Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

Tragic

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree with a lot of you. I believe Windows Phone 8.1 has really narrowed, and if not closed the gap between itself iOS, ad Android. I think the only real problem Microsoft is facing here in the US is carrier exclusivity. If you look at the iPhone it is available on all US carriers both the iPhone 5s and 5c. A lot of the Flagship Android are again, available on all carries, but when it comes to Windows Phone sadly the only way to get the device you want that isn't available for your carrier is to buy a full unlock device. Many consumer in the US don't both or don't want to buy a phone full price to use on their carrier. Its cheaper for them to use the next best thing to them that's open them and sadly its a iPhone or Android device that they see. I think that if all Windows Phone devices where available across the spectrum, we would see a huge jump in adoption rate which in turn, would lead to some serious competition between the big 3 OS here in the sates.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't buy the notion that a lot of iOS users are bored and waiting to jump to something else. I think they're perfectly happy as clams in the iOS ecosystem. I honestly don't know what Microsoft can do to attract new customers away from iOS/Android. I think it's pretty much doomed to < 5% marketshare.

Some people (and/or companies) may be tired of spending fortunes to buy Iphone, paying more than they can to have much more than they really need. I'm talking about Apple here. Very few options and always cost much. Some people may want larger screens, thinner devices, cameraphones, NFC and other things.

Some Android customers may be tired of bad low-cost options. Since Android NEEDS at least a brand new design Dual Core - not this garbages 2009~2011 processors and chipsets (most of them) - AND 2GB RAM to really works. Freezes, reboots, bad memmory management, etc. I'm only speak problems about problems here, I know Android is a very good OS an we know the benefits widely.

I know a countless people who migrate to Windows Phone and they are very satisfied and excited with the Windows Phone ecosystem. Happy to pay so little to have much (Lumias 520, 620, 720 and 820). I know only one person dissatisfied about WP. And that's probably because the Lumia 710 ( WP7 ) was still a very raw.

If all companies think like you, there would be no innovation and no one would try to enter in a market that is dominated by other company. That would be good? I don't think so.

Anyway, IMHO, there's a lot of space here to offers a good choice for than Apple and Android customers.

Last edited:

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll go ahead and just say that it's on par. It's still missing some things, like proper landscape support, and still has the same outdated Office from Windows Phone 7.0.

However if Microsoft takes 18 months to ship the next major update again, the OS will fall behind yet again.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd say, that WP 8.1 is at a similar level as iOS and Android. Cortana seems better PDA than the ones found in the competitor's OSs.
than there are stuff, that some consider as a flaw in a system (the lack of file explorer - which I don't really miss that much..) the limitations of apps/OS connectivity (that are bad for users creativity, but good for safety), so you can't really blame M$ for those...

than there are some minor stuff that we could use, but can live without (the auto off cappacitive lights on video preview, split screen, number of apps etc.)
however, I can hardl wait for the update!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I would say don't worry folks. There's still a lot more information to come today and tomorrow. ;)

Not everyone will get what they want, but that's always true with anything.

Also just to point out...for folks who are saying they will jump ship, that's fine. That's to be expected, and I don't expect or want people sticking with a product that doesn't fit what they want.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I think, for purposes of growing the user base, it's always been about the apps. What MS does on the development side is IMO more important than what they do in the OS feature side. Yes, people want all the improvements that WP8.1 brings, but I think few people rejected a purchase because there weren't toggles for WiFi. I do think LOTS of people rejected a purchase because the WP logo was never anywhere to be seen in corporate advertisements on TV, newspapers, Internet etc.

Absolutely true. And it's the reason I'm hesitant (yet very tempted) and others I've discussed this matter with won't even consider WP.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly Microsoft is 3 years behind iOS and Android in terms of engineering. How can they ever catch up when Apple/Google are pedal-to-the-metal all guns blazing? Apple & Google will never make the MS mistake of resting on their laurels. Not that Microsoft was ever an innovator, so I'm not sure the historical comparisons even apply.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly Microsoft is 3 years behind iOS and Android in terms of engineering. How can they ever catch up when Apple/Google are pedal-to-the-metal all guns blazing? Apple & Google will never make the MS mistake of resting on their laurels. Not that Microsoft was ever an innovator, so I'm not sure the historical comparisons even apply.

So, if Microsoft is 3 years behind, what does iOS and/or Android have that WP8.1 doesn't?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So, if Microsoft is 3 years behind, what does iOS and/or Android have that WP8.1 doesn't?

It's not just about wp getting an application or functionality, it's about it being wp first shot... vs iOS and Android that have had multiple updates on the same application/functionality over the years.

The maturity of applications and bug squashing takes time.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
gvOWrjy.jpg

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

They weren't resting on their laurels. While making WM7 (Photon) they realized it wouldn't be enough. They decided to take a huge risk and scrap their entire last decade worth of work to start over fresh with nothing to tie it to the old OS.

That's not resting on laurels. That's taking a huge gamble...and hoping that strategy pays off. You can question whether or not they made the wrong move, certainly. However resting on their laurels is as far as you can get from what they've been doing.

As regards not being innovative...they were practically single-handedly responsible for the entire home PC revolution...and also responsible for a huge ton of the early consumer smartphone market.

DirectX, Xbox the first truly broadband capable and fully online multiplayer console, Zune HD which had HD Radio and an OLED screen, SPOT watches, I can keep going...

I call that a lot of hard work. Without Microsoft a lot of the tech you see today would likely have never existed.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft messed up long before Google and Apple were even thinking about mobile.. in fact, Google wasn't even a company at that point. So if you think that MS are behind them in any way.. you are just referring to recent developments..

If you look deeper into the history of what happened, the big blow to MS came from Nokia in the mid/late 90s and early 00s.

Bill Gates knew exactly how important mobile was, and this is exactly why they started the Pegasus project, or as most of us know it.. Windows CE

The History of Microsoft Windows CE - Windows CE 1.0x - HPC Factor

pegasus-logo.gif

A pocket form factor; size should not exceed 18x10x2.5 cm (7x4x1 in)
?Power supplied by two AA batteries
?Weigh less than 500g (1 pound)
? QWERTY keyboard containing standard keys Ctrl, Alt and Shift)
? LCD touch screen display of 480x240 pixels with 4 grayscales and 2 bits per pixel
?Stylus to use like a mouse on the touch screen
?Minimum of 4 MB of ROM
?Minimum of 2 MB of RAM with a redundant power source
?HPSIR compatible Infrared port
?RS-232 Serial port
?PCMCIA slot
?Built-in audio output device
?Run on the SuperH 3, MIPS 3000 or MIPS 4000 processor architecture

This was back in 1996!

Unfortunately for Microsoft things didn't go as planed in terms of getting the big phone OEMs on board with them, which at the time were Nokia, Ericsson, and Motorola.

Nokia chose Symbian, for various reason including technical and political, and took Ericsson and Motorola with them. This was the tipping point for MS and their mobile efforts.. they got stuck with desktop OEMs to design mobile phones.

It was just really just bad timing.. Their OS was more resource hungry than Symbian, and overall the hardware just wasn't ready for Windows.. its simply wasn't powerful enough, so they (MS) had to let off the gas, and by the time they realized that its time to step on it again Apple and Google snuck in.. great/lucky timing on their part.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
To me....WP8.1 performance is better than android and on par with ios..the only thing it still behind is the app n game in app store..

Run iOS 7 (Rainbow Bright) on a dual core like my 1020 wp has and see what performance you get. iOS gets it performance by having higher hardware specs.

shank1020

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Almost. Microsoft has done everything it CAN do, and has almost completely caught up. The only thing missing in my opinion is well-done Google services and apps. The lack of these services makes it difficult for a user of any of Google services to completely switch to WP. Microsoft just has to wait for the market to respond to all that's been added to WP, hopefully increasing market share and hopefully forcing Google to finally play nice with WP.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They weren't resting on their laurels. While making WM7 (Photon) they realized it wouldn't be enough. They decided to take a huge risk and scrap their entire last decade worth of work to start over fresh with nothing to tie it to the old OS.

That's not resting on laurels. That's taking a huge gamble...and hoping that strategy pays off. You can question whether or not they made the wrong move, certainly. However resting on their laurels is as far as you can get from what they've been doing.

As regards not being innovative...they were practically single-handedly responsible for the entire home PC revolution...and also responsible for a huge ton of the early consumer smartphone market.

DirectX, Xbox the first truly broadband capable and fully online multiplayer console, Zune HD which had HD Radio and an OLED screen, SPOT watches, I can keep going...

I call that a lot of hard work. Without Microsoft a lot of the tech you see today would likely have never existed.

Alot of hard work on bad ideas. Funny how Apple and Google just keep making hit after hit while MS flounders.

Milan Plecas

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
WP8.1 has already caught up with and even managed to surpass both Android and IOS

With the WP8.1 upgrade Microsoft managed to resolve all issues causing an inferior experience as well as deploy enough innovative features and the most advanced personal assistant to date, who cares if Apple had Siri years ago, actually it makes Cortana that much more impressive, even with a multi year head start Siri is still unable to come.close to the capabilities and functionality of Cortana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb