No Data Toggle switch on 8.1

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Do people turn off their data frequently? I know I turn my Bluetooth and sometimes even my WiFi on an off on occasion, but I can't recall ever disabling my data. Can't think of a reason why I would, although I'm sure there must be one if that function is available.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Do people turn off their data frequently? I know I turn my Bluetooth and sometimes even my WiFi on an off on occasion, but I can't recall ever disabling my data. Can't think of a reason why I would, although I'm sure there must be one if that function is available.
We dont have it on enabled all the time and disable it from time to time, we do the opposite (not everyone has a data plan).

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
We dont have it on enabled all the time and disable it from time to time, we do the opposite (not everyone has a data plan).

Never quite understood why someone who doesn't have a data plan would get a smartphone. Seems it would limit it's usefulness significantly.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Consider this scenario where in , your data pack has just exhausted and you dont have enough currency to recharge it so it would be better to disable data awhile till you have sufficient currency tovtop up your data again......
P.S. ON A PREPAID SIM
Besides data without a pack is still very costly in India ...see the point....

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Because keeping the data on consumes a lot of battery.Besides, not everyone has an unlimited data plan.

Seriously MS, you are doing stupid things one after the another.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused how someone gets a smartphone on a plan without data. Most companies don't offer that.

Usually it can only be done if you're using a prepaid service. The major carriers, at least in the US, will generally add a data plan automatically if they detect that you're using a smartphone.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess the toggle is left out due some pressure of the carriers. I believe that i once read something about that.

Btw i use only WiFi, most places have open WiFi and friends and relatives also. So i don't see the need of a data plan.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
For example, you travel outside of USA and want to keep your phone on for emergencies, but do not want your phone contacting servers and downloading stupid data which could cost you thousands. But in all reality you are right, you don't use that switch as often as say WiFi or Bluetooth toggle to have it a must place in a quick settings. One could easily turn it off in 3 steps anyway.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Consider this scenario where in , your data pack has just exhausted and you dont have enough currency to recharge it so it would be better to disable data awhile till you have sufficient currency tovtop up your data again......
P.S. ON A PREPAID SIM
Besides data without a pack is still very costly in India ...see the point....

Data sense already does that automatically. Also, your scenario will only occur once a month, so doesn't need a shortcut on the Action center, which should be for things you do more frequently.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For example, you travel outside of USA and want to keep your phone on for emergencies, but do not want your phone contacting servers and downloading stupid data which could cost you thousands. But in all reality you are right, you don't use that switch as often as say WiFi or Bluetooth toggle to have it a must place in a quick settings. One could easily turn it off in 3 steps anyway.

There's already a setting for that where you can disable data automatically when roaming. However, it should not be up to Microsoft to decide what people need and what they don't.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Data sense already does that automatically. Also, your scenario will only occur once a month, so doesn't need a shortcut on the Action center, which should be for things you do more frequently.

what if I dont have a data pack and want to see WhatsApp and stop using data ...at the same time also dont have enough currency to get a data pack but have enough to just browse a bit and stop....as you said, rare cases but handy none the less.....

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones work great even without a data plan (as mentioned, even with only WiFi which is available almost everywhere, or completely without internet).
And outside of US and some other similar countries things work differently. I buy my phones SIM-Free (so i can use any sim card in it and I dont have to pay anything except the phone). It does cost a little more at first but pays off later, for instance I plan to buy a 1520 for ~450€, so after that I only put in my SIM and I'm ready to go.
Not to mention that I'm on a prepaid SIM because I don't use calls/messages/data(I use data the least because on prepaid it's just too expensive) frequently. So it all pays off for me preety well.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones work great even without a data plan (as mentioned, even with only WiFi which is available almost everywhere, or completely without internet).
And outside of US and some other similar countries things work differently. I buy my phones SIM-Free (so i can use any sim card in it and I dont have to pay anything except the phone). It does cost a little more at first but pays off later, for instance I plan to buy a 1520 for ~450€, so after that I only put in my SIM and I'm ready to go.
Not to mention that I'm on a prepaid SIM because I don't use calls/messages/data(I use data the least because on prepaid it's just too expensive) frequently. So it all pays off for me preety well.

yeah, it is right, i wont use public WiFi due to security problem, they can log where i have go..
some place has no data service, when i back to my mom's home, it has no data, so i use WiFi, it is rarely i use data, and it is a bad choice to choose to buy discount from data provider, and it is 520 :unhappy: , i want 620...
I NEED MAGNETOMETER

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It's still useful as a smartphone when WiFi is available.

Right, and that's exactly what I was saying - it's limited because you can only access some of the features when near a wifi access point, but things like navigation when you're out and about are far less functional.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss