My thoughts on WP 8.1 and how MS should proceed.

RadioActive199

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had the time to read the whole thread here, but I have been a windows phone user since a year and half and here are my thoughts:

I have been a Apple fan since the beginning, I still am (don't start hating, read on). I am a developer for both Android and iOS, Imma a huge mobile - geek. Which means, I follow all the kinds of news, updates and stuff like that. I am also into Jailbreaking, rooting etc (not for illegal purposes but for the tweaks).

As I said, I have been a windows phone user for a year and a half now, and the only reason I bought a Lumia 720 was because well, it was in my budget and I didn't have a windows phone device in. With a windows phone device, I now have 3 iOS devices, 4 Android and 1 Windows Phone.

I was impressed by MS's new creative OS, and i really feel for the animations :p :p But I really love the OS and would give up all my android devices for a really nice windows phone. With the 8.1 update, I really think MS is heading in the right direction and I was really impressed with the new updates they have introduced. I really can't wait to get my hands on the dev preview. From what I hear, and I am still confused about this, is that I won't be able to Cortana because I live in India? Seems really disappointing if that's the case. But nevertheless, I'm sure with Satya Nadella now heading MS, WP will be able to take on Apple and Android by the time 8.3 or so hits the shelfs.

The only thing MS needs to take care of this to keep supporting older devices and to push out updates ASAP. I thing I really love about apple is that their updates don't have to go through the painful OEM process. Which means people get the update as soon as they are released.

So to keep in short and conclude in a short summary, MS needs to keep a eye on the clock and push the updates ASAP, new features (unique ones) need to be introduced and some features I really want from Cortana are: Always listening feature (i know it hogs memory but it really makes a difference), a better UI (I really liked how MS used cortana on their presentation screen, nice and simple).

Well, that's me. I explained things really randomly so feel free to ask questions or post your thoughts :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral. :smile:

You make some great points. There is nothing wrong with liking multiple platforms. I don't have any Apple products, but I like Linux. In fact, I'm going to a Linux User Group meeting tomorrow. Many people use multiple platforms, and that is great if those platforms support the users' needs.

I don't think Cortana will always be for the US only. My belief is that the US will be the beta testers so to speak, and then once all the bugs are worked out Cortana will be available in other countries.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The quick update push for Windows is an important and key element certainly no denying this.
Good input!

yehuda92

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I dont think "always listening" is as needed as you may think. With the dedicated search button its always going to be easy to get to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon