Xbox video redesigned, catch: you can't have it yet.

Forc3

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As I clicked and swiped through the WP 8.1 Emulator, I clicked out of curiosity on the Xbox Video App as I hoped to find some changes MS made.
For my surprise they really did some changes! They redesigned the whole App! Making it more inline with its Windows 8.1 Counterpart.
Now there are some good news, bad news and screenshots I want to share with you guys.

First things first *Screenies* :p
xvideocollection.png
xvideomoviestore.png
xvideospotlight.png
xvideotvstore.png

Good News:
- As you can see from the Little Icon next to the "App Installed" Label, Xbox Video is now a Universal App! :)
This means we will now get faster updates, as the Team doesnt need to focus on 2 separate Apps anymore! *yay*
xvideouniversalapp.png
- App is now Version 2.5.1385.0 (WP8 Version is 1.5.1388.0)
xvideoversion2dot5.png
- The App is published in the Store right now (but wait(!) before you open the Store and keep reading)

Bad News:
- You can buy HD Videos on your phone but still can only view them on your Tablet or PC.
Xbox Video for WP only allows you to view SD Content, sadly. I hope this will be changed.
- You'll Need Wp 8.1 to actually download the App. (Universal Apps are exclusive to W(P) 8.1, etc., etc.)

I did not dig through the whole app and there might me some more changes but nothing groundbreaking I suppose.
I like how the app Looks now :)! ist still needs some UI tweaks when browsing in the catalogue though (Headers are still way too big).

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't need or want HD video on my phone. The files take up too much space and SD looks just fine on a tiny 4.5-5.0" screen, so I don't really see it as any big deal. Just my opinion.

Forc3

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It really is not a big deal but for some it might be, it is all about choice. And to be true, SD doesn't look that good on a 6" Full HD Lumia 1520, does it? ;)

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
As I clicked and swiped through the WP 8.1 Emulator, I clicked out of curiosity on the Xbox Video App as I hoped to find some changes MS made.
For my surprise they really did some changes! They redesigned the whole App! Making it more inline with its Windows 8.1 Counterpart.
Now there are some good news, bad news and screenshots I want to share with you guys.

First things first *Screenies* :p
View attachment 61616
View attachment 61617
View attachment 61618
View attachment 61619

Good News:
- As you can see from the Little Icon next to the "App Installed" Label, Xbox Video is now a Universal App! :)
This means we will now get faster updates, as the Team doesnt need to focus on 2 separate Apps anymore! *yay*
View attachment 61620
- App is now Version 2.5.1385.0 (WP8 Version is 1.5.1388.0)
View attachment 61621
- The App is published in the Store right now (but wait(!) before you open the Store and keep reading)

Bad News:
- You can buy HD Videos on your phone but still can only view them on your Tablet or PC.
Xbox Video for WP only allows you to view SD Content, sadly. I hope this will be changed.
- You'll Need Wp 8.1 to actually download the App. (Universal Apps are exclusive to W(P) 8.1, etc., etc.)

I did not dig through the whole app and there might me some more changes but nothing groundbreaking I suppose.
I like how the app Looks now :)! ist still needs some UI tweaks when browsing in the catalogue though (Headers are still way too big).

Does the WP8.1 video app feels faster..??
I mean literally.. WP8 version is very sluggish..!

Forc3

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I cant really tell you as this App runs in an Emulator, and Performance wise the Emulator is kind of sluggish too. But I would say yes, Pages and Content load pretty fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa