will wp8.1 solve temp files/other storage problem?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I just tried that app, and to be honest it looks like it does nothing more than fill up any renaming space with "dummy files" for me to delete when it's done.

That is exactly what it does. But once there's no more room, the OS starts to dump all those things it doesn't need anymore. Spring Cleaning if you will. Cleaning out the drunk drawer. XAP/update 'unpacks' are what mostly gets removed (I believe). As well as old email attachments, sync/error/use logs. It allows the OS to do a supposed 'chdisk' on itself and remove unneeded data.

The more the temp data storage fills up, the more the OS will try to release. Also the longer you allow your volume you remain at a full(ish) state, the more 'fluff' will get pulled out.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
That is exactly what it does. But once there's no more room, the OS starts to dump all those things it doesn't need anymore. Spring Cleaning if you will. Cleaning out the drunk drawer. XAP/update 'unpacks' are what mostly gets removed (I believe). As well as old email attachments, sync/error/use logs. It allows the OS to do a supposed 'chdisk' on itself and remove unneeded data.

The more the temp data storage fills up, the more the OS will try to release. Also the longer you allow your volume you remain at a full(ish) state, the more 'fluff' will get pulled out.

it has never worked for me
what worked for me is:-
1.go to onedrive website on your PC/Mac
2.login and shift all folders/pics etc into a new folder
3.make new folders of the same names-eg camera roll etc into the original locations
4.change the date of ur phone by a month,reboot
5.clear temp files in storage check or the normal settings thingy
6.reboot and change date back to normal

In my case it cleared 1.5gb and i did this during the amber update , after that all my phones are constant on 1gb of 'other' and 60mb of temporary files
hope this helps u guys
worth a try :)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Simple logic really... If you have an email account and selected one month retention, where do you think the emails are stored? Yes, other storage. Just one example.
this is why I love wpc. I would never have thought of the email account setup impacting other storage, but that makes perfect sense. thanks.

mesamit

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it has been mention before.....I solve my storage issue which was about 1.5 GB in Lumia 620 by changing date and time to 2025 and then went to storage check....you will see there other file size has been decreased....then go to date and time set it back to current date.....you will see your other size has been decreased.....well I brought my other size to 592 MB by that process.....you don't need to hard reset every time

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My "other" storage on my 920 is at 4.6GB.

GDR2 and GDR3 did nothing to improve it. Actually, GDR2 doubled the amount of used space by the "others". What these "others" are I have no idea. And I could live with it if: 1 - the 920 wasn't restricted to only 32GB of internal memory; 2 - Microsoft allowed me to actually SEE what is in that "other" storage.

So yes, the "other" problem is still there and I hope 8.1 brings tools to improve this.
I'm waiting for it to do a back-up of the entire phone so I can finally do a factory reset to bring those 4.6GB down. If it were not for the games whose progress I don't want to miss, I would have done it already.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
So here for all people playing OS wars and ****** games, here you go:
1. "Other" storage taking up 15GB?!? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
2. "Other" storage size with iOS 7 - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Both of these are from the same forum as we are on, ie. the mobile nations forums.
Mine grew from about 200MB to 900MB in a day after I hard reset 2 months earlier but has remained stable since (plus minus 100MB occasionnally). And mind you, I do install a lot of stuff on my phone and remove them. (Just for an idea, I downloaded 13 apps yesterday itself of which only 2 remained on my phone as of now)

BTW, "other" storage primarily contains thumbnails and builds a font cache, app data cache and update/installed apps' unpacked files (AS I WAS TOLD BY A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE IN THE WP DIVISION, my friends dad actually)!
The app cache is managed by each app itself and usually doesn't grow in size. The thumbnails are what presently clutter up the space apart from the app update/install files (similar to the WINSXS problem in Windows OSes, go to C:\Windows\winsxs and see the size of the folder).

Quote me and I'll get you further info. Thanks!

Last edited:

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for it to do a back-up of the entire phone so I can finally do a factory reset to bring those 4.6GB down. If it were not for the games whose progress I don't want to miss, I would have done it already.

I may be wrong here but i believe WP8.1 only allows for game back up for games which have been coded to be backed up in that way. In other words you may need to wait for the games to be updated before you can hard reset which might take a while.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I may be wrong here but i believe WP8.1 only allows for game back up for games which have been coded to be backed up in that way. In other words you may need to wait for the games to be updated before you can hard reset which might take a while.

WP8.1 allows you to back up ALL DATA of your apps to ONEDRIVE only. But it does allow it. Games and apps can still back up app data for their own app if they code it that way in WP8.

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Both of these are from the same forum as we are on, ie. the mobile nations forums.

BTW, "other" storage primarily contains thumbnails and builds a font cache, app data cache and update/installed apps' unpacked files (AS I WAS TOLD BY A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE IN THE WP DIVISION, my friends dad actually)!
The app cache is managed by each app itself and usually doesn't grow in size. The thumbnails are what presently clutter up the space apart from the app update/install files (similar to the WINSXS problem in Windows OSes, go to C:\Windows\winsxs and see the size of the folder).

You see, we are not complaining of "what" is using other storage, it seems nobody understands, i will give you an example, i installed asphalt 8 in my l520, the game itselft took 1.4 gb of space, plus, my other storage goes from 400 mb to 1.3 gb, ok, thats cool, those temps must be from asphalt so is ok, then i got bored, i uninstalled asphalt 8, and truly, i got my 1.4 gb of space that asphalt 8 was using, but other storage was still 1.3 gb, in the end, i had to hard reset to get my space back, THIS IS WHAT WE ARE COMPLAINING: when you delete an app or game, the files of that app that were in other storage DON'T dissapear, hence the more you install and uninstall apps or game, the bigger it gets, and the only way to get the space back is to do hard reset, THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO GET FIXED, and if microsoft can't gives an app that can do that, they should give us access to the other storage, so we can manually delete the cache files, a solution like that would great, imagine that, in other storage, theres a folder per each app, so if i just deleted asphalt 8, i go to other storage's asphalt 8 and manually delete the remaining files; this problem(of apps not completely uninstalling) is something that has existed en windows in general since a long time ago, in the pc's, but nobody in pc complains because: 1 you can install software that do the job for you, or 2 you can manually delete the temp files, so microsoft either gives an decent storage managing app, or they give us access to other storage, because im sick and tire of this crap happening, i have reseted my phone a **** tone of times, and i'm sick of it, yes, this happends on android and iOS too, but android gives you access to the file system, and iOS is jailbreakable, and you want to know what it's even prettier? this problem does not happend if you side load apps, it only happends with oficial windows store apps, which, is a shame on microsoft

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
WP8.1 allows you to back up ALL DATA of your apps to ONEDRIVE only. But it does allow it. Games and apps can still back up app data for their own app if they code it that way in WP8.

Thanks for the clarification. I too have been waiting for the save game data back up but was under the assumption that the game would need to be updated first. This is awesome.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
You see, we are not complaining of "what" is using other storage, it seems nobody understands, i will give you an example, i installed asphalt 8 in my l520, the game itselft took 1.4 gb of space, plus, my other storage goes from 400 mb to 1.3 gb, ok, thats cool, those tems must be from asphalt so is ok, then i got bored, i uninstalled asphalt 8, and truly, i got my 1.4 gb of space that asphalt 8 was using, but other storage was still 1.3 gb, in the end, i had to hard reset to get my space back, THIS IS WHAT WE ARE COMPLAINING: when you delete an app or game, the files that were in other storage DON'T dissapear as well, hence the more you install and uninstall apps or game, the bigger it gets, and the only way to get the space back is to do hard reset, THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO GET FIXED, and if microsoft can't gives an app that can do that, they should give us access to the other storage, so we can manually delete the cache files, a solution like that would great, imagine that, in other storage, theres a folder per each app, so if just deleted asphalt 8, i got to other storage's asphalt 8 and manually delete the remaining files, this problem(of apps not complitely uninstalling) is something that has existed en windows in general since a long time ago, in the pc's, but nobody in pc complains because: 1 you can install software that do the job for you, or 2 you can manually delete the temp files, so microsoft either gives an decent storage managing app, or they give us access to other storage, because im sick and tire of this crap happening, i have reset my phone a **** tone of times, and i'm sick of it, yes, this happends on android and iOS too, but android gives you access to the file system, and iOS is jailbreakable, and you want to know what it's even prettier? this problem does not happend if you side load apps, it only happends with oficial windows store apps, which, is a shame on microsoft

A tip for you, I too faced the very same thing but I just rebooted my phone after the uninstall and it although did not free up all of the space that ashphalt filled, it did free up about 500MB or so, dunno why!
And yeah, file management capabilities are not at par with other systems, I agree, but it keeps your OS safe from yourself. And want to know what, you can code your app to remove all it's generated data. But guess what, when you port an existing app to WP, that cleanup code goes missing and results in this ****. I can tell because I started developing for WP back in November of 2013.

PS: Keep an eye out for my upcoming Music Player sometime near June.

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I just did a test on my 1020. I checked my other storage and it was at 2.6GB. I had a feeling Whatsapp may be a part of that and i was right. Whatsapp saves all the pictures and videos and voice clips you sent to your contacts. I deleted a few videos and sound clips and my Other Storage dropped to 2.3GB.

To view all the media you sent to a contact go to the conversation thread and tap on their name, swipe right and all the media should be in there. This may help some people clear up some space. Whatsapp doesn't allow for multiple file removal so you have to delete one file at a time.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I just did a test on my 1020. I checked my other storage and it was at 2.6GB. I had a feeling Whatsapp may be a part of that and i was right. Whatsapp saves all the pictures and videos and voice clips you sent to your contacts. I deleted a few videos and sound clips and my Other Storage dropped to 2.3GB.

To view all the media you sent to a contact go to the conversation thread and tap on their name, swipe right and all the media should be in there. This may help some people clear up some space. Whatsapp doesn't allow for multiple file removal so you have to delete one file at a time.

Although I did know about this issue but never knew it was counted in "Other" storage. Thanks for letting us know. On the same lines, try deleting some of your messages and emails plus turn off auto-upload as it eats up about 2-3MB for every 10 or 20 pics I upload. :cool:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Mine grew from about 200MB to 900MB in a day after I hard reset 2 months earlier but has remained stable since (plus minus 100MB occasionnally). And mind you, I do install a lot of stuff on my phone and remove them. (Just for an idea, I downloaded 13 apps yesterday itself of which only 2 remained on my phone as of now)

ive already mentiioned this on the first page :p
its k though

Ankit Bachchan

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
It's not a bug.

Some of you guys are really paranoid about space...

My other is at 1.3GB on my 920 and I'm really fine with that. People need to understand what the Other storage is about...

Have a read please.

"Other" phone storage FAQ for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Since we are adamant on blaming the users itself about the Other storage...i found a pretty amazing explaination for it given by some user on other website. Here it goes , have a read everyone :
It is mildly irritating that people try to explain the 'other' folder in terms of maps, texts, emails, app data etc, when it is clearly a fault in the OS. An example is if one uploads photos or videos to the Sky Drive, 'Other' will grow until all memory is used and the phone will become unuseable. It will not even be able to make calls. Several people have reported this, in other forums.

So, anyone claiming that this memory will be "restored", "recycled", or the phone will somehow manage to re-allocate the memory elsewhere, may be describing what was intended (I don't know), but it does not work. 'Other' will grow over time until the phone needs a factory reset; or an OS update is installed, which also resets 'other' to something like a normal level.

In anticipation of people suggesting we delete all emails, some maps, texts, don't upload to SkyDrive, reduce calendar entries, maybe get rid of contacts we don't phone often, don't browse (or at least clear caches and passwords etc), clear searches, clear pretty much everything else that makes life convenient, I would suggest that if that is what is required, to avoid a factory reset every few months, then the WP8 system is pretty much useless. I have read some people with 920s are already seeing nearly 10GB in 'Other'; so there is little hope for 820 users trying to 'survive'; and those poor people with 4GB WP8 phones are in for a nasty shock.

When I got a Lumia 820, I had researched it thoroughly. It suited me better than the 920; primarily because of the ability to install a 64GB card; as I carry videos and music of about 30GB, for when I'm away. I have about 2GB of maps permanently; as I did with my old N95, which I need. I guessed that would leave, with the apps I use, not much short of 3GB (allowing for the 1.9GB operating system); which I assumed would be a permanent 'safety net', for caches, emails, texts etc. 3GB is a hell of a lot of texts, emails, caches, calendar entries and the like. I have over 10 years of emails, contacts, calendar entries and tasks in Outlook (and in archives), on my computers, and they total less than 3GB! To be honest, I also held a secret hope (albeit remote) that there might come an option to install map data to the card, one day; but could still live without it, as I didn't need the phone's memory much, with about 30GB free on my card.

However, the reality is that I have had to limit my map data to 1.2GB, and cannot use autouploads to the SkyDrive (or even back up to the SkyDrive if I wish to clear the camera roll of stuff) or download Deezer albums, because all these bring me nearer to a factory reset. Even then, and clearing caches almost daily, I still see 'Other' continue to grow; and it becomes an obsession I could do without. Deleting caches also deletes various passwords; which I expect the phone to remember, for goodness sake! Moreover, since the OS is relatively new, it is only now that some dedicated individuals are starting to experiment with various settings, trying to discover what has the most detrimental effect on the 'other' folder. My thanks go to them for their efforts, and the 'Factory reset' trauma they have to endure; the main irritation being re-configuring the front screen, together with the time required. That said it does beg the question, "how on earth did this problem not manifest itself to all those that must have been testing this system?". Surely, in testing, one would be uploading vast amounts to SkyDrives and downloading from them? If everyone reporting this issue is, presumably, only using the phones 'normally', and this has become an issue within weeks, the fact this was passed as 'fit for purpose' beggars belief, in my opinion.

So, advice on how someone should have researched better, or how they could conserve memory, is not really the point. Whether they realise it or not, people have a sense of how much memory they require, vaguely; certainly if they are long time computer users. It may be very rough, and not exactly accurate or scientific; but it should be close enough.

No; the truth is that there is something wrong with this operating system, and it needs correcting quickly. In the meantime, and assuming this problem is not easily resolved, a "Clean 'Other'" button would be useful, in "Phone Storage". If new OS updates refresh and reset the 'other' count, then it seems to me that one could arrange that fuction without an actual 'new' update. A "reinstall last update" would even suffice, for now, to achieve the same thing, without the need for a full factory reset.

As a final thought, can anyone here, who is advising on preserving memory as if it is a user problem, please put around 1GB of photos on your phone and upload them all to the SkyDrive, please? Ideally, repeat that until the phone runs out of memory; then get back to me. I would be interested to read the results you experienced; with stats for how your 'other' responded. Does it recover that memory and reallocate it? I would be fascinated to know; because my Lumia 820 doesn't.
It is mildly irritating that people try to explain the 'other' folder in terms of maps, texts, emails, app data etc, when it is clearly a fault in the OS. An example is if one uploads photos or videos to the Sky Drive, 'Other' will grow until all memory is used and the phone will become unuseable. It will not even be able to make calls. Several people have reported this, in other forums.

So, anyone claiming that this memory will be "restored", "recycled", or the phone will somehow manage to re-allocate the memory elsewhere, may be describing what was intended (I don't know), but it does not work. 'Other' will grow over time until the phone needs a factory reset; or an OS update is installed, which also resets 'other' to something like a normal level.

In anticipation of people suggesting we delete all emails, some maps, texts, don't upload to SkyDrive, reduce calendar entries, maybe get rid of contacts we don't phone often, don't browse (or at least clear caches and passwords etc), clear searches, clear pretty much everything else that makes life convenient, I would suggest that if that is what is required, to avoid a factory reset every few months, then the WP8 system is pretty much useless. I have read some people with 920s are already seeing nearly 10GB in 'Other'; so there is little hope for 820 users trying to 'survive'; and those poor people with 4GB WP8 phones are in for a nasty shock.

