The Waiting Room (WP8.1 Dev Preview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arya Satya

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
In an event like this, i really hate time differences. I stayed up all night just because its already monday 14th here, and if 'check for update' is a physical button i believe it will be broken by now.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
In an event like this, i really hate time differences. I stayed up all night just because its already monday 14th here, and if 'check for update' is a physical button i believe it will be broken by now.

Hahaha, get some sleep! Likely won't be out for at least 16 hours. Go to bed and rest thy weary head, so you'll have enough energy to enjoy 8.1 when it comes out. :)

Wietse-0803

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It is still 13-04 here in the Netherlands. It's now 23:20 PM, I think we have to wait until 14-04 19:00 PM (Dutch time)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It is still 13-04 here in the Netherlands. It's now 23:20 PM, I think we have to wait until 14-04 19:00 PM (Dutch time)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Yeah, unfortunately: it'll be a global rollout, so some will get it later on the 14th than others. That's how time zones work. :/

pLUSpISTOL

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey lads, hopefully not too long a wait now!

I'm in the UK at the moment and I've switched my phone's language+region settings to United States so I can hopefully take advantage of Cortana.
Anyone else done this? :excited:

Edit: Enabling Cortana thread (didn't see this sorry!)

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm in the UK at the moment and I've switched my phone's language+region settings to United States so I can hopefully take advantage of Cortana.

This is confirmed to work, and can be done at anytime (even after you update).

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will be an EVIL company if it were to postponed the much anticipated date (2moro) to a latter date.

People are just going crazy on twitter

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Change your speech language too. Some suggest a region change alone is not enough, and Cortana being US only, its likely that your speech settings (which affect voice commands and TTS currently) needs to be set to US as well.

And warning, WP doesn't adapt to accents. It uses the accent of the selected speech setting. So if you have an accent that is different from American English, it will have trouble recognizing things (though Cortana may be better than TellMe).

pLUSpISTOL

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Change your speech language too. Some suggest a region change alone is not enough, and Cortana being US only, its likely that your speech settings (which affect voice commands and TTS currently) needs to be set to US as well.

And warning, WP doesn't adapt to accents. It uses the accent of the selected speech setting. So if you have an accent that is different from American English, it will have trouble recognizing things (though Cortana may be better than TellMe).

I just discovered that as you posted.
I never realised under phone language "English" was separate to "English (United States)".
Usually it's differentiated as "English (International)" or whichever country.

My accent is certainly not American of any variety lol but it's okay because I'm just wanting to try it out for fun rather than everyday tasks.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Just confirmed it with the emulator. Region MUST be set to United States and language MUST be set to English (United States) for Cortana to work. Anything else, and Cortana will vanish and be replaced with the standard Bing Search we currently know and (perhaps) love.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Just confirmed it with the emulator. Region MUST be set to United States and language MUST be set to English (United States) for Cortana to work. Anything else, and Cortana will vanish and be replaced with the standard Bing Search we currently know and (perhaps) love.

Until Cortana goes outside the US. :)

Nitesh Tilwani

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm desperate to see my custom background with Paralax effect. Well honestly am not so excited about Cortana as much as i am for background and swype keyboard.
Also i would like to mention that the INDIAN users here who are waiting for Cortana may actually not find it up to the mark as it understands only US accent. We have a different style of pronouncing everything and there it might fail as ASSISTANT app fails...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo