So, officially we can save Apps on SD CARD right?

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
@illidanx or anybody who knows
What about the extra large tile, is it already implemented or did they drop it?
And the transparancysettings of the homescreen, do i have to redesign the tiles in the WMAppManifest.xml?
At this moment i use a full collored tile, but asoon i got the 8.1 build i want it also go transparent.......

Never mind, i just found it out, it collors with the themecollors of wp8x
So yes i have to redesign the tile in order to let it go transparant.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know how much space the new windows phone os 8.1 will take on our phones. The emulator has the o/s weighing in around 4gb. Those of us with 8gb phones will lose HALF of our app space if that's how much the o/s is taking on our phones. Not good for us lower end phones like the Nokia 520s and 521s. I'm thinking this might be why MS decided to allow app installs onto SD cards? Will this also allow us to install games onto the SD cards too?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Which in turn makes this feature completely useless to me. =/ Why don't they make it so app data binds to your Microsoft Account rather than the device, like on Xbox? Would make so much more sense.

Luckily the majority of games I play support cloud saves so I don't lose all my progress when I eventually upgrade my phone, but even so...
So cards can not be swapped from phone to phone.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how much space the new windows phone os 8.1 will take on our phones. The emulator has the o/s weighing in around 4gb. Those of us with 8gb phones will lose HALF of our app space if that's how much the o/s is taking on our phones. Not good for us lower end phones like the Nokia 520s and 521s. I'm thinking this might be why MS decided to allow app installs onto SD cards? Will this also allow us to install games onto the SD cards too?

in the emulator, the fresh OS takes about 4gb too. yes, you will be able to install everything to SD cards.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
@illidanx or anybody who knows
What about the extra large tile, is it already implemented or did they drop it?
And the transparancysettings of the homescreen, do i have to redesign the tiles in the WMAppManifest.xml?
At this moment i use a full collored tile, but asoon i got the 8.1 build i want it also go transparent.......

Never mind, i just found it out, it collors with the themecollors of wp8x
So yes i have to redesign the tile in order to let it go transparant.

The best is to design it transparent but with an option to let user set opaque color for it.

pdelvo

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Its actually not that big. The raw system is 815mb + 50mb Data + 30mb boot manager. The image is stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Micrsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Emulation\Images\flash.vhd. You can mount the image in windows and have a look at the used partitions and the size

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Storing apps on sd card is just osum. Now can we share apps with other wp devices by copying it?
no not possible. If both phones have 8.1 the receiving phone will prompt you to delete the stored app in the SD. Thats what i have read somewhere here in WPC. And i believe if the receiving phone is 8.0, it won't read the app data in the sd.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So now that we can save pretty much everything to an SD card, is there any real benefit to save apps to internal storage versus SD card (as long as the phone supports SD)?

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
So now that we can save pretty much everything to an SD card, is there any real benefit to save apps to internal storage versus SD card (as long as the phone supports SD)?

Since other devices attempt to delete your app data if you try to put the card in another phone, is there any real benefit to saving apps on an SD card versus internal storage? =P

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
No, it's only encrypted in the .xap you download from store. When you install the app, everything is unencrypted. That's why MS did not allow apps to be installed on SD Card in WP8 and that's why MS provides the choice for developers to opt out of this feature.

That's another stupid decision by Microsoft. Android encrypts apps stored on SD card.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have many many apps on the SD and honestly, I have not had ANY issues running any of those apps. They run fine and I don't see any performance hits at all with them. I am very pleased with the way they are doing this. You can move between SD Card and Phone at will. There are apps (like Cortana) that you cannot move to SD. Apps like Music and Video cannot be moved, but there is a setting that allows you to have all the Music and Vids on the SD (there is a separate setting for each type) as shown here: http://i.imgur.com/4bLh4DH.png

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I wish to purchase a NL1320 and I know that in the future, I can move the apps to SD card...

I've read some comments said that it is only applicable to Class10 MicroSD. Is it true?

Because I need to purchase an extra MicroSD along the new fone.

any idea?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss