will wp8.1 solve temp files/other storage problem?

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
my hope is they will fix this finally.i know some doesnt face this trouble anymore. but for me after almost 2 months of usage my temp files in lumia 1520 is increasing at a rapid rate and iam not able to clear it.
the other storage {by nokia storage check} is more than 1 gb and temp files are reaching 500 mb after clearing the internet explorer cache and history.and im finding it impossible to delete it. at this rate in 1 year it will be a big chunk of storage.lucky the phone is 32 gb :straight: .tried the date trick and it messed up my nokia music subscription and didn't do any good too.
so i hope microsoft will finally fix this issue.

ps: i know some temp files are needed for quick loading and all and we cant delete it completely. but 0.5 gb after 2 months usage is messed up and i hope they fix it finally.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 will have Storage Sense. I'm guessing this is a fix for this issue.

Keep in mind however that 'Other files' are exactly that. Files the OS does not recogonise or are associated with apps that use special file types. If you are using such apps that's where the Other Files are coming from. It has nothing to do with the OS itself.

"Other" phone storage FAQ for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

The easiest way to get rid of these files is simply to delete them in the app, for example, video files that are not recognised by the OS. If you don't have any apps like that, the Other files could be associated with Email attachments.

If you removed an app that had these files but didn't delete the files beforehand then they are just going to linger around. Only a hard reset will remove them.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 will have Storage Sense. I'm guessing this is a fix for this issue.

Keep in mind however that 'Other files' are exactly that. Files the OS does not recogonise or are associated with apps that use special file types. If you are using such apps that's where the Other Files are coming from. It has nothing to do with the OS itself.

"Other" phone storage FAQ for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

The easiest way to get rid of these files is simply to delete them in the app, for example, video files that are not recognised by the OS. If you don't have any apps like that, the Other files could be associated with Email attachments.

If you removed an app that had these files but didn't delete the files beforehand then they are just going to linger around. Only a hard reset will remove them.

no insult intended but i have heard that reasons quite a lot here and in many other sites. i browse heavily but after a bit i clear the explorer cache. i dont download much videos and when i do i usually delete it after watching it. and im not a app guy downloading 100s of them.what i have in my phone its the essential ones. and my email is 54.4 mb according to the phone storage.anyways i dont get mails with big attachments.and i dont intend to delete the essential apps i keep in my phone.that kills the purpose of getting the phone really!
what im saying is i have tried all methods apart from deleting the apps {which are basic apps..not heavy games and stuff} and a hard reset.

the thing is its an os fault. u dont get this trouble in ios or android {where u have access to file system and u can clear cache} . i used an ipad before and after 2 hrs of browsing there will not be a 100 mb cache appearing in the storage.or u dont get a 200 mb cache on streaming a video or downloading some stuffs. i hope microsoft fixes it..its been overdue.it can cause real problems with storage space in long run

Ankit Bachchan

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Very true. I had reset my phone(Lumia 720) and installed all the useful apps which were required for basic use. Neither did i download any videos or surfed the internet nor did i download any maps for offline use and when i checked within few hours after reset i had 650 Mb in my Other storage already! Hope windows 8.1 fixes the bug.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
my hope is they will fix this finally.i know some doesnt face this trouble anymore. but for me after almost 2 months of usage my temp files in lumia 1520 is increasing at a rapid rate and iam not able to clear it.
the other storage {by nokia storage check} is more than 1 gb and temp files are reaching 500 mb after clearing the internet explorer cache and history.and im finding it impossible to delete it. at this rate in 1 year it will be a big chunk of storage.lucky the phone is 32 gb :straight: .tried the date trick and it messed up my nokia music subscription and didn't do any good too.
so i hope microsoft will finally fix this issue.

ps: i know some temp files are needed for quick loading and all and we cant delete it completely. but 0.5 gb after 2 months usage is messed up and i hope they fix it finally.

Very true. I had reset my phone(Lumia 720) and installed all the useful apps which were required for basic use. Neither did i download any videos or surfed the internet nor did i download any maps for offline use and when i checked within few hours after reset i had 650 Mb in my Other storage already! Hope windows 8.1 fixes the bug.

It's not a bug.

Some of you guys are really paranoid about space...

My other is at 1.3GB on my 920 and I'm really fine with that. People need to understand what the Other storage is about...

Have a read please.

"Other" phone storage FAQ for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
no insult intended but i have heard that reasons quite a lot here and in many other sites. i browse heavily but after a bit i clear the explorer cache. i dont download much videos and when i do i usually delete it after watching it. and im not a app guy downloading 100s of them.what i have in my phone its the essential ones. and my email is 54.4 mb according to the phone storage.anyways i dont get mails with big attachments.and i dont intend to delete the essential apps i keep in my phone.that kills the purpose of getting the phone really!
what im saying is i have tried all methods apart from deleting the apps {which are basic apps..not heavy games and stuff} and a hard reset.

the thing is its an os fault. u dont get this trouble in ios or android {where u have access to file system and u can clear cache} . i used an ipad before and after 2 hrs of browsing there will not be a 100 mb cache appearing in the storage.or u dont get a 200 mb cache on streaming a video or downloading some stuffs. i hope microsoft fixes it..its been overdue.it can cause real problems with storage space in long run

Exactly here many are blind fanboys who do not accept this fact of others or temporary files which is not a problem in android.actually these issues are mainly affecting phones with low memory by taking upto 2 GB.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It's not a bug.

My other is at 1.3GB on my 920 and I'm really fine with that. People need to understand what the Other storage is about...

Have a read please.

"Other" phone storage FAQ for Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

So you mean to say us paranoid because you are not faced with such problem.you will understand only when you are inflicted with the problem nd hARd reset just for recovering everything.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Simple logic really... If you have an email account and selected one month retention, where do you think the emails are stored? Yes, other storage. Just one example.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's not a bug.

Have a read please.

Ok we all love our phones but no problem in admitting the defects and facing reality.no need to find excuses to make it appear like its not a problem.
Thing is when u browse for an hour or two in an ipad and iPhone u wont get a 150mb cache accunulating in the storage .but in my 1520 it does. Same with other apps.it accumulates as temp files which u cant delete.So if you wont consider it a bug let me put it this way.
I hope microsoft does something to manage the files and cache in a better way instead of dumping it in other storage.it will hit u hard in long run.
1gb plus other storage and 500mb plus temp files after 2months is not a proper way to manage the storage.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly here many are blind fanboys who do not accept this fact of others or temporary files which is not a problem in android.actually these issues are mainly affecting phones with low memory by taking upto 2 GB.

It's not a problem on Android or IOS but android/IOS lags. Maybe the other storage/cahce has to do with the buttery smoothness of WP8? If that's the case, I am very content giving up 1-2gb space on my phone.

Again, read the link to get a better understanding of what the other storage is.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok we all love our phones but no problem in admitting the defects and facing reality.no need to find excuses to make it appear like its not a problem.
Thing is when u browse for an hour or two in an ipad and iPhone u wont get a 150mb cache accunulating in the storage .but in my 1520 it does. Same with other apps.it accumulates as temp files which u cant delete.So if you wont consider it a bug let me put it this way.
I hope microsoft does something to manage the files and cache in a better way instead of dumping it in other storage.it will hit u hard in long run.
1gb plus other storage and 500mb plus temp files after 2months is not a proper way to manage the storage.

It cleans it self. This was one of the features in Update3.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Simple logic really... If you have an email account and selected one month retention, where do you think the emails are stored? Yes, other storage. Just one example.
ok simple logic.such dumping and using up of storage doesnt occur in other OS.thats why people are clamoring for better management of such stuff ok?
We all know why it happens ,what iam saying is there should be a better way of managing storage

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
ok simple logic.such dumping and using up of storage doesnt occur in other OS.thats why people are clamoring for better management of such stuff ok?
We all know why it happens ,what iam saying is there should be a better way of managing storage

Doesn't occur in other OS? You are definitely mistaken. I have Sony Xperia V and iPhone 5 and they're nearly out of storage. I have the same suite of apps, and the apps behave the same way in Windows Phone, except that in Android, it is a mess as the files litter the storage. They're not called 'other storage' on Android and iOS though.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't occur in other OS? You are definitely mistaken. I have Sony Xperia V and iPhone 5 and they're nearly out of storage. I have the same suite of apps, and the apps behave the same way in Windows Phone, except that in Android, it is a mess as the files litter the storage. They're not called 'other storage' on Android and iOS though.
well I have used an ipad2 for years before this phone.i never saw an email going to other storage or a pic going to temp files just coz u uploaded it ti skydrive ,dropbox or a video file accimulating as a temp storage after I deleted it or browser accumulating cache in storage just coz I browsed a lot.
Android?i havent used a phone on daily basis to comment but it has sufficint access to file system to let u recover storage without a hard reset.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

actaully ios and android also have similiar issues
here u go-

https://www.google.com/search?q=and...0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=2&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=ios...0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=2&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Atleast they should allow us to backup our apps to sd card like android so that we can install afterwards instead of downloading each nd every apps by exhausting our data or WiFi limit.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It's not a problem on Android or IOS but android/IOS lags. Maybe the other storage/cahce has to do with the buttery smoothness of WP8? If that's the case, I am very content giving up 1-2gb space on my phone.

Again, read the link to get a better understanding of what the other storage is.

ios doesnt lag only android does
dont exaggerate,i love both wp8 and ios and they are much smoother and faster than android

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It cleans it self. This was one of the features in Update3.

It won't clean up anything it doesn't have a right to do so. Apps are sandboxed, you know that already right? When they create files, emails for example, only that app has access to it. If an app is badly written, then that's the problem...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss