Shop Holiday deals at:Amazon | Walmart | Best Buy | Microsoft | Dell

06-02-2015 08:09 AM
358 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Hi Friends,
    Okay, I have downloaded Preview for Developers app and signed in with my MS account on App Studio. All set to enable the checkbox for 8.1 Preview in the app. But:
    [1] If I check it now and click on Done button, will it start updating the OS automatically on the day of Preview release?
    [2] I have robust 2G data connection and have never done an OS upgrade in-the-air. Is this connectivity enough for the 8.1 download?
    [3] If yes, what should be the size of the update? I mean will it be in gigs? (If yes, then, I think 2G is not a good bet :-(( )

- Ashish
    04-09-2014 01:31 PM
    1 - answered in first post
    2 - You must update over wifi - there is no other option (and I will also put this answer in the first post).
    Saksham Sharma likes this.
    04-09-2014 01:35 PM
    Hi Friends,
    Okay, I have downloaded Preview for Developers app and signed in with my MS account on App Studio. All set to enable the checkbox for 8.1 Preview in the app. But:
    [1] If I check it now and click on Done button, will it start updating the OS automatically on the day of Preview release?
    [2] I have robust 2G data connection and have never done an OS upgrade in-the-air. Is this connectivity enough for the 8.1 download?
    [3] If yes, what should be the size of the update? I mean will it be in gigs? (If yes, then, I think 2G is not a good bet :-(( )

- Ashish
    i can tell you this much, the GDR3 update was about 200mb, but it required close to a GB to install. But this update, having lots and lots and lots of new features, would possibly be about a GB (just a guess).
    Better pay for a WiFi hotspot somewhere for a day when the update comes, in case you dont have WiFi. It wont update on anything else except WiFi. I've mentioned the sizes, so you can calculate the time required.
    04-09-2014 02:21 PM
    It isn't black. It's the OS that has a version increase, not the firmware. It's an update to the OS, but it is just bug fixes. Not 8.1.
    sorry, i meant to write GDR3. Its an update of the OS, at present being GDR3. I've written 'GDR3' about 3-4 times already to different people, sorry for the mistake here. Going to correct it now.
    hopmedic and anon(7900571) like this.
    04-09-2014 02:23 PM
    Hate to post this...
    picsart_10_4_2014-1_52_49-pm.jpg
    But well, might just be Uniquely Singaporean.
    KKRLessey likes this.
    04-10-2014 02:03 AM
    Sorry if I've missed something, but does the Preview roll out simultaneously across all regions or is it a staged release?
    04-10-2014 08:32 AM
    Hate to post this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_10_4_2014 1_52_49 PM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	61877
    Yeah when I sent my phone to Nokia Care Point in the UK, the guy told me that he has software that checks the phone OS version. Nokia gets this data and decides whether the phone would get the free support. I think Samsung has something similar.
    04-10-2014 10:21 AM
    Hate to post this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_10_4_2014 1_52_49 PM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	61877
    Oh well, that sucks :( guess I may have to back out of it. I really enjoy the idea of this and as a developer I don't want to be unable to get my Nokia fixed because dust got in the front facing camera.
    JediTWang likes this.
    04-10-2014 10:34 AM
    If you're in the US they'll have to prove that with the stock software you wouldn't have got the dust. So you're good there.
    04-10-2014 11:37 AM
    Yeah when I sent my phone to Nokia Care Point in the UK, the guy told me that he has software that checks the phone OS version. Nokia gets this data and decides whether the phone would get the free support. I think Samsung has something similar.
    Oh well, that sucks :( guess I may have to back out of it. I really enjoy the idea of this and as a developer I don't want to be unable to get my Nokia fixed because dust got in the front facing camera.
    idk but if we send our phones when it has caught up with the official release, acting all innocent, i don't think they'll bother to check.

Samsung android devices to my knowledge has a built-in hard-wired flash counter. It is easy for them to tell whether there had been some unauthorised flashing going on; the flash counter somehow can be reset too. This is why i hate to work on samsung devices during my android days.
    04-10-2014 01:29 PM
    It really depends on the jurisdiction, some (like most of EU customs) mandate that the manufacturer cannot void hw support/warranty on the basis of sw.
    If there's a clear/concise & direct link that can be drawn between the sw & the hw fault, then & only then may an exception be made.
    But again, that really depends on the jurisdiction...

Also, you'd have to be unlucky to develop a hw fault long before the official OS release, & if you do, you could chance it, or flash back to the last major fw release.*
    In most cases they're not going to be so anally retentive as to discard hw support simply because they (may) see that you've previously used dev_preview or flashed.
    Whatsmore, some regional Nokia centres simply ignore local jurisdiction/laws**, so be aware of your rights & be prepared to challenge them on their claims.

*assuming the fault in Qn doesn't prevent that!
    **or they're just unaware of them!
    Last edited by JediTWang; 04-11-2014 at 01:05 AM.
    04-11-2014 12:44 AM
    hi, I just bought a new phone (nokia lumia icon ... I'll receive it this week.) I have the lumia 920 right now. If I want 8.1 on the icon I can't install 8.1 on the 920 right ???
    I can install the preview on just one phone ?

​thanks
    04-11-2014 03:30 AM
    hi, I just bought a new phone (nokia lumia icon ... I'll receive it this week.) I have the lumia 920 right now. If I want 8.1 on the icon I can't install 8.1 on the 920 right ???
    I can install the preview on just one phone ?

​thanks
    yes if app studio account .... Then only one phone ...if you are a paid dev then 3-4 phones....
    Jessy Tremblay likes this.
    04-11-2014 03:40 AM
    Sorry if I've missed something, but does the Preview roll out simultaneously across all regions or is it a staged release?
    its on Microsoft servers all over the world give or take an hour..... So more or less simultaneously.
    04-11-2014 03:43 AM
    Just get through work today, enjoy the weekend and then get ready for Monday and (hopefully) 8.1!
    04-11-2014 04:01 AM
    I am a android fanboy but after using Lumia 520 for 10 days,I am loving it a lot now.This is my first post in wpcentral forum.Its really a very good place for WP enthusiast.I already regted for WP 8.1 dev preview,but warranty is my concern now.I read almost all the threads about prvw prgrm here n more than eager to use it.Nokia n MS should give us the oppurtunity to try preview sw without voiding our warranty.
    04-11-2014 01:16 PM
    I am a android fanboy but after using Lumia 520 for 10 days,I am loving it a lot now.This is my first post in wpcentral forum.Its really a very good place for WP enthusiast.I already regted for WP 8.1 dev preview,but warranty is my concern now.I read almost all the threads about prvw prgrm here n more than eager to use it.Nokia n MS should give us the oppurtunity to try preview sw without voiding our warranty.

then you didn't read good enough. There is a big article on wpc, dew daya ago. You can find it.
    But to answer your question.
    No

- Tapatalk -
    04-11-2014 01:19 PM
    yes if app studio account .... Then only one phone ...if you are a paid dev then 3-4 phones....
    ok, I used the dev preview on the 920 (for the last update). If I switch off on the dev preview app, Will I be able to update the icon? Or the 920 is already linked with my app studio account ?

thanks
    04-11-2014 09:38 PM
    then you didn't read good enough. There is a big article on wpc, dew daya ago. You can find it.
    But to answer your question.
    No

- Tapatalk -
    You meant 2 days ago* I believe
    04-11-2014 09:59 PM
    Even though I know its not out till next week but i couldn't resist pressing the check for updates button
    04-12-2014 04:06 AM
    ok, I used the dev preview on the 920 (for the last update). If I switch off on the dev preview app, Will I be able to update the icon? Or the 920 is already linked with my app studio account ?

thanks
    you'll need to login to your dashboard at dev.windowsphone.com then phones then deregister your old one, unless you're a paid dev then rerun the developer registration app on your PC
    04-12-2014 09:35 AM
    Guys what step do you follow after installing OTA update.
    do you do hard reset or normally use your phone???
    04-12-2014 10:05 AM
    Use the phone.
    04-12-2014 10:31 AM
    Guys what step do you follow after installing OTA update.
    do you do hard reset or normally use your phone???
    reset after update. This is believed to clear any false settings/files that may interfere with the new update causing battery drains or worse. Some do the reset before update, same purpose.
    04-12-2014 03:04 PM
    If there are no problems, why should you reset....?!

- Tapatalk -
    04-12-2014 04:34 PM
358 ... 89101112 ...