11-03-2014 04:43 AM
100 1234
tools
    You can always go into settings and turn off data, there just isn't a "quick toggle" for it right now. Probably will come in a few months.
    04-06-2014 02:49 AM
    Data use more battery.
    End of the story.
    Yes, but when connected and idle, it uses no more battery than not being connected at all.
    04-06-2014 03:37 AM
    Are you serious? This is embarrassing. The first two switches I would add to action center immediately would be wifi and data. :/

Your battery life must suck.
    Nope..! It lasts for a maximum of 20 hours..!!
    04-06-2014 03:47 AM
    Data toggle would be nice, 2G/3G/4G toggle even nicer, this is one of my biggest disappointments with 8.1. Turning on 2G when not needing internet is a huge battery saver for me.
    farhanmariz likes this.
    04-06-2014 03:57 AM
    Um, yes. You can. Go into the settings for your email account and it's right there. And nearly every app has a setting where you can control and/or turn notifications off.
    you know that background app update every 30 minutes and can not be changed?
    04-06-2014 05:42 AM
    Never quite understood why someone who doesn't have a data plan would get a smartphone. Seems it would limit it's usefulness significantly.
    Its not only for data plan..But keeping it on also consumes a lot of battery..
    04-06-2014 06:26 AM
    There is a feature suggestion page for this on Microsoft's website, your votes are all welcome in their to get our voice heard.

Here

Also, did some of you notice that even those toggles aren't really toggles? Rather shortcuts for the setting menu that belongs to this page (example: the Wifi toggle doesn't turn on or off the Wifi, rather it opens the settings menu for Wifi), why does Microsoft have to ruin everything I don't know!
    04-06-2014 07:12 AM
    There is a feature suggestion page for this on Microsoft's website, your votes are all welcome in their to get our voice heard.

Here

Also, did some of you notice that even those toggles aren't really toggles? Rather shortcuts for the setting menu that belongs to this page (example: the Wifi toggle doesn't turn on or off the Wifi, rather it opens the settings menu for Wifi), why does Microsoft have to ruin everything I don't know!
    Can't believe it!!!! Dumb ms!!
    04-06-2014 08:13 AM
    After I got to know that we are finally getting ACTION CENTRE, I was happy that now I dnt have to depend on the app 'Quick Settings', but seems will need that to toggle data...
    Yes I need to toggle data off. Coz my sleep is very precious to me, dnt like getting buzzed by texts and mails during the most precious 8 hours of my day...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk
    04-06-2014 08:16 AM

Here

Can anyone confirm that toggles only bring you to settings? I refuse to belive that anyone can do something this stupid
    04-06-2014 08:35 AM
    Yes they're actual toggles, not shortcuts for settings. Watch this

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
    04-06-2014 08:53 AM
    Now I'm really glad that in where I'm living, an unlimited plan of mobile network costs only nearly 3.5$/month...
    04-06-2014 09:05 AM
    Data toggle would be nice, 2G/3G/4G toggle even nicer, this is one of my biggest disappointments with 8.1. Turning on 2G when not needing internet is a huge battery saver for me.
    Wait, isnt data toggle the same as "3g toggle?" If no I dont know what you are talking about.

By "data toggle" I imagined the 3G connection (my own paid internet).
    04-06-2014 10:03 AM
    I had wanted to see a data toggle too OP. I urn off data all the time and I use an app that turns off data when the screen is off so there is no background data, and it helps with battery life tremendously because it`s not constantly searching for data. That is one thing I really wanted to see in WP8.1. It might show up later still though.
    04-06-2014 10:45 AM
    Yes they're actual toggles, not shortcuts for settings. Watch this

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
    Can anyone confirm the same for the Wifi toggle? I don't know where I've seen it, but I can swear that when he pressed on the Wifi toggle it opened up the settings for the Wifi!!!
    04-06-2014 11:16 AM
    Deleted
    Sent from my RM-821_im_india_443 using Tapatalk
    04-06-2014 12:10 PM
    Can anyone confirm the same for the Wifi toggle? I don't know where I've seen it, but I can swear that when he pressed on the Wifi toggle it opened up the settings for the Wifi!!!
    Yes, I can confirm that the WiFi button on the action centre is merely a shortcut to the WiFi settings page. Other things like airplane mode, screen rotation lock, and Bluetooth are actual toggles though. Baffles me as to why MS did this. And the lack of mobile data toggle is disappointing.
    linking1990 likes this.
    04-06-2014 12:32 PM
    I have my Wi-Fi enabled or my 3G enabled. Never both at once, since I want to be 100% certain my phone is using the correct data connection.

No big deal if the toggle isn't there since I have shortcut tiles on my start screen anyway, but it's definitely an oversight.
    04-06-2014 01:06 PM
    Do people turn off their data frequently? I know I turn my Bluetooth and sometimes even my WiFi on an off on occasion, but I can't recall ever disabling my data. Can't think of a reason why I would, although I'm sure there must be one if that function is available.
    I never have it on. I very seldom use my data plan and I only have 150MB per month which I never use more than 50MB. Why? Because I can count with the fingers in one hand the amount of times I don't have WiFi available. Everywhere I go I have access to the WiFi network of Fon. Only when I don't have WiFi do I turn on the data.

So yes, data toggles are quite important and used. I can say the absence of a data toggle in the Action centre basically reduced its utility in half to myself.
    04-06-2014 01:08 PM
    I like to turn on 2G instead of 3G when im at a good wifi for a longer period (like home). Huge battery gain. So yes, the toggle is required!! End of discussion. :)
    04-06-2014 01:21 PM
    Can't you just turn on airplane mode then tick wifi on/off as needed if you're concerned about mobile data usage?
    04-06-2014 01:49 PM
    Can't you just turn on airplane mode then tick wifi on/off as needed if you're concerned about mobile data usage?
    Of course not. Airplane mode renders all data connections useless, including regular calls and SMS. It's a last resort if there ever was one.
    04-06-2014 02:10 PM
    Of course not. Airplane mode renders all data connections useless, including regular calls and SMS. It's a last resort if there ever was one.
    Of course you can. You can do it today. It even says you can turn on wifi, Bluetooth, etc separately underneath the airplane mode toggle button.
    04-06-2014 02:19 PM
    Of course you can. You can do it today. It even says you can turn on wifi, Bluetooth, etc separately underneath the airplane mode toggle button.
    No, it says you can turn on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC separately. So still no calls or SMS.
    04-06-2014 02:28 PM
    No, it says you can turn on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC separately. So still no calls or SMS.
    "bleargh" was asking about independent wifi toggling while in airplane mode to save mobile data. To whom you replied with "of course not" and asserted that all data connections are useless. I was pointing out that you are wrong in stating that since wifi is a form of data connection. I didn't say that calls and sms would work.
    04-06-2014 02:33 PM
100 1234