I was Pro Transparent tiles, now I'm not.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
And this is why Microsoft opted for "tilegrounds", not true backgrounds AND the tilegrounds - without the black/white background to differentiate the tiles it would just look like a giant photo....with some icons scattered around

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey!

I am 100% with taymur.
It's not only about seeing the phone from 2 meters away, it's about the whole design language, which gets lost with the use of these images.
In my opinion you should not always give the choice to customers.

What nonsense!
Everyone should be forced to use same interface because one person likes it? That is just ridiculous.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the point of this thread. If you like backgrounds, you can have a background. If you like metro ui then you can stay with plain tiles.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you know that tiles and live tiles will be on Windows Phone 8.1?

And I can recognize the metro/modern UI in the picture in the op post.

Really, I can't understand the "fear" in the OP.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
What nonsense!
Everyone should be forced to use same interface because one person likes it? That is just ridiculous.

Really, you think this is ridiculous, that's how 90% of our universe operates. Someone creates Something, then Someone else uses it.

I don't see you complaining about cars built-in OSs, every car manufacturer creates his own ridiculous interface, while if one of them just grabs an 8" galaxy tab or an ipad or a surface and throw it in there, they will be done! with way more better experience. soo I don't really get your point.

anyway, what I think this will do is not really pump up WP sales, I guess it will go the other way around. and its just a guess to play with for the next 9 hours :D :D

Blake Quartly

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
...anyway, what I think this will do is not really pump up WP sales, I guess it will go the other way around...

I disagree... The sales lost by Windows Phone not standing out from a couple of meters away will be completely overrun by the sales gained by actually giving people what they want. So many people don't consider WP due to not having backgrounds. Now imagine how many people might be willing to adopt WP now that they can set backgrounds (in an elegant and unique way, might I add).

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Really, you think this is ridiculous, that's how 90% of our universe operates. Someone creates Something, then Someone else uses it.

I don't see you complaining about cars built-in OSs, every car manufacturer creates his own ridiculous interface, while if one of them just grabs an 8" galaxy tab or an ipad or a surface and throw it in there, they will be done! with way more better experience. soo I don't really get your point.

anyway, what I think this will do is not really pump up WP sales, I guess it will go the other way around. and its just a guess to play with for the next 9 hours :D :D

Cars built-in OSs has no relation to the topic of whether users have the freedom to customize the personal smartphones.
This is part of the reasons why android trumps WP in the market. Due to its flexibility.

You think its okay to force everybody to use the old tiles? DO you think its also okay to force everyone to use transparent tiles? Or you want everyone to just use what you like?
Like i said, its a matter of choice. People that want the classic option can go for that and people that want the redefined transparent option can also go for that.

Would it increase their sales? I believe the ability to customize your interface would bring more attraction to the OS.
People like me and many other that like to use their loved ones face as wall papers would have the opportunity to do that once again.

We would have the ability to use artistic wall papers that would bring even more beauty to the UI.
What is there not to love?

There are lots of thread in this forums where people display how they have customized there homescreen.
Maybe if you go through one of those you would understand how greatly desired this feature is and you would see microsoft have taken a big step forward with this move.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I prefer old good WP8 tiles. Simple yet effective.

On the other hand, I am sure the 8.1 tiles can force new users to go with wp 8.1. My wife main argument she wants some desktop background. :D Now it's sorted and I can buy her new Wp8.1 Lumia. Safe.

Last edited:

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

boasist

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll reserve my thoughts until I can see for myself how well it's implemented. The tile structure is still there, now if can personalize it. We shall see.......

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
With the right image it could be rather nice. I could see some people making it look like a custom myspace page from 2006.

For desktop background like to use solid color, simple and subtle textured image. Usually all black of very dark colors. This may work well on the phone too.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Another Whiner - would you like some cheese with that? MS is giving us a choice, much like with Windows 8 - you can use desktop only, or you can use modern UI, or you can use both. If you don't want to use background images, don't. Just stop your whining

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, the more I see the different backgrounds people are using the worse it looks. Watching the build stream, and the videos on WPC, the phones and OS just look cheap.

The way I see it; yes its great to have that personalisation, but when a stranger or prospective windows phone buyer looks at your "all too personal" background, it will put them right off.

The way the text on the tiles simultaneously contrasts and blends with the background (in addition to the tiles that don't utilise your chosen background which stick out like a sore thumb) just looks awful in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb