8.1: When will Verizon roll it out?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
With the build coming up VERY soon, I've been wondering:

When will providers, namely Verizon, roll it out to our phones?

Will it be available the day of or much later? If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks!

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
They won't roll it out day of because they will want to test and certify it first. If you want it sooner than later, you should just dev unlock your phone and get it through the preview program.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
They won't roll it out day of because they will want to test and certify it first. If you want it sooner than later, you should just dev unlock your phone and get it through the preview program.

Yes. I've already done this with the previous update. The only problem is, one, it voided my warranty (maybe) and, two, it might have bugs.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think any carrier is going to care if you dev unlock your phone and what bugs might be there would likely be minor. What they plan to release to the preview program should be what MS sends out to the carriers to certify, so it won't be an unoptimized mess.

If you want some kind of timeframe, just look at how long it took Verizon to release the GDR3/Black update. I'm glad I didn't wait the 5-ish months

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
First wait for Microsoft to say the official release date, then just add 2-3 months to that date.

You actually would not believe what we are doing here to meet our dates. Sure, the Dev Preview may be late, but not much too much and the release date is fast approaching (in Dev time) and things are shaping up to be on time! The initiative to quicken our update schedule is gaining traction and everyone is full steam ahead!

note: This is in no way any kind of official statement, it is just my observation here.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
You actually would not believe what we are doing here to meet our dates. Sure, the Dev Preview may be late, but not much too much and the release date is fast approaching (in Dev time) and things are shaping up to be on time! The initiative to quicken our update schedule is gaining traction and everyone is full steam ahead!

note: This is in no way any kind of official statement, it is just my observation here.

I am glad to here that. While Microsoft and others have a bad wrap, it is fully within their power to kick things into gear and make customers happy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I've already done this with the previous update. The only problem is, one, it voided my warranty (maybe) and, two, it might have bugs.

It did not void the warranty. Microsoft, in their user agreement for the dev preview, says that it may void the warranty. But Microsoft's lawyers are going to make them put that in so that no one can come back and sue them for damage to their phone. Think about it... Did Microsoft make your phone? If the answer is no, then they are not a party to the warranty, and cannot say whether the warranty is voided or not. This disclaimer is just the result of there being far too many lawyers in the world.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It did not void the warranty. Microsoft, in their user agreement for the dev preview, says that it may void the warranty. But Microsoft's lawyers are going to make them put that in so that no one can come back and sue them for damage to their phone. Think about it... Did Microsoft make your phone? If the answer is no, then they are not a party to the warranty, and cannot say whether the warranty is voided or not. This disclaimer is just the result of there being far too many lawyers in the world.

That's good to hear! I have a Nokia phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss