11-03-2014 04:43 AM
100 1234
tools
    Daniel just mentioned on Windows Weekly that Microsoft missed the data toggle switch in the action center. :(
    Do we really need that toggle switch..?? I never felt the requirement of toggling my data connection..! Because i always keep it ON..! LOL..!!
    04-05-2014 11:43 AM
    I'm confused how someone can assume that the entire world works like the USA and that everyone is stupid enough to fall for the carriers' contract scams (admitted that it's impossible to get a good deal with your own phone on any network but TMO).
    I'm a student with the lumia 521. Many students at my school don't have a data plan but a smartphone. So, if most of us go back and forth to school, why get a data plan when you can use the wifi at home and school which is decent enough.
    04-05-2014 11:52 AM
    Do we really need that toggle switch..?? I never felt the requirement of toggling my data connection..! Because i always keep it ON..! LOL..!!
    Same
    04-05-2014 11:57 AM
    For me its quite simple ( i am simple )

Internet is a no go, to expensive here in europe for what you get,
    oke its going to be some cheaper becouse of the roaming in other countries.
    But the carieres are not stupid and shurly wil push there prises up.

I have a prepaid, becouse i dont call mutch and people always call me, so i dont need a plan.
    And i only use Wifi.
    Most places here have a open wifinet and all my friends have internet at home ( as do i ).
    The only place i dont have connection is when i am outside at work or gone fishing.
    Those are also the moments i dont whant to be disturbed, a specialy when i am fishing.
    So no need for data/internet.

So now my expenses.
    Thats aprox 20€ in 6 months............sometime les
    I buy my own phone ( no contract ) and can choose where i can buy my phone from.

What do you pay????
    And do not forget what did you phone cost after you finished your contract?????

So yes i need that toggle.
    It al depents on what kind of user you are.
    04-05-2014 12:02 PM
    I'm confused how someone can assume that the entire world works like the USA and that everyone is stupid enough to fall for the carriers' contract scams (admitted that it's impossible to get a good deal with your own phone on any network but TMO).
    He didn't assume anything. He was just speaking from his own experience. Most carriers here won't sell you a smartphone without a data plan - that's just the way it is. Doesn't necessarily mean he's "stupid". Why do some people have to be so rude? Just because this is the internet doesn't give permission to be a jerk. You'd never talk like that to someone's face in real life because they'd punch you in the nose, so why do it here?
    SSgt Bruskowiz likes this.
    04-05-2014 12:23 PM
    What do you pay????
    And do not forget what did you phone cost after you finished your contract?????
    $160 a month for three family members (about 115€) for 10 GB of shared data. Not sure what difference that makes to the discussion, but whatever.

So yes i need that toggle.
    Why do you need the toggle if you don't have a plan?
    04-05-2014 12:27 PM
    Why do you need the toggle if you don't have a plan?
    For starters because the default setting is on and you must struggle your way in the menus to turn it off.
    And if I need something quick that I can switch it on if needed.
    04-05-2014 12:59 PM
    But what I'm saying is that if you don't have a data plan then you shouldn't have any data coming in or out anyway, so why would it needed to be switched on and off? Why wouldnt it just stay in the "off" position permanently? I guess that's what has me confused.
    04-05-2014 01:05 PM
    But what I'm saying is that if you don't have a data plan then you shouldn't have any data coming in or out anyway, so why would it needed to be switched on and off? Why wouldnt it just stay in the "off" position permanently? I guess that's what has me confused.
    I can use my prepaid for data as well.

A long time ago i had my first smartphone,
    Just left the settings for what they where.
    After a short while i got a message, my account whas running low.
    wt#, the last time i checked i had more than 50 €................................all gone
    I live next to the german border, so payd not only for the data, but for the roaming aswell.
    Ever sinds i always have the data off.
    04-05-2014 01:18 PM
    I can use my prepaid for data as well.

A long time ago i had my first smartphone,
    Just left the settings for what they where.
    After a short while i got a message, my account whas running low.
    wt#, the last time i checked i had more than 50 ................................all gone
    I live next to the german border, so payd not only for the data, but for the roaming aswell.
    Ever sinds i always have the data off.
    OK, well that makes more sense. Your original post made it sound like you didn't have any data at all on your plan.
    04-05-2014 02:16 PM
    OK, well that makes more sense. Your original post made it sound like you didn't have any data at all on your plan.
    Be smarter than your phone and outsmart your carriers.
    04-05-2014 02:29 PM
    Just wanted to do a blanket response to some of what I've been reading.
    A. Up here in Canada, you can easily buy smartphones from carriers on contract without data plans.

B. I bought my Lumia 920 off contract from the Microsoft store and bargained my plan with Rogers down to a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I only get 150 Mb of data. Data is a is so expensive up here, which is why I can't fathom it when I hear some people from the States avoid SMS because it's too expensive (read this on some other thread). Unlimited texting is basically given away here. But I digress, I absolutely need a data toggle because sometime a WiFi zone goes spotty and I watch alot of YouTube videos. If it switches over to data, I get raped with overage charges. I always turn data off of home.
    04-05-2014 02:57 PM
    Just wanted to do a blanket response to some of what I've been reading.
    A. Up here in Canada, you can easily buy smartphones from carriers on contract without data plans.

B. I bought my Lumia 920 off contract from the Microsoft store and bargained my plan with Rogers down to a reasonable price. Unfortunately, I only get 150 Mb of data. Data is a is so expensive up here, which is why I can't fathom it when I hear some people from the States avoid SMS because it's too expensive (read this on some other thread). Unlimited texting is basically given away here. But I digress, I absolutely need a data toggle because sometimes a WiFi zone goes spotty and I watch alot of YouTube videos. If it switches over to data, I get raped with overage charges. I always turn data off of home.
    04-05-2014 02:58 PM
    Oops sorry for the double post. Using the WPcentral app and went to edit...and it quoted me for some reason
    04-05-2014 03:00 PM
    Are you serious? This is embarrassing. The first two switches I would add to action center immediately would be wifi and data. :/

Your battery life must suck.
    04-05-2014 03:45 PM
    Maybe its because no one puts the sim inside when showing us wp8.1. Don't be such a party pooper.
    Blade800 and akks like this.
    04-05-2014 04:04 PM
    I can't understand how unsupportive some people are. I don't need rotation lock toogle, but i understand that someone might like it, and altough i don't use it it's nice to have options.
    Look at it this way: give me a reason why there shouldn't be a data toogle. Have none? Exactly, options are always great, and MS really messed up this one.
    I guess i can hope Nokia will somehow add it
    04-05-2014 04:16 PM
    I can't understand how unsupportive some people are. I don't need rotation lock toogle, but i understand that someone might like it, and altough i don't use it it's nice to have options.
    Look at it this way: give me a reason why there shouldn't be a data toogle. Have none? Exactly, options are always great, and MS really messed up this one.
    I guess i can hope Nokia will somehow add it
    It's an obvious oversight, but for now, my advice is toggle airplane mode and then WiFi on. Agree that they should fix it AND people should be more helpful.
    04-05-2014 04:23 PM
    I think its for the same reason why some carriers wouldnt alowe the datasense in theyre update.
    If you think about it, it doesnt sound strange.
    04-05-2014 05:20 PM
    Do people turn off their data frequently? I know I turn my Bluetooth and sometimes even my WiFi on an off on occasion, but I can't recall ever disabling my data. Can't think of a reason why I would, although I'm sure there must be one if that function is available.
    4G and LTE get the 920 pretty warm, and eat battery badly. When you're in WiFi range 95% of the time, there's no reason to have it on. So, I live with it off at all times. However, there are times I'm out of town for a day or at dinner, and I'll turn it on for a moment, do something (look up something, check e-mail), then I turn it back off.
    Residing likes this.
    04-05-2014 09:23 PM
    4G and LTE get the 920 pretty warm, and eat battery badly. When you're in WiFi range 95% of the time, there's no reason to have it on. So, I live with it off at all times. However, there are times I'm out of town for a day or at dinner, and I'll turn it on for a moment, do something (look up something, check e-mail), then I turn it back off.
    Yup, same for me.

I honestly don't know how they could have excluded this. It's actually quite mindblowing that of all things data toggling was left out.
    04-05-2014 09:33 PM
    not everyone has unlimited plan or plan with gigabytes of data, some ppl (like myself) have like 100mb per month and only use it whenever i'm out of the office(sometimes I don't even turn it on if I don't need it). My battery life is great that way and I don't use up my data whenever I don't need so yes a data toggle is really useful for many ppl
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    04-05-2014 11:38 PM
    It's an obvious oversight, but for now, my advice is toggle airplane mode and then WiFi on. Agree that they should fix it AND people should be more helpful.
    but using airplane mode means that you don't get any calls or txt...
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    04-05-2014 11:57 PM
    i also think that the data toggle is a MUST in this new "let's gave them options and make them choose what they want" motto of MS.

or at least a battery saver toggle, cause i think that works like a data toggle as well, letting your apps connecting to the internet only when you open them.
    04-06-2014 01:04 AM
    I don't really see the need for the toggle, as I keep my Data on all the time, but this is a what fits me... personally.
    Although I would wish to see data sense has profiles, that change with Sim cards. My 920 has a swappable sim card door, well to easily swap simcards, but I have two data plans, which data sense can't make sense out of them.... wish they add data sense profiles.
    04-06-2014 02:35 AM
100 1234