WP8.1 announcements that didn't make it to the stage

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Cortana will be beta in US
US, UK, China launch - second half of 2014 i.e. AFTER June 2014.
Rest of the world - 2015 first half.

Third party apps will be able to hook into People Hub..with ability to show "large" inline photos. So basically an updated "blue" app for Facebook, Twitter, Path, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest - can all hook into People Hub beautifully if devs are bothered to update to blue.

Cortana (yes!) and Many, Many Other Great Features coming in Windows Phone 8.1

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
All this pretty exciting for us fans.

The keynotes were inspiring!
The behind the scenes stuff that's happening along with the noted changes just might drive WP enough.

I think this conference will cause an incline.
Anxious to see what other positives pop up.

Wish I was down there taking all this in.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is indeed amazing stuff but what Microsoft is going to end up doing is what they did with Mango. Give too much of time away for others to catch up. Other matured OS(es) only need a few weeks to bash something together than easily makes everything Microsoft did here a year old, leaving it feel like a catch up again in 2 months. They should've released something, at least dev previews - asap to get the reviews and media buzzing with Cortana and other delight features. There is only so much they can let Daniel et al, play right now during 3 days of conference.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Give too much of time away for others to catch up. Other matured OS(es) only need a few weeks to bash something together than easily makes everything Microsoft did here a year old, leaving it feel like a catch up again in 2 months. They should've released something, at least dev previews - asap to get the reviews and media buzzing with Cortana and other delight features. There is only so much they can let Daniel et al, play right now during 3 days of conference.

This is true.
Sometimes I wonder if program flow thru Microsoft suffers from too many minds tugging at development directives.
Could be that Microsoft is thinking the platforms shouldn't mirror each other then end up being similar in the consumers eyes.

Face forward for me I thought WP was much different initially.
Looks like the struggle to overtake is guided by leveling features out to please users who insist on apps, and other services available elsewhere.
For me I entered into support for this platform for hardware performance over other considerations.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Cortana will be beta in US
US, UK, China launch - second half of 2014 i.e. AFTER June 2014.
Rest of the world - 2015 first half.

Third party apps will be able to hook into People Hub..with ability to show "large" inline photos. So basically an updated "blue" app for Facebook, Twitter, Path, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest - can all hook into People Hub beautifully if devs are bothered to update to blue.

Cortana (yes!) and Many, Many Other Great Features coming in Windows Phone 8.1

Lock-screen themes?!!! Third column of tiles on all device screens?? Good god this is going to be a huge update.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What about File Manager, Wifi Direct, Swipe down to close apps? These weren't mentioned :(

They aren't in the blog post either. He didn't show any apps closed by swiping down or file manager.
Actually, Joe did mention on stage that cortana will be a beta in the US.

What he didn't mention was the time lines of how long for beta and when others get it. Blog tells us that.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
They aren't in the blog post either. He didn't show any apps closed by swiping down or file manager.

What he didn't mention was the time lines of how long for beta and when others get it. Blog tells us that.

today is keynote 2 can we expect some more features about wp8.1 discuss during that??

anon(5725119)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the SDK, and while playing with the emulator I noticed a search button in the messaging hub, so we can finally search our messages which is very useful. I've wanted that feature for ages. Also, if I search something like "Are you going tonight?" in Cortana, it will show messages I've sent containing that phrase. She can also search your calendar and contact book. There's probably other things too but there's only so much you can do with an emulator, I haven't stumbled across much else that she can do that hasn't been mentioned. I assume she can search emails etc as well.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
They never went into much detail on the battery sense and automatic mode which dramatically increases the battery life. What's the difference between automatic mode and battery saver mode? And any word on backing up game saves in 8.1?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
They never went into much detail on the battery sense and automatic mode which dramatically increases the battery life. What's the difference between automatic mode and battery saver mode? And any word on backing up game saves in 8.1?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

According to previous information phone backups now save all of your app data too (finally!). Automatic mode I assume is the same as the current battery saver profile, except it probably tweaks a few things like screen brightness and cellular/wifi batch updating. I really like the ability to choose which apps are on in Battery Saver though, it means you can find out which apps are actually draining your phone!!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It is indeed amazing stuff but what Microsoft is going to end up doing is what they did with Mango. Give too much of time away for others to catch up. Other matured OS(es) only need a few weeks to bash something together than easily makes everything Microsoft did here a year old, leaving it feel like a catch up again in 2 months. They should've released something, at least dev previews - asap to get the reviews and media buzzing with Cortana and other delight features. There is only so much they can let Daniel et al, play right now during 3 days of conference.
Yeah... Just an example, but wasn't just a month or two later that Siri came to life - right after TellMe was in Mango? And Apple was the "first" with such a thing...

What about File Manager, Wifi Direct, Swipe down to close apps? These weren't mentioned :(
Lots of things weren't mentioned that are there. It was a high level overview. File Manager is such a minor thing that I would have skipped it even if it was there, were I doing the presentation. Swipe down to close apps? Why? To be like everyone else? They gave us an unnecessary way to close apps with previous updates. There's no need for this one.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Give too much of time away for others to catch up. Other matured OS(es) only need a few weeks to bash something together than easily makes everything Microsoft did here a year old, leaving it feel like a catch up again in 2 months.

Next years Build is going to be "hey we're going to have everything Android released in the last 12 months by the end of the year. At the same time I predict most of us WON'T have Cortana functioning. But as Google run a global search engine all Android users will! Microsoft's "hey look at Cortana" posts on Facebook are making my blood boil!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss