How to see inline links in WP8 email

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm generally pretty happy that the WP8 email app gives you a really stripped-down view of your email without scripts getting in the way of reading my email. However, I frequently get email with inline links and I'd like to at least be able to see them if I so choose. Is there any way to do this?

I'm reading my Gmail on my WP8 Lumia 521. I know that I could access the mobile version of the Gmail site but that's not an option for me -- I just can't stand using that interface on my phone.

Thank you!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, there is no convenient way to do this. You could tap/hold, copy link, then go into a textbox (onenote, text message, email - anything where you can paste) and paste the link, so you can look at it. I'm thinking this is what you're looking for, but unfortunately it isn't all that convenient.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Rich, thank you for the suggestion. I think I didn't explain it that well, though. All I can see in the email is the name that is given to the link (like "click here" or "look at this"), not a URL. I don't need it to be a clickable link, but I would like to know what the URL is.

In fact, the only way I know that there should be a link in the email at all is that it's obvious from the text the sender wrote to me -- and because I read the email on my PC.

So the email reads something like: "We're going to go here on Saturday." The word "here" is the text of a link that has a URL. But from the email app there's no way to even know that.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using Gmail, but with my Outlook.com email, inline links are underlined and clickable.

Edit: Additionally, if a tap and hold, it gives me the option to copy the actual link (not the word used in the email to represent the link).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Rich, thank you for the suggestion. I think I didn't explain it that well, though. All I can see in the email is the name that is given to the link (like "click here" or "look at this"), not a URL. I don't need it to be a clickable link, but I would like to know what the URL is.

In fact, the only way I know that there should be a link in the email at all is that it's obvious from the text the sender wrote to me -- and because I read the email on my PC.

So the email reads something like: "We're going to go here on Saturday." The word "here" is the text of a link that has a URL. But from the email app there's no way to even know that.
What I suggested will give you the actual url if you click on a word that is a hyperlink... If I understand right, though, what you have is a word that is a link but doesn't appear as one, so you wouldn't know to tap/hold it to get the copy link. Right? I would have to wonder if it was the way the message was formatted, since email isn't just plain text. The sender has control over the appearance, though I did think that the phone would do a better job on the reveal. :straight:

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that I don't seem to have any words that are hyperlinks, like the email app just isn't displaying HTML at all. Maybe this is is different if you're using an Outlook.com account like Jai describes above.

The only time that I can use Copy Link is when the text itself is a URL. For example, if the message body contains the word boston dot com (I'm just formatting it that way so the forum will display it) then the word gets underlined and clickable. The same would get for a properly-formatted email address in the body of the email.

Otherwise, even if I tap-and-hold on a word that I know contains a link (from viewing it on my PC) all I get is the standard selection box around the word and the icon for copying text to clipboard. And I have tried actually copying it anyway and it does just come out as the text.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte