Red Lumia 920 vs ATIV S vs Lumia 925?

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
So, I might be getting a new phone next month - I say 'might' because I don't use my current phone too much - and I'm trying to decide what I want. Right now, my carrier is T-Mobile since I only pay $30/month. Obviously, since the Lumia 925 supports T-Mobile's network, its a contender. However, besides color availability, I don't really like its smaller 4.5" screen. One of my favorite colors is red, so that's why I'm eyeing the (unlocked) Lumia 920, but I don't really like the design (or, again, the 4.5" screen). Never really have, even though a lot of you praise the design of it. As for the ATIV S, please hold your bias towards Samsung for a moment. I like the design of it, overall. I like the fact that it has the bigger screen out of my three contenders. Ideally, due to my long fingers, a 5.5" device would be perfect for me, and while I've considered the 1520 and 1320 (can't get either for various reasons), 5.7" is too big for my hands at this point, so 6" is too much. Anyway, the only problem with the ATIV S is I'd be giving up LTE for it.

My current device is a Samsung Focus (original), and 3G is plenty fast for me, so 4G (HSPA+) would be fine, but I just like having the newest (whether its technically better or not). Obviously, only phone really meant for T-Mobile is the Lumia 925, but based on my research, the other devices should work as intended. I'd just have worse coverage. I could always move to AT&T through Straight Talk as I previously did, but again, T-Mobile's $30 plan is perfect for me at this point, so I'd rather not.

Reasons for not considering other devices? For most of the devices, its because they have worse specs than the three I'm looking at. For some, its due to the fact I'm buying off-contract (i.e full price). The Lumia 630/635 fall into the "worse specs category. So, what should I do? ATIV S with T-Mobile like I want, and just suffer the HSPA+? Red Lumia 920, and live with the design (not a bad design, just not preferred)? Or Lumia 925, and learn to live with the slight decrease in screen size? Or the Lumia 920/ATIV S, and just switch to AT&T for full coverage and support? Again, hold your bias towards Samsung.

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
In your situation, I'd go with the 925. It's dirt cheap right now and you'll have to connectivity/network issues. If the 920 is a Rogers, it would work perfectly as well (minus Wi-Fi calling and possibly Internet sharing if you do that), but I assume it's an AT&T version.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As a user of the international 1520 on T-Mobile, I can tell you that HSPA+ can be plenty fast (faster than my U-Verse connection). If you feel the Ativ meets most of your needs, then that is likely the best phone for you.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
In your situation, I'd go with the 925. It's dirt cheap right now and you'll have to connectivity/network issues. If the 920 is a Rogers, it would work perfectly as well (minus Wi-Fi calling and possibly Internet sharing if you do that), but I assume it's an AT&T version.

Everything I'm looking at is through eBay (new), and its all around $200 (give or take) so price is irrelevant. The ATIV S and Lumia 920 are unlocked. ATIV S needs to be since it was never released in the US. 920, again, I can always switch to AT&T, but the one I've been looking at is unlocked. Can't say whether it is OEM or carrier unlocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos