Developer Preview Program - Please read first post before asking questions

Mathematicsb

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Re: Developer Preview Program - What Exactly Is It?

so I did all of this then checked for updates and wow there is one! cool! ok it's not 8.1 no problem I didn't expect it to be but might as well update..... gears.... and the status bar hasn't moved beyond a tiny little chunk.... so how long do I let it sit like this before I start running around the room screaming and crying?
edit: never mind, it's done!, the status bar never moved... which is... awesome...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

so I did all of this then checked for updates and wow there is one! cool! ok it's not 8.1 no problem I didn't expect it to be but might as well update..... gears.... and the status bar hasn't moved beyond a tiny little chunk.... so how long do I let it sit like this before I start running around the room screaming and crying?
I had the same problem updating to "Lumia Black". Wait 15 minutes, and if it hasn't changed restart the phone. Troubleshooter - Nokia Lumia 521 - Nokia - USA Use this link and find your phone for help if it is stuck still.

521 user

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Plug your phone in in recovery mode and it (Nokia recovery tool mentioned earlier) will prompt you to go through the steps to get to the latest retail rom, used that to get my wife's dev 920 off Rodgers rom and back to unbranded, it rolled back the update too. Then I re-updated it.

sharmakartik93

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

Can a normal user download wp8.1. if someone has tried please tell have you faced any problems with it. is the update available in india. when will be the official release

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

FFS there is a HUGE article on WPCENTRAL, describing ALL THE DETAILS about this preview.

READ *** THE *** NEWS !!!

Is that so hard???

Plys its nit just on this side, these tips are widely spread on the internet. I don't get it why people don't use the search, instead they ask stupid questions, without saying at least please or thanks for the effort of other people doing the useless work to explain what is already explained...
Must be a new internet thing, like ****storms or WikiLeaks.
Forumannoyisms :)

- Tapatalk -

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Is it better to register the Developer Preview on the Microsoft account that is put on the phone already or would any Microsoft account will do?

For starters, why are you even using your dad's acct on your ph, set-up your email acct on your ph, & then register that acct with dev preview.
Sure you could prolly use another address, but it's neater & more logical to use the one that you use as the main MS acct on your ph.

Last edited:

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

FFS there is a HUGE article on WPCENTRAL, describing ALL THE DETAILS about this preview.
READ *** THE *** NEWS !!!
Is that so hard???

Indeed, famous Einstein quote about stupidity:
?Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.?

Srsly tough...
All these n00bs asking the same stuff over & over, you literally only need to spend 10min (tops) reading the OP & you'll have your answer to most (if not all) Qns.
Plus the article linked by Chris_Germany is also recommended reading.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Is it better to register the Developer Preview on the Microsoft account that is put on the phone already or would any Microsoft account will do?
It doesn't matter.

Can a normal user download wp8.1. if someone has tried please tell have you faced any problems with it. is the update available in india. when will be the official release
Did you read the first post in the thread?

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Lots of useful information. So first of all, thank you for that. :smile:

I understand what you said about "may void", but i'd just like to be sure about one thing. When i install this program, does it automatically send information to Nokia to kill my warranty? This sounds stupider as i speak further, but does it somehow void my warranty, "over the air"?

All i'm asking is, given that nothing goes wrong, will the Nokia Warranty-status site still say that i have warranty? I don't know how that site keeps track of warranty. Whether it's just a date calculator or if it actually is somehow connected to individual devices. And knows if the user has installed something they're not supposed to. Maybe someone who has done the GDR3 update can verify.

I HAVE done this once, on my previous phone, with the GDR3 update. But my phone was already out of warranty, so i had no way of knowing. I'd really appreciate any help.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

For starters, why are you even using your dad's acct on your ph, set-up your email acct on your ph, & then register that acct with dev preview.
Sure you could prolly use another address, but it's neater & more logical to use the one that you use as the main MS acct on your ph.
He wants control over the phone....case closed

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Lots of useful information. So first of all, thank you for that. :smile:

I understand what you said about "may void", but i'd just like to be sure about one thing. When i install this program, does it automatically send information to Nokia to kill my warranty? This sounds stupider as i speak further, but does it somehow void my warranty, "over the air"?

All i'm asking is, given that nothing goes wrong, will the Nokia Warranty-status site still say that i have warranty? I don't know how that site keeps track of warranty. Whether it's just a date calculator or if it actually is somehow connected to individual devices. And knows if the user has installed something they're not supposed to. Maybe someone who has done the GDR3 update can verify.

I HAVE done this once, on my previous phone, with the GDR3 update. But my phone was already out of warranty, so i had no way of knowing. I'd really appreciate any help.
As I stated in my first post, I have replaced a 928 under warranty while it was running GDR3 Preview.

Additionally, I used to work for one of the largest insurance companies in the world. Specifically, I worked in the extended warranties department. So speaking from experience, if the software is not the cause of a failure, and keep in mind that the warranty only covers hardware, then the warranty can't be voided using the software as an excuse. I was the person that customers would complain to, and I had the authority to overturn previously declined claims, if the declination was incorrect. I had the final say. When looking at a failure, you have to look at the cause of the failure. Was the phone dropped and the screen cracked? Declined based on the misuse/abuse clause. Did the usb port stop working, and the phone is running a preview? Not declined, because the software isn't the cause of the failure. I have a good deal of experience in this area, and working for an insurance company taught me to read every page of every contract I sign. Yes, I did so with my mortgage, too. Much to the chagrin of the lawyers office we were in. That practice kept an insurance adjuster from ripping me off when I hit a deer. He said, "ok, the collision deductible you have is $500." I said, "The contract says that striking an animal is a comprehensive claim, for which I have a $250 deductible, and you know that but you're trying to rip me off."

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

My logical assumption
Once updated to WP8.1, doing a hard reset then will give WP8.1 + Lumia Black?
Or WP8.1 without Lumia Black?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte