04-19-2014 08:45 AM
55 123
tools
    Can't do??
    It's sad to see how some people still are so insanely uninformed...
    If you want to do that, go ahead and download the proper app.

wanna suggest an app?
    And yeah! I am done with paying every single avg quality app, so better be free..

It's sad some people don't read properly before they respond.
    04-10-2014 08:37 PM
    It's sad some people don't read properly before they respond.
    I read what you said very carefully and you said "WP can't do this" which is very, very wrong. That's why I responded.

04-11-2014 08:10 AM
    I read what you said very carefully and you said "WP can't do this" which is very, very wrong. That's why I responded.

I do believe he is wanting it cooked into WP 8.1...not to have to use a 3rd party app...if I am not mistaken...

Mac

Sent from my Nokia 1520
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    04-11-2014 08:38 AM
    I do believe he is wanting it cooked into WP 8.1...not to have to use a 3rd party app...if I am not mistaken...

Mac
    Sent from my Nokia 1520
    If everything should be cooked into the system it should be very stiff and nobody should want such an non-adaptable system. That's why MS now is making WP8.1 even more modul-built than before, even opening up for essencial os apps to be uppdated whithout the need of pushing out a hole core update.

This together with an more open API will make everything more flexible.
    For instance, as we talk abuot file managers here, Nokia or MS can add another file manager whenever they want to, if they think that those on the market isn't good enuff.

Remember, IOS and Android also has file managing throu apps.

04-11-2014 09:43 AM
    I don't need a "file manager" but I'll give you an example of what I want. I want to be able to download a wav or mp3 file using IE and put it in the ringtone folder so I can use it as a ringtone.

Current state, it's worse then Android, but better then iOS. With Android it goes to the download folder and I could use a file manager app to move it to the right spot. With iOS my only option is to either buy a ringtone from iTunes, or just download some sound on my PC and sync it with my iPhone using iTunes which is lame.

Current WP8 I need to download it on my PC, but I can just plug my phone into my PC and drag and drop. But I want the ability to download a ringtone and tell it where to put it, or have some API's so we can have an app like Zedge that can download a file and put it in the ringtone directory for me.
    anon(8657436) likes this.
    04-11-2014 09:54 AM
    I am actually wanting a file manager like in win explorer in desktop. maybe they can own this app Silveos Phone | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom) and modified it like a fully featured file manager like in explorer in desktop.
    04-11-2014 10:05 AM
    I don't need a "file manager" but I'll give you an example of what I want. I want to be able to download a wav or mp3 file using IE and put it in the ringtone folder so I can use it as a ringtone.

Current WP8 I need to download it on my PC, but I can just plug my phone into my PC and drag and drop. But I want the ability to download a ringtone and tell it where to put it, or have some API's so we can have an app like Zedge that can download a file and put it in the ringtone directory for me.
    Your totally wrong about WP8.1. In WP8.1 you can do just that.

04-11-2014 11:00 AM
    How am I wrong? I've been talking about current state. Which is WP8. :)

Your totally wrong about WP8.1. In WP8.1 you can do just that.

04-11-2014 02:00 PM
    Basically, a file manager will do, what we already have for the photos folder. Meaning, all applications have access to the Photos folder, they can read and write from that folder, and that folder only, which made some apps from android useless, for example, Instagram can't upload videos, because it doesn't have access to the Videos folder.

imagine this, you downloaded a file from the internet, lets say its a GIF, now GIFs have no place in your WP. So that for start, a place to save things from the internet.
    Then, you happen to love reddit, and want to share that GIF that you downloaded, well, Readit only has access to the Photos folder, how do you get this file?

BTW, windows phone has a file manager, but its not open, that's it. Microsoft can use it, Nokia can use it, and that's it. No one else can, and helped whatsapp out a little bit, I guess.
    04-11-2014 02:12 PM
    How am I wrong? I've been talking about current state. Which is WP8.
    And why are you doing that in the WP8.1 forum??
    If you want to discuss current state go to the WP8 forum.

04-11-2014 02:44 PM
    Basically, a file manager will do, what we already have for the photos folder. Meaning, all applications have access to the Photos folder, they can read and write from that folder, and that folder only, which made some apps from android useless, for example, Instagram can't upload videos, because it doesn't have access to the Videos folder.

imagine this, you downloaded a file from the internet, lets say its a GIF, now GIFs have no place in your WP. So that for start, a place to save things from the internet.
    Then, you happen to love reddit, and want to share that GIF that you downloaded, well, Readit only has access to the Photos folder, how do you get this file?

BTW, windows phone has a file manager, but its not open, that's it. Microsoft can use it, Nokia can use it, and that's it. No one else can, and helped whatsapp out a little bit, I guess.
    Are you also talking about current state WP8 ? If so, swich forum.
    04-11-2014 02:51 PM
    Are you also talking about current state WP8 ? If so, swich forum.
    I don't understand what you are saying.
    04-11-2014 04:32 PM
    I don't understand what you are saying.
    Perhaps I misunderstood you, but you talked about what you can/not can do now and not what you will be able to do with WP8.1

04-11-2014 05:26 PM
    Sorry, but I don't think you actually have done that, or you were probably asleep.

Anyway, if you are regretfull you can watch it again in this video, about 8 minutes in.
    User Data Management in Windows Phone | Build 2014 | Channel 9

The thing with that video is that it only is talking about developer features. So, a developer can attach any file to an email. That still doesn't mean necessarily that the email app has full file-picker support for any file type. I really HOPE that it does, but that's not how it works in the emulator.
    04-11-2014 06:42 PM
    The thing with that video is that it only is talking about developer features. So, a developer can attach any file to an email. That still doesn't mean necessarily that the email app has full file-picker support for any file type. I really HOPE that it does, but that's not how it works in the emulator.
    The emulator you have isn't the final one.
    04-11-2014 07:00 PM

hahaha,But you didn't said how I can do it?

Anyway, I think I am not clear enough.
    Let me give you an example
    right now their are 48 office documents are in my phone. I want them to organize, so that when ever required I don't need to search a particular document through all 48 documents.
    and Yeah! I don't want to spend any further amount on apps anymore, specially when I expecting File Manager soon WP.

So, if you know any app which can do all these things,(Creating Folders, deleting Folders, moving files one folder to another, and can arranging files in date or name etc ) then you are most welcome.
    I'll gladly accept that I am wrong here.

Their is a big list that WP8 can't do and neither any app in WP.
    One is pretty basic - Right now you can't open any sites which opens with pop ups in WP.
    Try it yourself.
    Last edited by Dantekai14; 04-12-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    04-12-2014 12:23 AM
    You don't need a file manager to organize your documents. Just organize them in OneDrive, folders and everything and sync them locally to your phone.

Now they are organized and backed up. Win\Win.
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    04-12-2014 01:38 AM
    You don't need a file manager to organize your documents. Just organize them in OneDrive, folders and everything and sync them locally to your phone.

This was just an example-
    What about pics, videos ?

Anyway, internet is drawback here.
    I can't be on internet every time.

But thanks for suggestion, It will solve problem When I am at home.
    04-12-2014 02:05 AM

That's not a solution for someone who does not have a fast internet connection. I myself have a 2G connection & you can realize how difficult it would actually be to upload & download files using OneDrive.
    04-12-2014 02:57 AM
    Managing files on windows phone is really a headache. But there is a third party app available named 'Pocket File Manager' which almost does all the required tasks. People having problems with arranging albums can solve their problems with this app. The best feature of this app is its integration. U can open almost any files supported by PFM. Though its a paid app but you can try the trial version
    04-12-2014 03:43 AM
    Q: What is it File Manager?
    A: File manager is a app/program that are like windows explorer, android's root thing, it let you to have access to view what is inside your phone (expect hidden and system file like windows)
    Q: why do we need it?
    A: People need it because they want to view what is inside their phone and what is stored inside their phone.
    04-12-2014 09:18 AM
    The emulator you have isn't the final one.
    No evidence to suggest that. I hope so, but we don't know that.
    04-12-2014 12:57 PM
    No evidence to suggest that. I hope so, but we don't know that.
    We know it, there are some parts missing. I don't say you shall trust me but you will see in proper time.
    04-12-2014 03:45 PM
    Q: What is it File Manager?
    A: File manager is a app/program that are like windows explorer, android's root thing, it let you to have access to view what is inside your phone (expect hidden and system file like windows)
    Q: why do we need it?
    A: People need it because they want to view what is inside their phone and what is stored inside their phone.
    People need to manage the files and documents, true, but not all the system tree, I don't need to look in the \Windows folder, for example.

Windows 8.1 will allow to browse more user folders, not only pictures.
    04-12-2014 06:09 PM
    These issues have been dicussed in seval threds already and the answers are always the same:

1) Yes WP8.1 will have file managers, one for the cloud and one for the phone.
    2) If you want it you download it, if you don't want it you don't download.
    3) If you want to see what it does and how the interface looks like, go ahead and download a good file manager app from the store today and have a look at it for yourself.

This hole discussion is beginning to get quite boring now.

well, just one little q, do you know if its possible with these filemanagers to lets say put music files (mp3s and such) in and out the main music folder (i mean the one where music is stored for the main music player)

(so i can download a mp3 from anywherw (legal ofc from skydrive :P) and play it from the music player.. i know this was impossible on wp7.5)

thanks
    04-14-2014 03:52 PM
55 123