I was Pro Transparent tiles, now I'm not.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
After seeing the video, I'm all for the picture mapped tiles... I may need to write an app that converts a picture to shades one color and crops to the right dims though

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
When the tiles will flip , he would get a glimpse it's a windows phone , those square can be seen easily ;)
True new backgrounds will disappoint lot of people including my mom , she would stick with old crimson color with black theme . But hey we are getting something different :D

we want customization option.. other users would appreciate the new BG addition on "THEME hub" at the same time some would not care at all! they would stick with the same option they had been using since the first time they created their startscreen..

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
TBH, it is still very recognizable. Regardless of the kind of background image I have, people know right away that it is a WP. The tiles are still very vibrant and easy to distinguish. Everyone that ha seen it has thought it was very cool. I have run into a couple people that did not like it and thought that since it was an option, it's okay either way.

are you running WP8.1?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
we want customization option.. other users would appreciate the new BG addition on "THEME hub" at the same time some would not care at all! they would stick with the same option they had been using since the first time they created their startscreen..

21 hour more and you will see live what Microsoft will bring new for live tiles ;)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Better than background change. I like that solution found by Microsoft to customize Windows Phone.

For these who don't like, well, just put a solid file or use old options.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd like transparent tiles on Windows 8.1 desktop.
[url]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/lak611/Screenshot11.png~original[/URL]

I like to see my wallpaper beneath the tiles here.

but Laura windows 8.1 is a desktop OS which works on big canvas\monitors or tablets , live tiles scroll horizontally where as windows phone works on phones (ranging from 4-6 inch ) , live tiles scroll vertically. again I will say 21 more hours , have patience all :)
I am quiet sure Microsoft will not disappoint this time :smile:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
TBH, it is still very recognizable. Regardless of the kind of background image I have, people know right away that it is a WP. The tiles are still very vibrant and easy to distinguish. Everyone that ha seen it has thought it was very cool. I have run into a couple people that did not like it and thought that since it was an option, it's okay either way.

Some people think that vibrant colours are too much exaggerated. This new option is a good solution for it.

Bruno Arphenia1

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
They won't get W8 style backgrounds, that's not a choice, that's limitation

That's what I've been talking to several days, Microsoft will own the inverse of the style she cherishes, nothing would be more obvious than the following design windows 8.1. And still does remain with a limitation.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That would be awfull, you know that visibility of your information on certain tile would depend on background? It would criple usability of start menu
You probably notice most of my tiles are small anyway. I really don't use the tiles for information other than for calendar and weather apps. I'm usually in desktop anyway so I don't see much of the start menu.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Why is this a loss? just because you want this look doesn't mean others wont..

And most users would continue using the themed colours anyways

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
of course you don't, that's why this thread isn't about personal experiences..... Its about brand identity.

I actually agree with you. I think that solid colored tiles are simply truer to the metro design language that Zune, WP7/8, and Windows 8 have heralded. I'm not going to use translucent tiles except to maybe introduce another solid color.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss