Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
My experience as an IT professional directly contradicts that. Reality supersedes supposition and conjecture.

Dozens of cases within a small group of regular clients within a single year is not how any reasonable person would define rare. The term for that is common.

I suppose your next argument will be that they do it on purpose just so they can pay me.

Although you're experience as an IT professional may allow you to come to certain conclusions, it still is just anecdotal evidence. I'm going to have to agree with A895 and say that such occurrences are actually rare for users because that is what the data suggests. However I do not agree with his reasoning that it's been 3 years and he hasn’t had any malware/viruses as this too is just anecdotal evidence.

On a more on topic note, I think WP has almost completely closed the gap on iOS and Android. However, I don't believe this will actually draw new users from them because it doesn’t do anything so much better and it won't get most new apps at the same time. If I'm an average user on iOS or Android and I see that a WP can do everything my phone can do but no more than my phone while also not being able to use paper or play clash of clans, why would switch? So I don't think being on par is really going to matter in terms of users. I'm still excited though and my L925 is ready.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a thread about WP vs iOS and Android. Discussions of positives and negatives if all 3 including security by definition are on-topic. :p

BTW I'm primarily a WP and Windows RT guy even though I do own some Android and Linux powered equipment. ;)

No you are wrong, the headline of the thread is:
"Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?"
That is to say we discuss 8.1 things here not WP8, besides this whole forum is dedicated to WP8.1. WP8 things we discuss in the WP8 forum.

But you can be calm, the allogation was not directed to you. :wink:

Aniket Mhatre

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
there is no gap now between windows phone 8.1 and lagdroid (android)/ costly Iphone :wink:
talking about apps then i think windows have all must needed apps.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No you are wrong, the headline of the thread is:
"Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?"
That is to say we discuss 8.1 things here not WP8, besides this whole forum is dedicated to WP8.1. WP8 things we discuss in the WP8 forum.

But you can be calm, the allogation was not directed to you. :wink:

I'm calm, and my points are still on topic since security is something on which you can judge whether or not a platform is up to par.

That is true regardless of if it is 8 or 8.1 being discussed....and I was discussing it with 8.1 in mind. :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
there is no gap now between windows phone 8.1 and lagdroid (android)

There is a gap and if you read up, android is consistently fast and just as fast as iOS in recent devices and software.
/ costly Iphone

The device that costs the same as Android devices and recent Lumia devices such as the 1520 and Icon is expensive?
:wink:
talking about apps then i think windows have all must needed apps.

For YOU. Still key apps for some missing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am a Windows Phone fan who has moved to Android and also really likes that OS. I left Windows Phone after my Lumia 900 because WP8 did not address things I was unhappy with. 8.1 addresses many of these. Notification center is a HUGE deal. So are the quick settings toggles, that is something I use multiple times every single day on Android. Cortana looks great. From what we have seen of Cortana, it does not look any better than Google Now to me, but I can see how having a "Siri like" personality could appeal to some people, I'm just not one of them. I doubt I'll switch to Windows Phone as my primary device still, but I will probably pick up a 635 to play with and have as a second phone. The biggest reason I will keep Android as my primary phone is still apps. It isn't about having the "Top 50 apps" from the other platforms. Of all the apps I use, 2 or 3 are in the popular apps lists. For me, it is the mid tier apps that make the difference. For example, my DLink router has a great iOS and Android app to control and monitor it remotely, no Windows Phone support.

All in all though, I think that 8.1 has brought Windows Phone into feature parity as far as the core OS goes.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm calm, and my points are still on topic since security is something on which you can judge whether or not a platform is up to par.

That is true regardless of if it is 8 or 8.1 being discussed....and I was discussing it with 8.1 in mind. :)
Yes, your security points are passed, but don't feed the trolls, just smasch them. :grin:

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Lets see what Today and Tommorow's keynote has to offer about WP8.1 OR what will the devs tell after April 10 Preview...

If WP still misses on basic functionality and the continous with its pathetic bland native apps,and very less new APIs,then I guess It still lags behind by a fair margin...

And I guess We must compare it to iOS cause WP is actually more like that...and It models to be iOS: closed,secure (Lol),slick and clear

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Like a lot of other people are saying here: it's now all about the apps. I don't think the OS has a lot of major missing features anymore. Certainly can't think of anything right now on the spot.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, I still think the major difference is that we are missing a full feature suite for our computer. We need an iTunes equivalent! Also anyone else think it's weird that on every start screen we've seen the xbox music/music+videos tile was hidden?

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes. They did a great job on Windows Phone 8.1. I can't wait for the developer preview to to be put on my phone!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No, I still think the major difference is that we are missing a full feature suite for our computer. We need an iTunes equivalent! Also anyone else think it's weird that on every start screen we've seen the xbox music/music+videos tile was hidden?

Its called Xbox Music and Videos. That's your iTunes equivalent.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its called Xbox Music and Videos. That's your iTunes equivalent.

Can you sync your music with those apps? Can you download apps to your phone with that? Can you sync playlists through that? I'm getting sick of WMP cause I bought a music pass and it doesn't work with WMP.

CherokeeMarty

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
WP is pursuing a rapid development schedule in comparison to Android and iOS. WP is making evolutionary changes whereas iOS is stagnating. Unless Apple is going to announce really significant at the WWDC in June, then iOS will really fall behind the development curve. WP is the equal of iOS, while being a much smoother operation.

Android is a different story. Too many cooks are spoiling the broth. The OS updates are not as evolutionary.

WP is moving to the forefront, and is clearly establishing itself as the best OS with the WP8.1 update, with BB10 a close second.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Can you sync your music with those apps? Can you download apps to your phone with that? Can you sync playlists through that? I'm getting sick of WMP cause I bought a music pass and it doesn't work with WMP.

Windows Mobile or Windows Phone? Windows phone 7 or Windows Phone 8?

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
This is bttr than Android, but not lyk iOS
Yes Apps are still limited, but i think this problem will be solved as now WP8.1 has more functionality and therefore its more attractive to developers
So yes its is on par with both the other MOS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon