I HATE You, WiFi Download Only

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, this is a thorn on the Rose that is otherwise Windows Phone. Big Brother deciding I cant use cellular data for certain tasks. I know the reasoning; to avoid certain users crying when they exceed their data cap.

I pay for UNLIMITED DATA for a reason - so I can download whatever I want, whenever I want, to my phone. All my settings indicate I have an unlimited data plan and prefer cellular over WiFi. I get free internet at my apartment, but the speed and the reliability are on par with that price... I should have the power to click through a disclaimer or something and make the conscious choice to use cellular data - NOT be forced to use WiFi just to satisfy some lawyer.

Most recently I had two games waiting to update and they would only use WiFi to do so. They never updated. Other phone data would go over my WiFi, but not these two items. Ever. Despite multiple efforts to wait patiently for them to do their thing via WiFi (which was working sufficiently for the rest of my household to use on demand - including streaming content via a set top box). Then when the Nokia Black update got stuck in a similar condition and refused to download, that's when the curse words started flying.

My choices? Ignore all the updates waiting and watch my phone fall behind on its true software capability, Flash my 925 to the latest version via Nokia Care Suite and go through the hassle of setting up my phone all over again, or switch to another phone and OS as my daily driver.

Option one (fall behind on software) is NOT an option for someone like me who is interested in all things mobile.
Option two (Flash the phone and rebuild my setup) was the one I grudgingly chose... This time...
Option three (switch to a different phone/platform) is the one I'll probably choose next time around. I have 3 other phones on hand. I'm not stuck with just the 925.

It is quite clearly a major idiocy to limit use of a device's stated capability. When the user indicates they have Unlimited Data why force them to WiFi? It really grated my cheese and I'm clearly not getting over it easily. WTF, Windows Phone Lawyers, who the bleepity bleep do you think you are? Not a clever move.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That isn't just a limitation of Windows Phone. iOS only allows downloads smaller than 100 MB via mobile network, and that was increased last year; iOS had smaller limits previously.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't use iOS... and that's not the point: who has limits...

The point is: why does some Lawyer for the device's OS control my download speed over and above the contract I have with my carrier?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not about lawyers (there is no legal issue here) but it is indeed about clueless cry babies. They cry loud so it is necessary for companies to take measures to satisfy them.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
That isn't just a limitation of Windows Phone. iOS only allows downloads smaller than 100 MB via mobile network, and that was increased last year; iOS had smaller limits previously.
Well, this is news to me. Bouncing between my Bold, Q10, and WP for the last 6 months, I must say that my hatred to particular Wi-Fi only rules is ranked right behind my dislike for on-screen keyboards. This being my opinion.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think this is smart. Who wants to download a game that requires a multi gigabyte accompanying download on cellular? No thanks. I would rather wait for wifi, even if I had unlimited data. No, WP8.1 store does not "fix" this.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I think this is smart. Who wants to download a game that requires a multi gigabyte accompanying download on cellular? No thanks. I would rather wait for wifi, even if I had unlimited data. No, WP8.1 store does not "fix" this.
I could understand why some people might want the capability, especially if they have slow DSL Internet service. LTE might be a lot faster than many Internet service plans. We don't have anything other than Time-Warner and AT&T DSL here. I used to have AT&T DSL, and it was really slow, even on the highest tiered plan. I'm using Time-Warner now, and my speeds are decent, but LTE is faster.

3398283212.png

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
sometime you could loose data or your download over your cellular network. so just to prevent from such mishappening large files show DOWNLOAD OVER WiFi ONLY. but having a download over network option mught help too. this could give user choices .

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
sometime you could loose data or your download over your cellular network. so just to prevent from such mishappening large files show DOWNLOAD OVER WiFi ONLY. but having a download over network option mught help too. this could give user choices .
Yes. No valid reason to not have both options. You can lose data on wi-fi too. Actually may be more likely if you are not moving based on all the posts about wi-fi dropping when the router changes channels for better performance.

And I don't remember in the license agreement that I had to have home wi-fi or over pay for coffee.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that a one time option to download with mobile data should be available. Let the user choose to use mobile data, but default back to WiFi only after every download. That way the user doesn't switch to mobile data and then forget about it.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's not about lawyers (there is no legal issue here) but it is indeed about clueless cry babies. They cry loud so it is necessary for companies to take measures to satisfy them.

Cry babies...

More like incompetant fools, who should be sterilised so humanity can move forward

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually the OP isn't wrong. The point that he states is valid. If he has an unlimited data connection and that is much faster than his Wi-Fi its but obvious he would want to download via his Data connection.

I faced the similar case once before, I had 600MB of my 3G that was going to expire and when I wanted to download the Amber update, I couldn't as I didn't have Wi-Fi at that time. So my 600MB lapsed and got wasted, I had to go over to a friends place and update my phone.

I think Microsoft should throw up a pop up message before downloading anything via data connection that is greater than 100 MB stating that "This download could use a lot of your data. Do you want to proceed ?" Still if the user goes ahead and then later on cries the user is stupid and its his fault.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Are we sure this is a Microsoft thing or is this something foisted on them by the carriers? Carriers are stingy with their bandwidth and I can very easily see them forcing MS to limit download sizes by saying "Impose this limit or we won't sell your phones/OS"

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Cry babies...

More like incompetant fools, who should be sterilised so humanity can move forward

The cry babies cry so hard they attract nuisance lawyers. Then the corporate lawyers rally 'round to make money by "preserving the corporation's assets" from nuisance lawsuits. It's how we got warning labels on coffee cups telling us that hot coffee is hot and caution stickers on chainsaws advising not to stop the chain with your hand. If there isn't a lawyer or five in this policy, I'll eat my 925 smeared with ketchup.

The thing is - there is no danger to health and safety in making the error. It's BS make-work for some legal department stooge and it impacts the usability of the device in a negative way.

Check the OP again. This policy actually prevented me from updating several things, for several weeks. I tried and could not correct the deficiency that kept updates from happening over my home WiFi network. What if the update had been an important security matter and my device was compromised because of the WiFi only policy? Then who would need a lawyer and have actionable cause?

It's an unnecessarily rigid restriction designed simply to keep someone who is ignorant or unthinking from incurring a cost. It is potentially harmful to my system not to be able to update. Right now the policy errs on the side of caution and opens the OS maker up to a larger liability pool. It's a dumb solution to a dumb problem.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
20 to 4 against an absolute barrier prohibiting large downloads over cellular data...

Any one else have thoughts on this before the Poll sinks into oblivion?

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I just voted on a random poll entry, no idea which one. The reason: just to screw with it. The choices are deliberatly worded, patronizing and oppinionated to skew the poll outcome to your favour.

That is all.

lateofN8

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I pay for UNLIMITED LTE data, which is faster than my DSL by a factor of 15x. I should be able to choose to download over cellular data if I so choose.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It has to be allowed to download using cellular data. Just make the OS ask customer EVERY time the file is larger then current limit, whether he/she wants to use cellular for large file.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb