Windows Phone 8.1 Multitasking Improvements!

salmanmansuri

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft make huge improvements regarding Multitasking in Windows Phone 8.1
Here's what they'd shown during Build session:

DME.jpg

Any device with 512 MB RAM running on Windows Phone 8.1 runs like a Lumia 920 (1 GB RAM Device) did on Windows Phone 8.0.

512 MB RAM would have 150 MB reserved for apps, while a device with 2 GB RAM would have 450 MB reserved. Now in 8.1, those strict memory caps are gone. They have been replaced with a system (Dynamic Memory Estimation) that watches how much memory an app is using and adjusts the memory cap. Phones with 512 MB RAM will show ?resuming..? sometimes, but phones with 1 GB RAM will no longer have that annoying loading screen. :)

Developers can enable an app to turn on in the background and load the pushed information before user even sees a toast, so when they tap on the message to open the app, everything will already found loaded No more loading screen...

When updating an app from the Store in 8.1, the phone will only download the data which has changed! So if 2 MB part is updates from an 50 MB app, only 2 MB will be downloaded as an update.

I think this will clear major annoyance, there is quite annoying to see 'loading' screen each time resuming to an app.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a doubt. WP8 used to pause the running of apps except the one the user is currently using (In my belief). So will this update affect that?
Because i think the pausing apps in background will make the foreground app more smooth and stable.

Last edited:

Lakshman Guntu

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
everyone is waiting for more and more features and this is what I am counting on WP 8.1 . I hate to see Resuming screen. low end Android and iOS devices do not have this problem and wonder why WP8 couldnt do this at the time of WP 8.0 release. Fingers crossed to see this in action when developer preview is released :)

Dario Federico

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Android doesn't have the "animation" For resuming, doesn't mean that apps open when you tap them...resuming time is even slower on low end androids and instead of an animation you get a black screen

Last edited:

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
When updating an app from the Store in 8.1, the phone will only download the data which has changed! So if 2 MB part is updates from an 50 MB app, only 2 MB will be downloaded as an update.

This is truely major, that day there was an update for Asphalt 8, and the store re-downloaded the whole game! This is awesome news.

rvoje

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
This is not true. Memory cap is still preserved. The new numbers are 180 MB (512 MB devices), 380 (1GB devices) and 570 MB (2 GB devices).

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I love the fact that when an app is updated, only a fraction of the app needs to be downloaded and not the whole app. That, IMO, is the best feature which MS has implemented for the store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire