Developer Preview Program - Please read first post before asking questions

Hasan Moursi

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Developer Preview Program - What Exactly Is It?

sorry im new here and have a question .. if i make my account a developer account and got the update now ..after some months when the official update is released can i reinstall the official firmware using nokia recovery tool ...or i will be forever with this developer build release ..im afraid i will find some bugs and wont be able to get the official update as others ..

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Check the pic, I logged into the app studio page with my account, got an from app studio and then rolled into the dev preview app and got that message. That's all I need to do?

Ah - didn't see the pic when I was using the WPCentral app. Yes, you're done.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

sorry im new here and have a question .. if i make my account a developer account and got the update now ..after some months when the official update is released can i reinstall the official firmware using nokia recovery tool ...or i will be forever with this developer build release ..im afraid i will find some bugs and wont be able to get the official update as others ..

Read this post (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...preview-program-what-exactly.html#post2425224) and this one (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...preview-program-what-exactly.html#post2428757). Your question has been answered.

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

With the phone it is a bit different than the desktop. The desktop developer preview of Win8 was a very early release. They still worked on it for another year before releasing it. With the phone, they've already released 8.1 to manufacturers. There are still some fixes to be made, as has been reported on WPCentral Blog, but those will go to the OEMs as well. That's why we're not getting it today - they need to fix the bugs first. So next week, when they release it to us, we'll be getting the same build as the OEMs, because undoubtedly they will also release that updated version to the OEMs. With GDR3 and developer preview, I'd heard on a podcast by one of the Windows Phone higher-ups (don't remember off hand who it was) that the developer preview was the same as the RTM build. If you search the forums, you'll see that I was disputed, and I stood my ground, saying that the developer preview was the final build of that version. Time proved me right. The developer preview was the same as what the OEMs got. There was one small update that went to both OEMs and also preview users shortly before carriers released it, but that's not a surprise when you consider how much coding there is - if they find a bug, they'll fix it. In other words, the odds are good that what you get next week with the developer preview will be the same as what the carriers release weeks (and for some, months) later. There may be small updates to fix bugs, but nothing major.

Assuming things go just like they did with GDR3 and developer preview, if you install developer preview, you will be installing the same build as the public release, and when carriers release it, you will not need to update the OS. The other updates that carriers release along with the OS update will still install (Like Nokia Black did, for instance). There will be nothing different between your phone and the phone of someone who waited. In other words, after I updated my 928 to GDR3 with Preview for Developers, when Verizon released the update, all that installed at that time was Black, and I don't recall if there were any carrier updates with it or not. The OS didn't update because it was already on the same build.

Thank you very much for this Great explanation. Will instalo it as soonas this become available. My L920 is country variant (sin unlock from origin) so for Nokia cyan i'll have to wait a Little less then carrier tied people, but still its too much.

Do you havr some insigjt one estimated day of release(something fresher then 10apr info and not so Wide as stated on build - beggining of apr)

bel b

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site

I got the same update. I don't know what is that. LoL. Just updated anyway :)

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

If I upgrade my Lumia to WP 8.1 via the preview program, what features might I potentially lose? Would those include my Nokia apps?

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Nice thread, but i still have some questions...

1. Assuming that I'm receiving a 'pure' Windows Phone, I'll get new software updates (GDRx) like Nexus phones receives from Google?
2. If I update my Lumia device for WP8.1 Preview, I'll lost any data?
3. Nokia's features, like the loved Glance Screen, will be gone after I get WP8.1 update?
4. If I install Developer Preview, when Nokia releases WP8.1 for my country (retail phone),
I'll receive WP8.1 with Nokia's new Cyan features, or I will be stuck in Preview software?

thnks :D

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

I used the chinese app to dev unlock my 920 and deploy max of 10 apps..

anyway! I cant seem to find any sources when the Dev Preview of WP 8.1 will be rolled out!!!

impatiently patient..

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

1. Assuming that I'm receiving a 'pure' Windows Phone, I'll get new software updates (GDRx) like Nexus phones receives from Google?
3. Nokia's features, like the loved Glance Screen, will be gone after I get WP8.1 update?
4. If I install Developer Preview, when Nokia releases WP8.1 for my country (retail phone),
I'll receive WP8.1 with Nokia's new Cyan features, or I will be stuck in Preview software?

Read the first post.
1.yes these are the pure OS update from Microsoft in this case
2.No , as the name says update , this will update your OS
3.no , glance screen will still be there black update won't be affected with this update
4.you will get nokia cyan features even after you install developer preview app . In short you will still receive future updates from both nokia and Microsoft.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Did you read the first post at all?

Erik van Dijk

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
I got a message that there was an update available on my Lumia 920 with developer preview program activated.
After i started the update, the system reboots. but now i see the gears rotating, but the update is not finish the install.
so now my Lumia has become useless.

Anyone knows what to do? I tried a reboot, but the update stops everytime at the same point

Kind regards,

Erik

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon