Still want an actual background for wp8.1?

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I made some quick mock ups of an actual home screen background that some users have been clamoring about. (AKA background behind the tiles, not in them)

In short, this would have been hard to implement well, consistently, and would've been a bit complicated. Least that's what I think. I used 3 different backgrounds.
First, black:
wp_ss_20140331_0001.jpg
No need to explain

wp_ss_20140331_0001b.jpg
All tiles except for xbm are faded a bit. Already we run into a problem: tiles like the xbm tile that just need to be seen.

wp_ss_20140331_0001c.jpg
We can make all tiles transparent, but it really hurts the usability of some of them

wp_ss_20140331_0001d.jpg
I think this could look great, but the totally transparent tiles and the visible tiles really clash. I think tiles give some uniformity and a sense of order.
Also, works best with darker backgrounds, unless MS figures out a way to change the color/brightness of the logos.

wp_ss_20140331_0001efgh.jpg
Looks fine but you can barely see the background.

wp_ss_20140331_0001efg.jpg
Just the themed tiles are faded. This doesn't look too bad, but again, I feel like its clashing. No good.

wp_ss_20140331_0001ef.jpg
Again, except the contrast is even bigger/worse.

wp_ss_20140331_0001e.jpg
Making all of the tiles that I could transparent. Yeah, it's more the same as the above. Now imagine tiles that just use pictures like news apps. pictures on top of another picture? I'm not sure how that would look. I feel like it would look terrible.

a.jpg
Looks fine. Can't see the background (image).

b.jpg
slightly transparent themed tiles. Not too bad. A bit better than above because of the darker background.

c.jpg
no comment

d.jpg
no comment

Really, the best of the above combinations looked decent. I feel like it would be really hard to implement well. Sure, maybe MS could give the user total control on each individual tile, but that would be way complicated, I think that would turn off most users/most people wouldn't bother, oh wait and it looks terrible and/or inconsistent.

I can't believe I spent an hour doing this.

On second thought looking back at this, I'm seriously wondering why people would want to make their tiles transparent. The whole point behind WP8 and W8 is the tiles. It's in their marketing, it's what makes WP stand out. Really, making all (or a fair share of the) tiles transparent (anywhere between 1-100%) is nonsensical. Transparent tiles would make WP8 a whole different OS (on the surface).

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
while the op did a good job with the mock up :) but this reminds me why i don't like pictures behind the tiles. it just looks bad and i don't even see the picture at all. this just makes me glad msft went the route they went

Dev92

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The transparency looks great to me. I just dislike hearing "well it doesn't look good with this particular background picture, so Microsoft shouldn't implement it" because even certain backgrounds on iOS look abysmal depending on which one you use. It wouldn't have hurt to add this feature along with the boreground feature currently coming in 8.1.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
while the op did a good job with the mock up :) but this reminds me why i don't like pictures behind the tiles. it just looks bad and i don't even see the picture at all. this just makes me glad msft went the route they went

I agree. I mean I don't think it looks bad with the tiles totally opaque, but you can't even see the background. With any bit of transparency, it starts to fall apart.
The background on WIndows 8 works because it helps transition between desktop & metro and makes it less jarring. You can also see a good amount of the background.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I mean I don't think it looks bad with the tiles totally opaque, but you can't even see the background. With any bit of transparency, it starts to fall apart.
The background on WIndows 8 works because it helps transition between desktop & metro and makes it less jarring. You can also see a good amount of the background.

yeah the only way to see the background is to make the tiles completely transparent but at that point it look like static icons like ios and android

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

it looks great on windows 8 , because they have large canvas (either tablet or PC ) , and start screen on windows 8 scrolls horizontally :smile:

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
The transparency looks great to me. I just dislike hearing "well it doesn't look good with this particular background picture, so Microsoft shouldn't implement it" because even certain backgrounds on iOS look abysmal depending on which one you use. It wouldn't have hurt to add this feature along with the boreground feature currently coming in 8.1.

The problem isn't just not looking good with a particular picture. Trust me, seeing the last pic in my first post, I want to like it. Enabling transparency brings a ton of usability and design issues.

Dev92

May 24, 2013
Visit site
That is true. I just want to do this with my home-screen, nothing fancy. So close, yet so far away. Sigh* :-/ (I created this in photoshop immediately after my initial post.) WinphoneBack.jpg

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That is true. I just want to do this with my home-screen, nothing fancy. So close, yet so far away. Sigh* :-/ (I created this in photoshop immediately after my initial post.) View attachment 61067

i made this yesterday (you took one hour, i went like 3 xD i'm so slow and good at wasting time), do you like how it looks? i love it.

61020d1396301369t-star-screen.jpg

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I actually like the concept of OPACITY options to set transparency..

but you hardly appreciate the BG image since the tiles fill the start screen... + the addition of "extra tiles" would consume more space than what we used to.

Any way! I dont care wether its Tilepaper or Background wallpaper.. I would still thank Microsoft for bringing this option to us... hopefully more options after the 8.1 update.. gdr4?? or 1.. WP 8.5??

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So I didn't think I would like the way the skinned theme works, but after the video with the parallax, I may like it.. I don't know yet.. but I still would like to see and experiment with this.. or maybe having both background and foreground skins on your phone... let the user screw with their own device to make it look how they want..

Hoss98

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh thank you so much for your efforts that made it very obvious really thanks
and I totally agree with you a background behind wp tiles will be useless and also that affects the system tray I never wanted to have a background pics in my wp. But I was amased when I saw the ability of choosing a picture instead of the accent color I didn't think I gonna have it or wanted to have it one day it was a really smart from Microsoft to add it I liked it so much I liked customizing my start screen through adding the tiles I want and changing their places but this is a great feature and I really love it and thanks again for your efforts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss