Developer Preview Program - Please read first post before asking questions

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Developer Preview Program - What Exactly Is It?

Can somebody give me an exact and clear answer: everywhere I read, that after I get the Dev preview, there is no way back, but I have to ask myself (logicaly), is that truth?

So my question is: Is that really so, that I won?t be able to flash my phone back to the GDR3+black, after I install the WP8.1 Dev. preview? If so, why?

Updating your OS = Reflashing your system / ROM, Read-Only-Memory. Analogy: Your DNA / brain.
Reflashing ROM = Brainwashing the circuit and screws of how your DNA and brain thinks.

Hard Reset will make you forget everything you knew (learnt, corruption) since birth (data stored), but that doesn't change how your DNA looks like or brain thinks.
In actual term, hard reset will erase all user changes, data, corruption, but it doesn't change the ROM, only putting your device into ROM's 'pure vanilla' state.

In the ultimate disaster your ROM gets corrupted, no hard reset will fix because doing it is simply bringing back ROM-state. This is when you need external help in the form of Nokia Care to re-flash your ROM.

This + the security of Windows Phones is why you can't get Update 3 through Hard Reset, because WP simply don't allow modifications to the ROM easily.

Last edited:

abhishekgiri19

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I guess I got the developer preview.. I am not sure though.. currently I am downloading it!!

Cheers!! if it turns out to be WP8.1

P.S: I already have black updated, so no wild guess please :p

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I guess I got the developer preview.. I am not sure though.. currently I am downloading it!!

Cheers!! if it turns out to be WP8.1

P.S: I already have black updated, so no wild guess please :p

you're in for a lol !
Its just a later build of GDR3, everyone who enrolls in dev preview gets this build. So its not 8.1, sadly for you bro.
And its not a wild guess, many people have been made fools like this before you !

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

you're in for a lol !
Its just a later build of black, everyone who enrolls in dev preview gets this build. So its not 8.1, sadly for you bro.
And its not a wild guess, many people have been made fools like this before you !
It isn't black. It's the OS that has a version increase, not the firmware. It's an update to the OS, but it is just bug fixes. Not 8.1.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Hi Friends,
Okay, I have downloaded Preview for Developers app and signed in with my MS account on App Studio. All set to enable the checkbox for 8.1 Preview in the app. But:
[1] If I check it now and click on Done button, will it start updating the OS automatically on the day of Preview release?
[2] I have robust 2G data connection and have never done an OS upgrade in-the-air. Is this connectivity enough for the 8.1 download?
[3] If yes, what should be the size of the update? I mean will it be in gigs? (If yes, then, I think 2G is not a good bet :-(( )

- Ashish

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

1 - answered in first post
2 - You must update over wifi - there is no other option (and I will also put this answer in the first post).

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

Hi Friends,
Okay, I have downloaded Preview for Developers app and signed in with my MS account on App Studio. All set to enable the checkbox for 8.1 Preview in the app. But:
[1] If I check it now and click on Done button, will it start updating the OS automatically on the day of Preview release?
[2] I have robust 2G data connection and have never done an OS upgrade in-the-air. Is this connectivity enough for the 8.1 download?
[3] If yes, what should be the size of the update? I mean will it be in gigs? (If yes, then, I think 2G is not a good bet :-(( )

- Ashish

i can tell you this much, the GDR3 update was about 200mb, but it required close to a GB to install. But this update, having lots and lots and lots of new features, would possibly be about a GB (just a guess).
Better pay for a WiFi hotspot somewhere for a day when the update comes, in case you dont have WiFi. It wont update on anything else except WiFi. I've mentioned the sizes, so you can calculate the time required.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

It isn't black. It's the OS that has a version increase, not the firmware. It's an update to the OS, but it is just bug fixes. Not 8.1.
sorry, i meant to write GDR3. Its an update of the OS, at present being GDR3. I've written 'GDR3' about 3-4 times already to different people, sorry for the mistake here. Going to correct it now.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Hate to post this...
View attachment 61877
But well, might just be Uniquely Singaporean.

Yeah when I sent my phone to Nokia Care Point in the UK, the guy told me that he has software that checks the phone OS version. Nokia gets this data and decides whether the phone would get the free support. I think Samsung has something similar.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah when I sent my phone to Nokia Care Point in the UK, the guy told me that he has software that checks the phone OS version. Nokia gets this data and decides whether the phone would get the free support. I think Samsung has something similar.

Oh well, that sucks :( guess I may have to back out of it. I really enjoy the idea of this and as a developer I don't want to be unable to get my Nokia fixed because dust got in the front facing camera.

idk but if we send our phones when it has caught up with the official release, acting all innocent, i don't think they'll bother to check.

Samsung android devices to my knowledge has a built-in hard-wired flash counter. It is easy for them to tell whether there had been some unauthorised flashing going on; the flash counter somehow can be reset too. This is why i hate to work on samsung devices during my android days.

JediTWang

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on the jurisdiction, some (like most of EU customs) mandate that the manufacturer cannot void hw support/warranty on the basis of sw.
If there's a clear/concise & direct link that can be drawn between the sw & the hw fault, then & only then may an exception be made.
But again, that really depends on the jurisdiction...

Also, you'd have to be unlucky to develop a hw fault long before the official OS release, & if you do, you could chance it, or flash back to the last major fw release.*
In most cases they're not going to be so anally retentive as to discard hw support simply because they (may) see that you've previously used dev_preview or flashed.
Whatsmore, some regional Nokia centres simply ignore local jurisdiction/laws**, so be aware of your rights & be prepared to challenge them on their claims.

*assuming the fault in Qn doesn't prevent that!
**or they're just unaware of them!

Last edited:

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
hi, I just bought a new phone (nokia lumia icon ... I'll receive it this week.) I have the lumia 920 right now. If I want 8.1 on the icon I can't install 8.1 on the 920 right ???
I can install the preview on just one phone ?

​thanks

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
hi, I just bought a new phone (nokia lumia icon ... I'll receive it this week.) I have the lumia 920 right now. If I want 8.1 on the icon I can't install 8.1 on the 920 right ???
I can install the preview on just one phone ?

​thanks
yes if app studio account .... Then only one phone ...if you are a paid dev then 3-4 phones....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs