06-02-2015 08:09 AM
358 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I can confirm that when I signed up for the Dev preview and checked for updates (I did this Tuesday 4/1), I got a different build of GDR3, 8.0.10521.155, and from Microsoft's site, it looks like that's the newest version:
    Well that's strange, why would MS publish an update and nokia etc not send it to us consumers if they dont have any firmware to add ? Does anyone know the reason ?
    04-05-2014 10:43 AM
    Well that's strange, why would MS publish an update and nokia etc not send it to us consumers if they dont have any firmware to add ? Does anyone know the reason ?
    This is not at all strange . You will get early access to all Microsoft updates by signing up for developer preview, .155 update is part of them same :)
    04-05-2014 12:58 PM
    Can anyone confirm that this will work on the 810 without ******* things up?
    04-05-2014 06:11 PM
    I followed the steps and my Nokia Lumia 810 detected an update (previously it would not). After going through the install process, the software version being shown is Amber, I was expecting it to be the GDR3 / black!

Using the 'phone update' is not detecting any new updates. So how do I get to GDR3? Is there a way to install via the 810 connected to PC?
    04-05-2014 08:58 PM
    I followed the steps and my Nokia Lumia 810 detected an update (previously it would not). After going through the install process, the software version being shown is Amber, I was expecting it to be the GDR3 / black!

Using the 'phone update' is not detecting any new updates. So how do I get to GDR3? Is there a way to install via the 810 connected to PC?
    The preview program gives you the updates to the OS, but not any firmware or software updates made by the OEM or the carrier. According to Nokia's status page, the updates are not available for the 810, so you won't get Black.
    Availability in North America - Nokia
    anon(7900571) likes this.
    04-05-2014 10:26 PM
    Wish I had done more research before signing up for the Dev Preview ... waste of $19. I was under the impression that via Dev Preview, it would over-ride the carrier updates!
    I was only into like 6 months having bought this phone that they said that it is EOL! Actually I haven't finished the 2-year pay by month! :(

The preview program gives you the updates to the OS, but not any firmware or software updates made by the OEM or the carrier. According to Nokia's status page, the updates are not available for the 810, so you won't get Black.
    Availability in North America - Nokia
    04-06-2014 01:21 AM
    Who told you that we cant getcortana by setting our search and browser language to US English?
    I saw developer SDK videos. In 8.1, there's only one option for region, not 4 like WP 8.0. So region for search cannot be changed and kept separate from overall region
    04-06-2014 03:38 AM
    If I enroll for the Preview program, do I get the Lumia Cyan update after it's release?

I don't want to miss my NOKIA Update for being impatient :P
    04-06-2014 04:50 AM
    If I enroll for the Preview program, do I get the Lumia Cyan update after it's release?

I don't want to miss my NOKIA Update for being impatient :P
    You will.. don't worry 😁
    you will experience the Dev preview first and once Nokia is done polishing its Cyan update you can then unregister your developer account then hit update.

😁
    04-06-2014 05:02 AM
    Wish I had done more research before signing up for the Dev Preview ... waste of $19. I was under the impression that via Dev Preview, it would over-ride the carrier updates!
    I was only into like 6 months having bought this phone that they said that it is EOL! Actually I haven't finished the 2-year pay by month! :(
    You could also choose to use the "Register as a developer with App Studio", thats free and i did that..
    04-06-2014 05:06 AM
    You will.. don't worry 😁
    you will experience the Dev preview first and once Nokia is done polishing its Cyan update you can then unregister your developer account then hit update.

😁
    Will I lose the special capabilities of my lumia when I run RTM 8.1, until nokia releases cyan? Glance particularly worries me. Thanks!
    04-06-2014 07:58 AM
    Will I lose the special capabilities of my lumia when I run RTM 8.1, until nokia releases cyan? Glance particularly worries me. Thanks!
    no you'll keep the features from amber or black, whichever you have when you enroll and when your carrier releases cyan you'll get that. If still on amber you may get black to when your carrier finally approves the update
    svenhassel likes this.
    04-06-2014 08:18 AM
    is the preview gonna be usable on a daytoday phone? I just got a student dreamspark account(not premium) and im gonna dev unlock my phone in a few days around april 11
    so like what will i lose?any features which may no longer be present or any issues which i may encounter
    i understand itll be a beta but i cant wait :D and would love to hear from people who had previous preview releases in the past as to how it might be :)
    the phone im planning to dev unlock is my 720(maybe my other lumias too if its worth it)
    Saksham Sharma likes this.
    04-06-2014 10:16 AM
    is the preview gonna be usable on a daytoday phone? I just got a student dreamspark account(not premium) and im gonna dev unlock my phone in a few days around april 11
    so like what will i lose?any features which may no longer be present or any issues which i may encounter
    i understand itll be a beta but i cant wait :D and would love to hear from people who had previous preview releases in the past as to how it might be :)
    the phone im planning to dev unlock is my 720(maybe my other lumias too if its worth it)
    hey its not a beta !!! It might have A LITTLE bugs, but its certainly not a beta. And i think student dreamspark isn't required, nor is dev unlock. What is required is a windows phone app studio account, and then you have to install the preview for devs app from the store. Then you're good to go. Read the first post's edit portions on this thread.
    04-06-2014 10:48 AM
    I'm in, signed up and now just counting down till developer preview is released.
    04-06-2014 11:19 AM
    As stated in the very first post of the thread, this is not a beta program. Go back and read it. It's good stuff.
    04-06-2014 03:13 PM
    I've registered my device and really looking forward to check all the sweetnes of WP8.1. Just one question - when 8.1 will be available for all users will I have to disable Preview for Developers and, I don't know, reset my device? Or it will by default update with current OS and firmware updates with the program set as enabled?
    04-06-2014 03:36 PM
    I've registered my device and really looking forward to check all the sweetnes of WP8.1. Just one question - when 8.1 will be available for all users will I have to disable Preview for Developers and, I don't know, reset my device? Or it will by default update with current OS and firmware updates with the program set as enabled?
    You can leave the app on :)
    Psyk00 and husslord like this.
    04-06-2014 03:40 PM
    Oh, but, do I need to unregister to get the notification when Lumia Cyan is ready to download?
    04-06-2014 09:01 PM
    Oh, but, do I need to unregister to get the notification when Lumia Cyan is ready to download?
    As stated in the first post, no.
    04-06-2014 09:08 PM
    Just one more week..
    04-06-2014 09:18 PM
    Great thread...thanks!

Registered and ready to rock!
    04-06-2014 10:39 PM
    Do you have to download the preview for developers app and enable it per device? I did it on my 920, but with my 1520 I have not(no reason as it came with .155 version) Or will it not allow me because I thought the free app studio way only alowed for one device per email address. Thanks
    04-06-2014 10:56 PM
    Do you have to download the preview for developers app and enable it per device? I did it on my 920, but with my 1520 I have not(no reason as it came with .155 version) Or will it not allow me because I thought the free app studio way only alowed for one device per email address. Thanks
    you can unregister the 920, when you're finished testing your apps with it, then register your 1520. If your 920 is on dev preview it will be stuck on that version of preview until its next retail version is released. Last preview had the GDR3, then retail, then a small update after retail. So you'd have been upgraded to retail but not the tiny one.
    04-07-2014 01:07 AM
    I am only concerned about the warranty thing. I hope this update is not buggy. I have never tried it but thinking of it. I hope I get the CYAN too after updating to preview.
    04-07-2014 04:44 AM
358 ... 45678 ...