Do you think WP8.1 is on par with IOS and ANDROID?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally I believe it has. Question is going forward can they maintain the pace of apple and google or will we forever be getting excited with big updates that catch us up...after spending another a year behind the others.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Seems a pretty disappointing update. Cortana is a rip off of Google Now - a creepy feature that few people use. It does a bit more than Siri, which also few people use. The notification centre is a rip off of iOS when they should have ripped off Android. It misses the most basic feature that mobile phones have had for decades - icons that show what notifications you have in a bar at the top of the screen! I wonder if Microsoft are really trying.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Seems a pretty disappointing update. Cortana is a rip off of Google Now - a creepy feature that few people use. It does a bit more than Siri, which also few people use. The notification centre is a rip off of iOS when they should have ripped off Android. It misses the most basic feature that mobile phones have had for decades - icons that show what notifications you have in a bar at the top of the screen! I wonder if Microsoft are really trying.

Google Now is only as creepy as you allow it to be. Unlike Siri, you have to opt in to use it and it can be disabled.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
As far as my needs are concerned WP is on par with both iOS and Android.
I've been a long time Symbian and android user and frankly i got tired of both. The endless tweaking, lagging (if you want a lag free android phone you need to buy expensive phones), late updates (My Optimus 3D was just receiving ICS while newer phones were running 4.2.2 - a year and a half after official announcment) etc.. All I wanted was a phone that was not expensive, works fast and stable, has all the features I need (WP8 has most of them, but not all. WP 8.1 now fixed that). I bought an HTC 8S for 140$ and never looked back.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Google Now is only as creepy as you allow it to be. Unlike Siri, you have to opt in to use it and it can be disabled.

Yes, that's exactly what I did (disable it, that is). Because it is creepy. For me, it would be better if Google had spent their money on some other feature - and the same for Cortana on Windows Phone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly what I did (disable it, that is). Because it is creepy. For me, it would be better if Google had spent their money on some other feature - and the same for Cortana on Windows Phone.

For you. Google and Cortana only have as much data as you give them.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i already preferred WP to android, the designer in me, always liked the simpler formulaic, known quantity GUI / homescreen to that of the cluttered mess and noisy to the eye android widgets/icons affair - IOS isnt bad to be fair, and have no beefs with that, but android for me, in terms of looks only, is the bottom of the pile - only thing i worry about is that WP doesn't start to become like android ;p

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i already preferred WP to android, the designer in me, always liked the simpler formulaic, known quantity GUI / homescreen to that of the cluttered mess and noisy to the eye android widgets/icons affair - IOS isnt bad to be fair, and have no beefs with that, but android for me, in terms of looks only, is the bottom of the pile - only thing i worry about is that WP doesn't start to become like android ;p

Cluttered mess? Android can be as clean as you want it to be.

Attachments

• 1396613598139.jpg
    1396613598139.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Cluttered mess? Android can be as clean as you want it to be.

People here fear customization. Nothing new. There are even multiple threads speaking against Windows Phone wallpapers.

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so there is a 3.5" device of Windows Phone yet, the least is 3.8".

Do anyone of you like this concept? Don't you see the idea of making Windows Phone look more like Windows 8.1?

My twitter: @NikCR7

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
So tell me if I have this wrong:1. Now I must pay to use the Xbox Music that came with my phone, even when listening to music I own (local files).
2. No Live Tile depicting the artist now playing.
3. No way to continue using MPATool to improve on the album and artist art that MS only gets right when you buy it from them and store it bin the cloud.
4. Incur huge data bills while listening to that music stored in the cloud...even if they are my files.

Well if Music and it's visual presentation is what draws you to a phone then I see why my friends have iPhones and use iTunes

First they kill a great Zune program and now that the Xbox music hub is working we lose it too. Hmm...both of those were free programs right? Anyone else see a TREND??

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So tell me if I have this wrong:1. Now I must pay to use the Xbox Music that came with my phone, even when listening to music I own (local files).
2. No Live Tile depicting the artist now playing.
3. No way to continue using MPATool to improve on the album and artist art that MS only gets right when you buy it from them and store it bin the cloud.
4. Incur huge data bills while listening to that music stored in the cloud...even if they are my files.

Well if Music and it's visual presentation is what draws you to a phone then I see why my friends have iPhones and use iTunes

First they kill a great Zune program and now that the Xbox music hub is working we lose it too. Hmm...both of those were free programs right? Anyone else see a TREND??

All platforms, you have to pay for music. Xbox Music also allows you to download music (over WiFi) for offline playback (just like other platforms).

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

tile notifications aren't better than a 'bar'? You really need to use one before you complain about it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
tile notifications aren't better than a 'bar'? You really need to use one before you complain about it.

No. The bar has a couple of advantages - critical information is always visible - not just notifications, but also whether the phone is connected to a network or is about to run out of power (except when specifically hidden by an app, in which case you will be actively using the app and will see/hear/feel notifications as they happen); no need to look at the whole screen or scroll through tiles (which, let's be honest, don't always have the clearest notifications); visible on lock screen; good summary of information when you have too many notifications for a single screen.

I have used WP and fully understand tile notifications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro