The Waiting Room (WP8.1 Dev Preview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
so how do I confirm I am ready to go for wp81? I cannot click done with the check box checked.... This means I can only un enroll.

That means you're already enrolled. If its checked upon launch and Done is grayed out, it means you've already run through the Preview setup and registered the device. You are ready to go.

You must of already set it up and forgot about it. ;)
Man everybody seems tense. This update has everyone on edge waiting for it.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Swipe keyboard is honestly something I anticipate wishing there was a way to turn it off. I tried swype for Android and it wasn't for me. I hope I'm wrong, but for people like me who prefer to tap I fear it will register imprecise taps as swipes, leading to a new source of typos. Only time will tell with that one...

Word Flow is completely optional. If you don't drag your fingers: you can type as per normal. But if you like dragging your fingers for things like correcting a letter chosen by accident or what have you, then Word Flow can be disabled in the keyboard settings.

However, it's turned on by default so new users won't have to dig around for it, making things easier on them.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I could be wrong but I believe your language may also need to be set to English (US). It's possible Cortana may struggle with your accent, or the differences between American English and UK English that is largely taught in India. Also there exists the possibility of having to put up with SAE units of measure, since the US rejected the metric system (?F for temperature, pounds instead of KG, miles instead of KM, inches instead of millimeters, etc) which could be very confusing...

BUUUUTTTTT.... Joe Belfiore did demo how you can easily get Cortana to convert measurements. I.E:

You: What's the weather in Los Angeles?

Cortana: It is currently 72?F in Los Angeles.

You: Could I get that in Celsius?

Cortana: Sure, it's 22.22?C in Los Angeles.

You: How about Kelvin?

Cortana: Ok. It's 295.37?K in Los Angeles.

So units shouldn't be that big of an issue. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Question... Preview for developers App... After running it the checkbox is already checked with the Done button greyed out. Can it the app be clever enough to know that on my previous device my Microsoft Account is already enrolled????

Well, if Microsoft wanted it to be clever enough: then yes, it would only let you enroll on one device.

However, Microsoft actually /encourages/ users to use the Developer Preview, to get around the fact that some carriers take their sweet time when it comes to rolling out updates, if at all.

As such, despite what Microsoft says: You can easily enable it on multiple devices. No workarounds required.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I see. Well I was unaware of this! Do you think Microsoft will come out and announce it officially today though?

Nah, I think they like keeping us drooling over rumors. Also, if something critically wrong happens at the last second: they won't have to worry about promising to deliver on a certain date, then delaying it.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Does WP8.1 REALLY require Class 6 SD cards?? Because my 8GB Class 4 SD is still new and I'm not gonna be able to replace it anytime soon:(

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Does WP8.1 REALLY require Class 6 SD cards?? Because my 8GB Class 4 SD is still new and I'm not gonna be able to replace it anytime soon:(

no it doesn't !! But it does require ATLEAST class 6 ONLY FOR INSTALLING APPS ON SD CARD. You can keep using your card for music+videos and other stuff, but if you want to install apps on it, then you need to get a class 6.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Oh really ? Is that true ? So that means it does actually continue the conversation and remember what you're talking about. Hadn't seen any demo of this till now (not in any hands on video) and my brother was showing me a video of google now where a person was talking about paris and continuing the conversation. I was really wishing to see something like that in cortana.
p.s. Kelvin is not degree kelvin ;) It is just 295.37 K :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I had once read that traditionally all major MS updates become available at 3 AM PST, which is 3:30 PM IST, or 10 AM GMT. But the windows 8.1 update 1 got released pretty late, so i think that this isn't the case now.

WPBrony

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
So, to break this cycle of asking the same questions over and over again (will it be available, when, how, why, why not, which devices and so on...) let me ask you something new: what are YOU doing currently to kill the time? My floors are freshly washed and waxed, I'm currently shampooing the carpets and next I'll do windows, EVEN THOUGH it's raining but hey, I'll do them again when the rain stops! :p And Monday morning is reserved for a meeting with my supervisor on Unemployment so I'm all set. Since the preview will hit Croatia on Monday evening I still have to find something to clean tomorrow afternoon. :p The stove looks like a pig's *** so that'll do...
as for me, Church today. After church, play Survivalcraft. Go to slp early. Wake up at 10 check for update :3 (I'm in Cali so I get update exactly 10 :p

WPBrony

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I just going to wing it tomorrow and check at 10. I think it be tomorrow cause it will be the 15th in some countries. But if it end up Turs the release day, I'll end up pulling my hair out .-.

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It is about end this week here in India. 1 1/2 hrs more to Apr. 14th. Since US is lagging 11 1/2 hrs from India, I hope we'll get update approximately tomorrow 10 PM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6