Prepare your phones? No, I think that there wont be any developer preview of WP 8.1 . WP 8.1 will be announced on April 2/3 . It will roll out only later. Hopefully MS does it universally for all WP 8.0 phones.

Last edited:

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft may announce the build or do the press release, or whatever. It all boils down to the service your on (T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, etc).

For example; the GDR3 (Black firmware?) release has been available for months now. T-Mobile just made it available for their line of Windows Phones. Microsoft may release it tomorrow, but users probably won't download the update soon after or, heaven forbid, much later.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
When microsoft released the windows 8.0 gdr3 to the preview for developers it was the final release. This should be the same with windows phone 8.1.

Not true, when the 1520 was released, it had a more-so updated version of GDR3, a little bit after that, it went to everyone on the Preview (though, it was more for bug fixes than anything else). 8.1 though is a bigger update, so as the OP mentioned, expect bugs on this preview, as we are going to be testing it. Good luck everyone!

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Not true, when the 1520 was released, it had a more-so updated version of GDR3, a little bit after that, it went to everyone on the Preview (though, it was more for bug fixes than anything else). Good luck everyone!

Your correct.
Between the first preview and the oems, was a other update.
The same as the first one, but minus the bugs.
If ( big iff ) it rolles out on the 2th of April, i will wait at the 3th, grab a beer and whats the first postings.
After that i'l deside if i want to join or not.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback. I have my sources, but all I can say is that I believe that it will be released in April.

BUT

Hey, only time will tell. :)

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I heard from a friend that his brother knows a guy who has heard from a cleaninglady who works for a lady that has a son who worked in a garage
and serviced a officeclerk's car and found a piece of paper that says that the dev-preview is not comming out during April
The guy who's putting it on line is on vacation and the one who's replacing him is on sick leave.
So it takes a bit longer.....sorry i hate to bring it to you but please don't shoot the Messenger, i just told you what i heard.

@ Talderon, you know him to?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay, after all the announcements and all that, I think this thread really is valid as I stated it. :winktongue:

People KNOW things *waves fingers like voo-doo magic*

Anyhow. All fun and joking aside, I just wanted to bring this back up since there are new people that are showing up here asking questions.

Thanks all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb