What's still missing in wp 8.1?

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
You can turn them off today, you don't need WP8.1 for this. Turn on battery saving mod and they will disapear when you play.

:smile:

True, but it's a stupid workaround and disables other things too. I shouldn't have to turn that on to watch a video on YouTube without lights glaring in my face.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I use Spotify, so I don't care about XBOX Music. I don't use NFC for anything. It doesn't have much prevalence in the US. Again, don't care much about the wallet. I thought attachments and a file system had at least roughly been fixed? I can agree that the settings need to be fixed, but that's still a minor annoyance just like the video issue I mentioned. App folders I can agree with, but I also don't really need it as WP doesn't have that many apps I use to begin with. So again, minor annoyance. And I don't really care about problems outside of the US. Sorry about your luck with that.

There's plenty more. On a scale of 1 - 10, a dim light that doesn't turn off during video playback is about a 1.5 in importance.

Of course we want everything perfect, but as the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So far it has been what I expected. I am still not impressed with the latest android flagships, except the oppo find 7, and if the new iPhone actually is going to be 4.7" to 5" then maybe.....maybe they will get my attention, but for me, they addressed a majority of my concerns.
Notification center....check!
Volume controls.....check!
Cortona......nice option but check too!
More customization and easier access to simple features seemed have been addressed. I don't want a touchwiz interface that's cluttered with gimmicky apps....but apps need to keep coming! If not the platform will die imo....even thougu third parties apps, are at times better than the originals, examples 6tag, mytube. The general public needs a real solid YouTube app, solid instagram app, and other popular apps that yes many of us could care less about, but when people are in the stores looking for a new phone and see there are solid apps available for WP they wont be so reluctant to jump to WP from say ios or android. Otherwise im happy im with what I have seen so far, and as for the one post, I don't want people seeing my text messages....its private I like the way it is....but I understand where you are coming from on the notification settings.....I also see many peoples concerns being addressed in small updates. This is a huge overall. Plus what keeps me on WP is Nokia, even though they are now merged with MS, they are still amazing! Camera, video quality and their apps alone hands down beat anything on android and ios imo.

patstar5

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have seen no mention of an updated music interface for WP 8.1. For local music collections the current one stinks. That would complete all my needs.

That too! I can't stand using the native music player on my 520, I just just cloudmuzik. You can't create playlist with it and I have a hard time transferring songs from itunes on my Mac. Some reason all the songs were on there 2x or 3x each

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
What about email? For me, the gawd awful email client in WP8 is my overall #1 gripe. On 8.1 can I:
  • Edit an older email before replying/forwarding?
  • Receive an email from one account and reply/forward using a different account?
  • Attach a PDF file?
  • Attach multiple files that aren't in my camera roll?

These were all things I've been able to do on every smartphone I've owned since my Treo 600, which includes run-ins with Windows Mobile, Symbian and webOS. And I miss every one of them every day. As far as I am concerned, the almost unusable email experience on WP is a deal-breaker.

I would be ecstatic to find out these these things are no longer missing!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
As far as I am concerned, the almost unusable email experience on WP is a deal-breaker.

Didn't realize is was unusable till you told me. Hyperbole much? Your list of complaints double lists attachments and your issue with replying and forwarding is a bit niche. Yes there are times I wish to do what you stated but that is the minority of the time. For most people your complaints aren't a major issue. That is not to say I wouldn't appreciate them being added but to call the email program "unusable" is a bit much.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
What about email? For me, the gawd awful email client in WP8 is my overall #1 gripe. On 8.1 can I:
  • Edit an older email before replying/forwarding?
  • Receive an email from one account and reply/forward using a different account?
  • Attach a PDF file?
  • Attach multiple files that aren't in my camera roll?
I can't answer you on number 1 and 2
but on number 3 and 4 it is: "yes you can"

rapperman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've seen no mention of it, but what I've wanted to see since WP7 has been selective backup and restore of sms and mms to either SD, the cloud, or my email account. Don't care for Microsoft's current implementation.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Ability to search SMS by date or text. I keep my texts and have a long history with a couple people. But I have to scroll forever and ever to go way back. Annoying

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The only one of these issues that would really matter to me is print support. The brother app doesn't work on my 928. I am perfectly content with wp8 and can't wait to see how much better 8.1 will be.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's my list:
1) Printing
2) Stream my music efficiently from OneDrive
3) HTTP links opening in Apps (example: Amazon product link opens with Amazon App, not IE) -- Not sure if this one is in 8.1 though, but didn't hear anything about it
4) Make files available offline from OneDrive (download them locally so in case I loose connectivity, I still have them)
5) Better sharing experience (example, right now, I can't share an IE page or article in an app to WhatsApp)
6) My most important feature is a Google Voice replacement. I know that might not be totally related to the OS, but it's an App that I've been waiting for. Maybe Skype eventually?

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if the following feature is actually there in 8.1 as it has not yet been mentioned after the release:
Allowing us to chose what apps can run under the battery saver mode.
Yeah, i'd love to have this feature

EDIT: oops, I missed that screenshot.
Awesome, so we can allow apps to run in battery saver mode.

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For me the big deal killer is lack of 1st-rate Google apps. I'm sorry but nothing MS has is as good or superior to Google Search, Maps, Mail & Youtube. Until they can match or better those, I'm probably sticking to Android.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't answer you on number 1 and 2
but on number 3 and 4 it is: "yes you can"

not doubting you but have you seen it in person either on the emulator or phone ? Asking because I've seen reports mentioning the same for a previous update (Black, i think...even WPCentral had a report stating so (?)) and that feature wasn't there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa