Will I recover my warranty after the Windows Phone Preview period?

LucasLumia

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Will I recover my warranty after the Windows Phone Preview period? Because my Lumia 1520 is still on warranty and it's a gorgeus device. I wouldn't like anything to happen to it. But on the other side, I'm dying to try WP 8.1. Is it posible to recover the software version via the Nokia Recovery Tool?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What good is a warranty if you can do things that would void it and THEN go back to a previous non-voided state. Think about it. If you void a warranty, you void it. Period.

As for the Dev preview, as stated above, re-read the thread.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
But in that post says it will. The question is if I will recover it. Thanks.
Read the first post again as he said.
Its clearly stated that just because u jump to Dev preview u won't void ur warranty. You MAY void it in the unlikely event that ur phone get bricked due to Dev preview or is severely bugged but no that wld be EXTREMELY UNLIKELY since Dev preview is not a beta vers its a consumer ready version. But just in case u want to play it safe wait 2-3 days after Dev preview is available before updating and check these forums to see what the early adopters have to say abt it and are there any severe bugs in it.

LucasLumia

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know it probably won't brick it but Nokia's warranty clearly states any change in software voids the warranty. What I wanted to know if there's any registry that would tell support that I download the preview once I download Nokia Cyan.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I just had a chat some few days back, if you have the developer preview, you are still under warranty. No problems.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But in that post says it will. The question is if I will recover it. Thanks.
I wrote that post. That post does not say that it will void your warranty. Also, in at least two other posts in that thread, I stated that I had my 928 replaced under warranty while running the preview for GDR3.

EDIT: I just edited that post, and added to it the fact that I've replaced a phone under warranty while running GDR3 preview.

LucasLumia

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I misunderstood when you said "What it doesn't say is that you will void the warranty.". I thought you meant that it says may but that it would. I spoke with Hong Kong (my phone is unlocked) support last night and they told me it would but I believe he was just covering himself. I am going to try again tomorrow and try to get its validity to my email since I bought it from Expansys and its really hard to get them to take your phone. Also, Im from Argentina so this warranty thing is actually pretty annoying. I WANT CORTANA!

LucasLumia

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia care says it will void the warranty although Im still questioning him. If you can help on twitter support I would appreciate.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nokia care says it will void the warranty although Im still questioning him. If you can help on twitter support I would appreciate.

Like I said, my phone was replaced under warranty while running GDR3. Take a look at the post I linked to, as I updated that section of the post today with greater explanation. I used to work in the warranty business, so I know what I'm talking about. At least in the US. Other countries, maybe not so much.

LucasLumia

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Its unlocked so I dont have to rely in carriers just nOkia but even then its probably going to tak 2 months at least. I talked finally with Hong Kong support. They started saying that I would void my warranty but after stating that since the OS version, the only change since Nokia firmware is unchanged, will be covered by Nokia since its the one in the official update then it covers the phone since it covers the phone firmware and then software too. He stated that if the preview can then update to a formal version of the OS then the warranty will cover it.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Anything official won't void your warranty.
In Hardware Test app it has update log feature which I think is pulled somewhere from system memory. So Nokia/MS have something similar to check for update logs on your device either remotely.

Devoid of warranty is non-sense, IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12