When I got a Lumia 820, I had researched it thoroughly. It suited me better than the 920; primarily because of the ability to install a 64GB card; as I carry videos and music of about 30GB, for when I'm away. I have about 2GB of maps permanently; as I did with my old N95, which I need. I guessed that would leave, with the apps I use, not much short of 3GB (allowing for the 1.9GB operating system); which I assumed would be a permanent 'safety net', for caches, emails, texts etc. 3GB is a hell of a lot of texts, emails, caches, calendar entries and the like. I have over 10 years of emails, contacts, calendar entries and tasks in Outlook (and in archives), on my computers, and they total less than 3GB! To be honest, I also held a secret hope (albeit remote) that there might come an option to install map data to the card, one day; but could still live without it, as I didn't need the phone's memory much, with about 30GB free on my card.

However, the reality is that I have had to limit my map data to 1.2GB, and cannot use autouploads to the SkyDrive (or even back up to the SkyDrive if I wish to clear the camera roll of stuff) or download Deezer albums, because all these bring me nearer to a factory reset. Even then, and clearing caches almost daily, I still see 'Other' continue to grow; and it becomes an obsession I could do without. Deleting caches also deletes various passwords; which I expect the phone to remember, for goodness sake! Moreover, since the OS is relatively new, it is only now that some dedicated individuals are starting to experiment with various settings, trying to discover what has the most detrimental effect on the 'other' folder. My thanks go to them for their efforts, and the 'Factory reset' trauma they have to endure; the main irritation being re-configuring the front screen, together with the time required. That said it does beg the question, "how on earth did this problem not manifest itself to all those that must have been testing this system?". Surely, in testing, one would be uploading vast amounts to SkyDrives and downloading from them? If everyone reporting this issue is, presumably, only using the phones 'normally', and this has become an issue within weeks, the fact this was passed as 'fit for purpose' beggars belief, in my opinion.

So, advice on how someone should have researched better, or how they could conserve memory, is not really the point. Whether they realise it or not, people have a sense of how much memory they require, vaguely; certainly if they are long time computer users. It may be very rough, and not exactly accurate or scientific; but it should be close enough.

No; the truth is that there is something wrong with this operating system, and it needs correcting quickly. In the meantime, and assuming this problem is not easily resolved, a "Clean 'Other'" button would be useful, in "Phone Storage". If new OS updates refresh and reset the 'other' count, then it seems to me that one could arrange that fuction without an actual 'new' update. A "reinstall last update" would even suffice, for now, to achieve the same thing, without the need for a full factory reset.

As a final thought, can anyone here, who is advising on preserving memory as if it is a user problem, please put around 1GB of photos on your phone and upload them all to the SkyDrive, please? Ideally, repeat that until the phone runs out of memory; then get back to me. I would be interested to read the results you experienced; with stats for how your 'other' responded. Does it recover that memory and reallocate it? I would be fascinated to know; because my Lumia 820 doesn't.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No chance thats why wp8 is not able to garner market share.they have to solve this problem soon or all of the users may have to switch to other ecosystem.by the way I turn off auto upload nd I dont take photos much. But I face this problem because of installing HD games .now I deleted all games but temporary files zoom to 828 MB.others remain at 650 MB.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
my other storage folder is 1gb on all 3 phones and temp files doesnt cross 200mb and is consistent at 60mb at the time of writing
i use unlimted internet and 3G and have 32gb cards in both with automatic skydrive uploads on ,after the black update, the issues have gone for me
did u know every OS has other storage issues including ios and android
i agree that its a nuisance when we cant clear it easily but it doesnt mean that every other os is better or something
wp8.1 has storage sense btw which should rectify this issue
like i said im not justifying the other storage,its a neccessity for smooth functionality and a better clear option should be present

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My dear friend I have been using ios for past 3 years and never once encountered the problem of browsing and uploading pics consuming storage by dumping cache files and it was smooth even running 7.1 . So maybe it exists but its not a widespread complaint like that coz in my 3 years of lurking around ios forums I didnt come across this problem much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99