Does the Start Screen picture 'scroll'?

Bright Chen

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I realised this issue seconds after seeing the tiles with the background picture. I think it looks beautiful, but there's a potential problem: Does the picture extend as I scroll down?

My start screen on my Lumia 1520 has many big tiles, which means quite a bit of scrolling by my part (I prefer it that way), but judging by the way the picture is set in the tiles, sure the top apps gets the treatment, but what happens to the bottom tiles?

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I realised this issue seconds after seeing the tiles with the background picture. I think it looks beautiful, but there's a potential problem: Does the picture extend as I scroll down?

My start screen on my Lumia 1520 has many big tiles, which means quite a bit of scrolling by my part (I prefer it that way), but judging by the way the picture is set in the tiles, sure the top apps gets the treatment, but what happens to the bottom tiles?

What you call as scroll is know as parallax which is similar to Android home screen when swapped either left or right..!!

So the picture will actually scroll depending upon the number on tiles you have on your home screen

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I honestly know nothing, but I'm going to assume that the way it works is that the background image is static and the "windows" move over it.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I honestly know nothing, but I'm going to assume that the way it works is that the background image is static and the "windows" move over it.
The picture will scroll along with the movement of windows...check out the video of developer L630 showing the dart screen

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Sense I don't really know how it would work, I'm going to throw an idea, that if I would have developed it I would have made it that way.

First of all its obvious from the video that there is some movement in the background picture, that's for sure, and its called parallax, I would guess the amount of parallax will be in negatively proportionally related with the distance of you start screen.

Meaning the more live tiles you have set vertically, the more less you will feel the parallax movement.

Just my guess.

Last edited:

Wilsen Hernandez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what taymur said, but to understand it you'll first need to investigate what is the 'Parallax effect' everyone here talks about..

I can't find a way simple enough to explain it to you, so if someone can do it.. or you may check Wikipedia or watch videos explaining it

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Basically if you have just a few tiles your background photo will move more, if you have many tiles the background photo will move less.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's another way to think of it. Let's say that your Start screen has 15 rows of medium-sized tiles. Those tiles are 336px tall and there's a 24px gap between rows. This makes your Start screen 5,376px tall (I'm excluding the gap above the topmost tiles simply because I forget its height.) Your Lumia 1520 has a screen that shows 1,920 pixels from top to bottom and the picture that you've selected as the Start screen background has a height of 3,072px.

Now, the top 1,920 pixels of the photo can show at once, leaving 1,152 to be scrolled. Likewise, the top 1,920 pixels of the tiles can be seen, leaving 3,456 Start screen pixels to scroll. In this example, that means that background photo will move at 1/3 the scrolling speed of the foreground tiles because 1,152/3,456 = 0.3333. If your Start screen only had 8 rows (2,856px, leaving 936px to scroll), the image would move faster than the tiles because 1,152px / 936 = 1.23, or about 23% faster than the tiles.

Microsoft has probably built some upper limits into this so that people don't get nauseous when scrolling. (With only six rows of tiles, our example background photo would scroll more than five times faster than the foreground tiles.) If so, it's possible that parts of the image won't ever be seen. Of course, since most pictures aren't in the aspect ratio of a phone (16:9 portrait, in the case of a 1520), that was already going to be true.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It looks like settings enforce a background aspect ratio to get reasonable parallax. In the youtube demo you see that a narrow slice of a background image is selected, long enough (sufficiently different aspect ratio than the screen) so that it can scroll a bit as you pan over all your tiles. At this point I don't think we know whether they make that slice narrower (longer) for start screens with more tiles.

Last edited:

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It looks like settings enforce a background aspect ratio to get reasonable parallax. In the youtube demo you see that a narrow slice of a background image is selected, long enough (sufficiently different aspect ration than the screen) so that it can scroll a bit as you man over all your tiles. At this point I don't think we know whether they make that slice narrower (longer) for start screens with more tiles.

Didn't think of that, maybe they implemented it that way so the scrolling is a consistent and funtional speed in every device, but it would crop a lotta lot the sides of the pictures.

I Guess
waitandsee.gif

PS:
tumblr_ls7x9pDl6V1qcfszdo1_500_zps8a4edf71.gif

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

It does, but not by much regardless of how long your start screen is.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Parallax scrolling is a special scrolling technique in computer graphics, wherein background images move by the camera slower than foreground images, creating an illusion of depth in a 2D video game and adding to the immersion.[SUP][1][/SUP] The technique grew out of the multiplane camera technique used in traditional animation[SUP][2][/SUP] since the 1930s, and was popularized among video games in the 1982 arcade game Moon Patrol.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4]
[/SUP]

D1STd.gif.pagespeed.ce.1_JbpJjg86.gif

The background move slower than foreground, the bw is a smaller image.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077