Windows Phone 8.1 StartScreen Customization

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointed. They tried way too hard on this crap, rather than give us something so simple. All we wanted is a background behind tiles. I guess they are saving that feature for Windows 8.5. Disappointed nonetheless.

henilp89

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
UGh! I HATE IT.. I WANT A BACKGROUND! never buying a WP until i get that feature! seriously..

Last edited:

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, this feature is rather nice and I would take it over background image on tiles anyway. How are you going to see the background image? The tiles will cover so much of it that you won't be able to see it much. With tile transparency, that would be ok, but, app developers have to get on the ball with it. :)

Right now, the market apps that have this are (that I have):

Smart Voicemail
Audiobook Simple Player
Battery Performance
Readit
CamCard
App Folder

Most of the default apps will as well, like Mail, Messaging, IE, Phone and the like.

Titanicology

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Can't wait to put a Mariah Carey picture as my background. 😍 Oh! And the HTC One M8, if someone offered me that phone for my 1520, I would trade it lol. 😜

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would hate skinned tiles forever but after watching the leaked video, it is not so bad after all since there is parallax view which looks really cool when you move your start screen. 😍

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Tapatalk

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Stop complaining, what they did was let you make the start screen any color you want. Just find a picture of a solid color that you like, set to background, and bam awesome custom windows phone. No way you could see a background picture anyway, not was much screen space as windows 8.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i think that amazing... much better than now its my oppinion... can't wait to get it... and if someone don't like it, just keep like it is now!!! but not buying a phone because of this its nonsense if you buy it without it!!!! 8.1 hurry up can?t wait no more!!!

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Those wanting a "background" instead of skinned tiles...
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this background? If you look it from another perspective, it's background with 100% transparent tiles (Quite a number of you want transparency/translucency). They are giving you what you want..

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
There's people with senseless complains OMG the OS is good as it is. You can't expect them to include everything in a single release. BTW 8.1 will not be the last version of Windows Phone. I am utterly sure that we will have custom backgrounds in the future but not right now.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this background? If you look it from another perspective, it's background with 100% transparent tiles (Quite a number of you want transparency/translucency). They are giving you what you want..
people are never happy... its like someone give them a FERRARI and they say: don't like the color... bring that startscreen to rock in my L920 can+t wait no more

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I think the issue is the black background is what they are not wanting. The way it is now, your tiles will break up the image with black lines around the tiles and you are able to see the "background" image ONLY of the tiles support transparency. That part will be up to the developers on if they want to enable transparency.

I, personally, like the transparent tile background image as shown in the video. A lot of the apps I use already support transparent tiles which is nice.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
people are never happy... its like someone give them a FERRARI and they say: don't like the color... bring that startscreen to rock in my L920 can+t wait no more

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
What Microsoft did with the start screen is wonderful. Background pictures wouldn't work with live tiles, besides it would become kinda similar to android or IOS. Better have something new and innovative!

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
There's people with senseless complains OMG the OS is good as it is. You can't expect them to include everything in a single release. BTW 8.1 will not be the last version of Windows Phone. I am utterly sure that we will have custom backgrounds in the future but not right now.

custom background wouldn't be appropriate for the live tiles and Microsoft knows it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos