Dual Boot WIth Windows 8

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys, this may seem a bit off topic, because setting up a dual boot configurations does not really depend on the OS. Dual booting with windows 8 should be the same as dual booting with windows 7 or windows vista, right? Don't worry, I already know how to set up a dual boot configuration, and I have done it a bunch of times. My question for you guys is this:

How can I make it so the boot manager for all of my OSs looks like this?:
apcnews2012windows8_linux_dual_boot_thumb_mainImage1_jpg1.jpg

And NOT like this:
Boot_Manager_Vista.jpg

My understanding of this process is that in order to achieve this, I must have the windows 8 boot manager be the one my computer actually boots to first, and then I need to make sure that the boot managers of my other operating systems are just hidden. The thing is, I thought that was how I had it set up, and I'm still getting the legacy boot menu. I read somewhere that you can run a command in windows 8 to make the "new" boot menu appear instead of the legacy one, but it does nothing for me.
Here is the command I used:
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard
This command supposedly enables the legacy boot menu, which is what my computer is using right now for some unknown reason:
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Also, does anyone know the name of the "new" boot menu? Should I continue to call it the new boot menu, or is it the standard boot menu like how the command describes it? Any replies are very appreciated.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I think your first picture, the new boot manager is accessed when you press shift and restart your computer to access the advanced start-up. I do not think you can access it before booting windows 8. You can give it a try.

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
At one point, I did have a dual boot configuration where it automatically booted to the "new" boot menu when you started the computer. This was the windows 8 consumer preview, however. There must be a way to use it in windows 8!

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What I learned from experience is that always install the older version of Windows first before installing the new one because the newer boot manager will always replace the older one. But in this case, if both are already installed, I think you would have to boot to Windows 8, open msconfig > go to Boot tab > then select Windows 8.1 > Set as default.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is not hard to do, the only problem is If you use the Windows 8 boot loader and select another OS, the computer will reboot and you MIGHT get their boot loader screen.

You need to set the primary OS to be Windows 8, then you will have the Windows 8 boot loader. The other problem is Windows 8 mostly loads to give you that screen, so it's a LOT slower to load than the old Windows 7 one....

Control panel>System>Advanced System settings>Advanced tab> Start up and Recovery>System Startup> Set Windows 8 to be the default operating system.

This can be done on Windows 7 or 8 (if your dual booting 7 and 8) as this is a global setting for the computer.

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry, I am aware of the slower boot times, and call me strange, but I think its worth it just to have the nice UI and to be able to use my mouse to select the OS. I will try your suggestion, and I will let you know if I have any luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa