What's still missing in wp 8.1?

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I like the wp 8.1 update, brings useful features, however it is still missing functionality compared to iOS and android.
1.On my iPhone I just have to swipe up and click flashlight while on windows phone I would need to unlock and open a live tile, idk why Microsoft didn't put one in action center. Hopefully they will fix this with and update.
2. I can print on my iPhone and my android tablet. Winfows phone does not have printing support, so even though I can edit documents with word, what use is it if I can't print?
3. It blaster so I can control my tv
4.Wow, I think that is about it. Also, apps! I know you say windows phone have apps but I see so many apps on TV that only support iPhone and android. Amazon just launched there fire tv and you are suppose to be able to control it with your phone, but IDK if they are making an app for wp or not. Ok, I need candy crush, blackboard, chrome, and google play music before I can switch to WP. Microsoft please get the top apps and printing support and I will switch.

Anything else you would like to add?

AliNSiddiqui

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the only thing that WP is still lacking in is the app store, all the big new "trendy" apps like Quiz Up, Tinder, Smash Hit and other apps all come to iOS and Android only, and then maybe Windows Phone, I guess this is directly linked to marketshare..

I hope WP8.1 fixed those random battery draining (which apparently 80% of the people have according to the poll) and notification delays on WhatsApp (and other apps) many people were having.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the printing function, I need this!

Apps are coming (or at least we are told this constantly). I need banking, shopping, loyalty, games, etc.

Other than that I'm real happy with 8.1

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have seen no mention of an updated music interface for WP 8.1. For local music collections the current one stinks. That would complete all my needs.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the wp 8.1 update, brings useful features, however it is still missing functionality compared to iOS and android.
1.On my iPhone I just have to swipe up and click flashlight while on windows phone I would need to unlock and open a live tile, idk why Microsoft didn't put one in action center. Hopefully they will fix this with and update.
2. I can print on my iPhone and my android tablet. Winfows phone does not have printing support, so even though I can edit documents with word, what use is it if I can't print?
3. It blaster so I can control my tv
4.Wow, I think that is about it. Also, apps! I know you say windows phone have apps but I see so many apps on TV that only support iPhone and android. Amazon just launched there fire tv and you are suppose to be able to control it with your phone, but IDK if they are making an app for wp or not. Ok, I need candy crush, blackboard, chrome, and google play music before I can switch to WP. Microsoft please get the top apps and printing support and I will switch.

Anything else you would like to add?

- Google Play Music - there is Cloudmuzik Beta - it works great, I have no issues with streaming from my content.
- Chrome - mobile chrome is a resource hog, even on Android. IE11 will suit your needs just fine for whatever you need to do on the web - plus, you can pin sites to your start screen with IE.
- Blackboard - not sure what exactly this is - but im sure the more people that email and request them to make a Windows 8 / WP app, the better chance we have to get it on the platform.
- Candy Crush - really, people still play that?

Amran Nagal

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry but where is File Manager?
Ability to download files directly into the phone
So many leaks! And they have hardly delivered anything.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
- Google Play Music - there is Cloudmuzik Beta - it works great, I have no issues with streaming from my content.
- Chrome - mobile chrome is a resource hog, even on Android. IE11 will suit your needs just fine for whatever you need to do on the web - plus, you can pin sites to your start screen with IE.
- Blackboard - not sure what exactly this is - but im sure the more people that email and request them to make a Windows 8 / WP app, the better chance we have to get it on the platform.
- Candy Crush - really, people still play that?

Blackboard is a website used to keep track of your classes and submit work. The app on iOS is pretty decent.
Candy Crush? Well, being that it is the second highest revenue generator on iOS still.. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people still play it.

Anyway, one thing that I'm still wondering about is gif support in texting. Also if your buttons will stop glowing during a video. I noticed in Daniel's preview of 8.1, he played a video and the on-screen buttons didn't disappear. He didn't even mention it which is kind of amusing. I can't believe Microsoft would keep the on-screen buttons there during a video. What an incredibly stupid oversight.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually it seems like not a big deal. Bigger fishes to fry etc.

There are far more pressing concerns than fixing such a minor issue. I wouldn't even call it an inconvenience.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually it seems like not a big deal. Bigger fishes to fry etc.

There are far more pressing concerns than fixing such a minor issue. I wouldn't even call it an inconvenience.

Examples? Because it's little things like this keeping me off the platform. My 1020 is collecting dust because of little annoyances.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Daniel shows settings for the illuminated buttons in one of the videos posted yesterday. I think it was the general 8.1 hands on.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Examples? Because it's little things like this keeping me off the platform. My 1020 is collecting dust because of little annoyances.

You really need some examples of more pressing concerns than the capacitive touch lights staying on during video playback? How about Xbox Music, NFC, Wallet usage and APIs, attachments in emails, file picker, sort order of settings, app folders, support for Bing features outside of US and so on and so on.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Also if your buttons will stop glowing during a video. I noticed in Daniel's preview of 8.1, he played a video and the on-screen buttons didn't disappear. He didn't even mention it which is kind of amusing. I can't believe Microsoft would keep the on-screen buttons there during a video. What an incredibly stupid oversight.
You can turn them off today, you don't need WP8.1 for this. Turn on battery saving mod and they will disapear when you play.

:smile:

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
You really need some examples of more pressing concerns than the capacitive touch lights staying on during video playback? How about Xbox Music, NFC, Wallet usage and APIs, attachments in emails, file picker, sort order of settings, app folders, support for Bing features outside of US and so on and so on.

I use Spotify, so I don't care about XBOX Music. I don't use NFC for anything. It doesn't have much prevalence in the US. Again, don't care much about the wallet. I thought attachments and a file system had at least roughly been fixed? I can agree that the settings need to be fixed, but that's still a minor annoyance just like the video issue I mentioned. App folders I can agree with, but I also don't really need it as WP doesn't have that many apps I use to begin with. So again, minor annoyance. And I don't really care about problems outside of the US. Sorry about your luck with that.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo