04-15-2014 12:35 PM
2,577 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    In an event like this, i really hate time differences. I stayed up all night just because its already monday 14th here, and if 'check for update' is a physical button i believe it will be broken by now.
    04-13-2014 04:15 PM
    In an event like this, i really hate time differences. I stayed up all night just because its already monday 14th here, and if 'check for update' is a physical button i believe it will be broken by now.
    Wait what?! Where're you at? It's like only edging the 14th here in the UK!
    04-13-2014 04:16 PM
    Hahaha, get some sleep! Likely won't be out for at least 16 hours. Go to bed and rest thy weary head, so you'll have enough energy to enjoy 8.1 when it comes out. :)
    04-13-2014 04:17 PM
    It is still 13-04 here in the Netherlands. It's now 23:20 PM, I think we have to wait until 14-04 19:00 PM (Dutch time)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    DennisvdG likes this.
    04-13-2014 04:21 PM
    It is still 13-04 here in the Netherlands. It's now 23:20 PM, I think we have to wait until 14-04 19:00 PM (Dutch time)

Yeah, unfortunately: it'll be a global rollout, so some will get it later on the 14th than others. That's how time zones work. :/
    04-13-2014 04:22 PM

I know that feel bro!
    Wietse-0803 likes this.
    04-13-2014 04:24 PM
    Hey lads, hopefully not too long a wait now!

I'm in the UK at the moment and I've switched my phone's language+region settings to United States so I can hopefully take advantage of Cortana.
    Anyone else done this?

Edit: Enabling Cortana thread (didn't see this sorry!)
    Last edited by pLUSpISTOL; 04-13-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    04-13-2014 04:24 PM

I'm in the UK at the moment and I've switched my phone's language+region settings to United States so I can hopefully take advantage of Cortana.
    Anyone else done this?
    This is confirmed to work, and can be done at anytime (even after you update).
    pLUSpISTOL and Captains like this.
    04-13-2014 04:28 PM
    Wait what?! Where're you at? It's like only edging the 14th here in the UK!
    Southeast Asia GMT+7 is already 4.28 AM, my friend
    04-13-2014 04:29 PM
    Microsoft will be an EVIL company if it were to postponed the much anticipated date (2moro) to a latter date.

People are just going crazy on twitter
    04-13-2014 04:29 PM

how are you so certain it will release at that time?
    04-13-2014 04:51 PM

Anyone else done this?
    Change your speech language too. Some suggest a region change alone is not enough, and Cortana being US only, its likely that your speech settings (which affect voice commands and TTS currently) needs to be set to US as well.

And warning, WP doesn't adapt to accents. It uses the accent of the selected speech setting. So if you have an accent that is different from American English, it will have trouble recognizing things (though Cortana may be better than TellMe).
    pLUSpISTOL likes this.
    04-13-2014 04:52 PM
    Update 3 Dev. Preview was made available on Monday October 14th, 2013. If Windows Phone 8.1 comes out tomorrow, then it will be released exactly 6 months since the original Developer Preview.
    sweet....
    04-13-2014 04:56 PM
    Change your speech language too. Some suggest a region change alone is not enough, and Cortana being US only, its likely that your speech settings (which affect voice commands and TTS currently) needs to be set to US as well.

And warning, WP doesn't adapt to accents. It uses the accent of the selected speech setting. So if you have an accent that is different from American English, it will have trouble recognizing things (though Cortana may be better than TellMe).
    I just discovered that as you posted.
    I never realised under phone language "English" was separate to "English (United States)".
    Usually it's differentiated as "English (International)" or whichever country.

My accent is certainly not American of any variety lol but it's okay because I'm just wanting to try it out for fun rather than everyday tasks.
    04-13-2014 04:57 PM

Just confirmed it with the emulator. Region MUST be set to United States and language MUST be set to English (United States) for Cortana to work. Anything else, and Cortana will vanish and be replaced with the standard Bing Search we currently know and (perhaps) love.
    pLUSpISTOL and batkingnz like this.
    04-13-2014 05:31 PM
    Just confirmed it with the emulator. Region MUST be set to United States and language MUST be set to English (United States) for Cortana to work. Anything else, and Cortana will vanish and be replaced with the standard Bing Search we currently know and (perhaps) love.
    Until Cortana goes outside the US. :)
    04-13-2014 05:33 PM
    Until Cortana goes outside the US. :)
    2015 if I'm not wrong? I hope I am
    04-13-2014 05:35 PM
    It will begin rolling out to other regions (starting with the UK, then China) in mid to late 2014, and should be available in nearly all regions by early to mid-2015.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    04-13-2014 05:39 PM
    I think so.

Just that Cortana in Halo speaks English, not other languages. And it's good for Microsoft to have one just for now, so when they release it for other languages, it will be good. :)
    04-13-2014 05:39 PM
    I'm desperate to see my custom background with Paralax effect. Well honestly am not so excited about Cortana as much as i am for background and swype keyboard.
    Also i would like to mention that the INDIAN users here who are waiting for Cortana may actually not find it up to the mark as it understands only US accent. We have a different style of pronouncing everything and there it might fail as ASSISTANT app fails...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk
    04-13-2014 05:49 PM
    I should be good when it comes ms need more stuff like action center and time customization yo attract more users. EVERYONE WANTS CUSTOMIZATION, LOOK AT ANDROID! IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE MS.
    PETER
    04-13-2014 05:52 PM
    I just want the scrollable live tiles
    Cage Ata likes this.
    04-13-2014 05:54 PM
    I should be good when it comes ms need more stuff like action center and time customization yo attract more users. EVERYONE WANTS CUSTOMIZATION, LOOK AT ANDROID! IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE MS.
    PETER
    Android isn't necessarily popular due to its customization options. I can guarantee you a large percentage of users don't really have any idea what makes Android so much better from a customization stand point.

One must remember: the world doesn't largely consist of tech geeks like us. The majority don't understand technology to that great a degree, and make very blind buying decisions. Many Android phones can be found dirt cheap, so when people see that, they go, "Oh wow, a smartphone for THAT cheap?! What a great deal!" Without any considerations for how poor the specs are and how dismal of a device it probably is.

Likewise, when people (especially in America, thanks to the reigning 2yr contract system) go for high end devices, they see how things like the Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5 have these latest and greatest specs, and how awesome they are. Do they have any idea what it means? Nope. Are they going to buy it because it /sounds/ better? You can bet your hat they will.

This isn't to say there aren't a lot of people who bought Android because they like to customize every last detail of their phone, I'm sure there are millions out there who bought an Android device just so they could flash it and customize the hell out of it. But nonetheless, we who understand the ins and outs of technology are a minority, and most buy things based on very blind and arbitrary purchasing decisions (which is why sales reps can, in many ways, make or break a platform. I had two friend who were very interested in Windows Phones as their first smartphones, but both were talked into Android because Windows Phone is "too complicated.").
    James8561 likes this.
    04-13-2014 05:59 PM
    Can I leave my location on, if my region and language are US, in order to be able to use Cortana (I'm in England)

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_280 using Tapatalk
    04-13-2014 06:04 PM
    You should probably study lol. WP8.1 will be there for you after your exam I'm sure. And remember, ATP is important, and mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell! ;)
    04-13-2014 06:08 PM
2,577 ... 1516171819 ...