Extra column of live tile availability

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Conversations says that the extra column of live tile shall be available to all the devices and they specifically talk about the 520 which has just 4in screen. Is it necessary? How many of you are happy about it?

avigyan

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It might not look horrible. Maybe MS has optimized it according the screen size so that it doesn't look ugly. Remember our initial thoughts on the new start screen backgrounds, which later turned out to be amazing due to the parallax effect?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It would make the start screen clutter , hard to touch small live tiles , they will squeeze the size of live tiles to get them fit in 4 inch phone.

Amritash Pathania

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I still have one doubt , today when I saw official video of wp8.1 . When he used notification center in 630 .it has 4 quick setting toggles .and when he used 1520 it has 5 . I wonder whether it depends on the 2 column or 3 column tiles

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I still have one doubt , today when I saw official video of wp8.1 . When he used notification center in 630 .it has 4 quick setting toggles .and when he used 1520 it has 5 . I wonder whether it depends on the 2 column or 3 column tiles

That depends on screen size , lumia 630 does not have enough room for one extra slot where as lumia 1520 has 6 inch screen , more room for customization :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Its confirmed now ! I read on nokia conversations right now, 520 is getting 3 columns too ! Besides, a guy checked in the 4inch phone emulator of sdk, he also has confirmed 3 columns !!! Yippee ! (though i know it would be useless-

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll give it a try on my 521 just to see how it looks. I'm guessing on a smaller screen it will be most beneficial to use only with medium and wide tiles. At least that is how I think it will work for me. The small tiles don't generally do a lot as a live tile anyway. Glad it's an option anyway.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay there... I have a Lumia 520 that is running a build of WP8.1 (at work in the lab). It WILL support the extra row. If you are one to use SMALL tiles, you are not going to like it much, but Med and Large tiles are good on the screen. Unlike some, I have big hands and big fingers. Little tiles on anything smaller than 5" would be hard for me to use. I did set it up with Med and Large tiles, was able to get more on the screen and had no issues with using it.

Hope that helps.

Mayur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

There has been lots of speculations and mis-information about this,

-setting of 2 or 3 columns has nothing to do it, see videos of 930 which has 3 columns but still only 4 quick settings
-then there was info in one of WPC article that 5 quick settings option is only for 1080p screens, once again not true as 930 has 1080p screen but only 4 quick settings

I believe that this in only available on screen size 5+ inch, screen size 5 inch and less will have only 4 quick settings by default.

Mayur

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
3 column mode on the 620 is going to look hilarious.

Simple solution - don't use it or use it but with only medium and large size tiles, small tiles is going to be too small, but hilarious? No. As a reference it will be almost same size as "Enter" key on your WP keyboard.

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Simple solution - don't use it or use it but with only medium and large size tiles, small tiles is going to be too small, but hilarious? No. As a reference it will be almost same size as "Enter" key on your WP keyboard.
3 column mode on the 620 won't look hilarious. I'm sure Microsoft has done something to make the tiles still touchable

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My comment will not address the smaller screens, but I picked up an Icon last night, and those three columns are sure nice on that phone. Where my 928 had enough tiles pinned that I would swipe my thumb 2-3 times to get to the bottom, on the Icon I've got two full screens worth of height, plus one row of small tiles, so I get to the bottom in one swipe. On top of that, I'm using a couple of large tiles where I used medium before, using the wide WPCentral tile where I had used small before, and using several medium tiles where I'd used small. So I'm seeing more information, and swiping less.

Yes, I like it.

On a 480x800 screen, I don't think I would. But as people often say, choice is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo