Well i discovered that my Little Nokia Lumia 620 can play perfectly fine WMA LossLess Multichannel 5.1 files and well i can tell you the difference is AMAZING actually i am Ripping some of my fav Concerts directly from the DVD 5.1DTS... and well the results are amazing
    you can try it downloading this file i put up for you guys to test it Madonna - Future Lover vs I…wma (64,46 MB) - uploaded.net when you transfer the file to the SD card or the phone memory you'll be warned with the you cant play this file...would you like to convert...just select no just copy ... trust me it will!!! well hope this helps someone that cares like me about sound quality
    sumton and Derausgewanderte like this.
    03-25-2014 06:06 AM
    Thanks for the information. Big files though.
    03-25-2014 07:17 AM
    Yes but actually smaller than flac... but for live music the quality its just amazing
    eroc1990 likes this.
    03-25-2014 08:55 AM
    Why multichannel?
    03-25-2014 08:58 AM
    I agree. There's no way that I'm aware of to get that multi-channel audio back out is there? I'm assuming that OP is using mutli-channel because their source is the DTS CD. But DTS is already compressed. Use a high bit rate MP3 or WMA and you could get the same quality I'm pretty sure. OP, DTS is a lossy codec and not a particularly efficient one. 5.1 DTS provides about a 256 kbps stream per channel. Downmix that to 2.0 and you could easily get equivalent quality with a VBR MP3 at the extreme settings or using WMA Pro of around 256 kb+.
    03-25-2014 10:12 AM
    Try it it doesn't sound like a VBR MP3 IT'S A LOT BETTER
    03-25-2014 10:47 AM
    Sorry the source is a DVD 5.1 DTS and WMA lossless doesn't make it on to 2 channel it keeps the 5.1 channels and what you hear is the 5.1 channels Same as Flac
    03-25-2014 10:51 AM
    Well i discovered that my Little Nokia Lumia 620 can play perfectly fine WMA LossLess Multichannel 5.1 files and well i can tell you the difference is AMAZING actually i am Ripping some of my fav Concerts directly from the DVD 5.1DTS... and well the results are amazing
    you can try it downloading this file i put up for you guys to test it Madonna - Future Lover vs I…wma (64,46 MB) - uploaded.net when you transfer the file to the SD card or the phone memory you'll be warned with the you cant play this file...would you like to convert...just select no just copy ... trust me it will!!! well hope this helps someone that cares like me about sound quality
    what sound output source were you using ? I've broken all my earphones so i just have the nokia original ones, which are quite pathetic. And do you see any difference in the speaker output ? (dont wanna download Madonna :-P actually, dont wanna download that big sized Madonna song :-P)
    03-25-2014 10:58 AM
    Sorry the source is a DVD 5.1 DTS and WMA lossless doesn't make it on to 2 channel it keeps the 5.1 channels and what you hear is the 5.1 channels Same as Flac
    So you're missing audio from center, rear left, and rear right channels? Or are you saying the phone downmixes the audio?
    03-25-2014 12:19 PM
    So you're missing audio from center, rear left, and rear right channels? Or are you saying the phone downmixes the audio?
    so what part of WMA lossless 5.1 CHANNELS you didn't get?
    03-25-2014 05:27 PM
    actually his point is that since your earphones (and 3.5mm output on phone) have only 2 channels you can't hear the other 3 channels and so 2 channels or 5 channels don't make a difference.
    I agree with his point.
    taymur likes this.
    03-25-2014 05:36 PM
    The part where my headphones are missing rear left, rear right, center and subwoofer, since they are stereo (2.0). It's kinda like playing 3D movie on a normal 2D screen, some adjustments need to be done. And quite frankly, your response was quite rude.

And the second guy asking about output I think he was referring to what kind of headphones/speakers were you using. Again, rude.
    03-25-2014 06:04 PM
    It's ok, he obviously is a neophyte in the audio realm, if he digs it it's all good.
    Kon Bick likes this.
    03-29-2014 09:27 AM
    thanks, this is good to know. I will try this with a few of my bluray 5,1 audio discs and convert them for my L920 next.
    03-29-2014 06:04 PM
    Ignorant and rude op should have simply visited http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...K_AudioSupport
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    03-30-2014 02:15 PM
    Ignorant and rude op should have simply visited Supported media codecs for Windows Phone
    good to know. supports WAV: LPCM, bid depth 16, max bid rate 1500kbits, max sample rate 96kHz.
    cheers
    03-30-2014 09:19 PM
    good to know. supports WAV: LPCM, bid depth 16, max bid rate 1500kbits, max sample rate 96kHz.
    cheers
    Most relevant to this conversation is the number of channels.
    03-31-2014 12:15 AM
    Yes, only two. Which makes my cat very sad.

03-31-2014 08:10 AM
    to you maybe, maybe others. Not me. The specs for LPCM are independent of the number of channels.
    04-01-2014 07:08 PM
    to you maybe, maybe others. Not me. The specs for LPCM are independent of the number of channels.
    Well, the point being, unless you downmix this 5.1 audio to stereo, you'll be listening to 1/3 of the audio.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    04-02-2014 01:44 AM
    Well, the point being, unless you downmix this 5.1 audio to stereo, you'll be listening to 1/3 of the audio.
    ok, get it. the spec did not list 5.1 for lpcm. Thought that would mean it has to downmix it. The next question then is, would streaming to a 5.1 system from the phone mean it has to downmix and then upmix? That of course would be fatal...
    Anyway, I will give lpcm a try on the weekend and see if there is any difference.
    04-02-2014 11:41 AM
    you can try it downloading this file i put up for you guys to test it Madonna - Future Lover vs I€wma (64,46 MB) - uploaded.net when you transfer the file to the SD card or the phone memory you'll be warned with the you cant play this file...would you like to convert...just select no just copy ... trust me it will!!! well hope this helps someone that cares like me about sound quality

Nice to know, but why would I want to forget FLAC, while my FLAC files are smaller in size and also lossless? To give you an idea, my FLAC files from Lorde's Pure Horoine album ranges from 19.5 MB to 31.2 MB. Nothing as big as your 64MB file.
    I think Microsoft is just trying to lock user in their system and to build a monopoly, otherwise FLAC support should be straightforward and transparent.
    08-29-2014 09:31 AM
    could you name any good app for playing lossless flac on winphone?
    12-11-2014 04:08 AM
    Try VLC media player, it can play FLAC and AIFF, maybe ALAC aswell.

How do I turn a lossless file into WMA pro btw?
    05-05-2015 02:28 AM