Anyone else contemplating updating to 8.1 via Developer Preview?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The build last time was the same build that was released as GDR3, so really there is nothing to worry about it

Yeah, I updated to GDR3 the day after I got my phone on T-Mobile but before it was generally available. I knew others had jumped in with no issues. Expect the same this time.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought about doing it a while back, while still waiting for GDR3. There were a number of reasons I was holding back: didn't know the process, didn't want to lose my warranty, unsure about the available support -- basically, ignorance and fear.

Well, I went ahead and signed up for it now a few days ago because I didn't want to wait for Microsoft's indefinite "this summer" time frame for the awesome 8.1 update. I'm finding I was worried about nothing. The process is super easy, literally took like 5-10 minutes. Not worried about warranty anymore because my phone is almost 1 year old, so there's no manufacturer warranty after that anyway. Not worried about support either because, well, they made the process very easy and opened it to just about anybody that wants to do it, which means that it shouldn't be very risky or dangerous.

Overall, I'm happy to have made the leap and can't wait for the 8.1 update in (hopefully) less than a week!

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't want to brick my phone. :) I figure there's about a 1% chance that happens. I'm sure I'll do it - just curious how others felt about it.
There is the same chance of it happening even if you wait for the carrier version to update. This isn't a beta they are releasing. It is simply called the developer preview because developers can get it in their hands and run on an actual device before the general public does.

This is a Microsoft approved, fully baked release.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
There is literally no reason not to update through the Developer Preview.

Early access to the RTM build, and any official builds you will receive once they are released anyway :excited:

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
here's one reason not to update..we lose the photo hub and the xbox music and video hub that are far superior to what I have seen so far in the music app version. I think I am going to wait and see what the xbox music app looks like when they release the update.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I joined the Developer Preview program in time to get GDR3, and it was a flawless experience. Even without the firmware, (which I got when the official update was pushed out) there was no downside whatsoever. I bought my first WP, the HTC HD7, with WP7.0. Every single update dramatically improved the overall performance of both it and the Samsung Ativ S that I own now. MS has consistently provided a hassle and worry-free update process since day one. And given the fact there is no cost means there is literally no good reason not to sign up and download the app at your earliest convenience.

Don't wait for your carrier to bestow the updates on you any longer!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
here's one reason not to update..we lose the photo hub and the xbox music and video hub that are far superior to what I have seen so far in the music app version. I think I am going to wait and see what the xbox music app looks like when they release the update.

Can you link to the source of this information?

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
eventually you'll want to upgrade to stay current sooner or later. Might as well do it sooner so you can adjust to the changes.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
In the lead up to the announcement I was happy to wait.
After the announcement I started contemplating.
Then with having to wait until to July to get it officially being too far away I signed up.

Now I'm finding I can't even wait till the 14th.

MATRIX RELOADED

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hell, Yes!!!! I did not update right away previously for GDR3 through dev preview but did it anyway in February this year because Black update for L620 took frustratingly long to be released. So NO to painful waiting again this time.. :grin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs