File Manager: What is it and why do we need it?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Everyone's talking about a File Manager, but there are few places for people to find out what it is and why we need it. I, for one, don't quite understand what people are asking for. So let's clear up some questions:

-What is a file manager?
-How is it different than the phone search that Cortana will provide?
-What would the interface be like?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's apparently like the notification center in that it's something everyone needs and without it Windows Phone is unusable, or something silly like that.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Another File Magager thread, just let it go dude. This is what's gonna happen:
Some of us want it (including me, for my own reasons, I just want it), some don't. And MS doesn't care about any of that and they'll do what they want.

So, I'd just suggest letting it go, and we'll see what happens.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, a lot if people really want it, but no one ever talks about what a file manager is or does.

By file manager, they mean the same functionality that Windows Explorer provides on a desktop PC. They want full access to the file system, to be able to copy, paste, cut, create folders, delete and all that stuff.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
But I don't 'require' it, as it keeps the OS very safe. I just need a file picker to be able to upload files or to attach them in emails and probably download files from Internet Explorer.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Another File Magager thread, just let it go dude. This is what's gonna happen:
Some of us want it (including me, for my own reasons, I just want it), some don't. And MS doesn't care about any of that and they'll do what they want.

So, I'd just suggest letting it go, and we'll see what happens.

I agree with you only in part. I agree that many people have different desires and opinions, but I disagree with you on whether Microsoft will act. While they do not have a reputation for responding quickly to consumers, they see most requested features and DO take them into their decisions.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
By file manager, they mean the same functionality that Windows Explorer provides on a desktop PC. They want full access to the file system, to be able to copy, paste, cut, create folders, delete and all that stuff.

Thank you! So not only would it provide a device search, but it would allow a higher level of access to files while using apps such as attaching, downloading, and opening files of varying types.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
These issues have been dicussed in seval threds already and the answers are always the same:

1) Yes WP8.1 will have file managers, one for the cloud and one for the phone.
2) If you want it you download it, if you don't want it you don't download.
3) If you want to see what it does and how the interface looks like, go ahead and download a good file manager app from the store today and have a look at it for yourself.

This hole discussion is beginning to get quite boring now.

:eck:

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! So not only would it provide a device search, but it would allow a higher level of access to files while using apps such as attaching, downloading, and opening files of varying types.

Yes. But as far as the demo of WP8.1 at build, they showed we can attach documents to emails now via a file picker (something like the save as and open dialog boxes in Windows). They also said that apps can now ask the user to allow them to access files present anywhere (SD card or phone) on a per file basis (that user can select a file and the app can then use it) to allow for video and photo uploads and downloads from Internet Explorer. But I'm not very detailed about that functionality, but there is something like it.

As for search, it doesn't allow it yet. Only Cortana can do that but I don't know if she can search everything like songs, photos. She is confirmed to be able to search email and text messages though.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I am SO in love with Cortana now!!! Yay! :love: :love: :love:
I would love to know how she searches photos, I mean do I tell her a date range, album name, tagged people, file name???

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes. But as far as the demo of WP8.1 at build, they showed we can attach documents to emails now via a file picker (something like the save as and open dialog boxes in Windows). They also said that apps can now ask the user to allow them to access files present anywhere (SD card or phone) on a per file basis (that user can select a file and the app can then use it) to allow for video and photo uploads and downloads from Internet Explorer. But I'm not very detailed about that functionality, but there is something like it.

As for search, it doesn't allow it yet. Only Cortana can do that but I don't know if she can search everything like songs, photos. She is confirmed to be able to search email and text messages though.

So WP8.1 can attach documents from within the mail app? You won't have to go to another app such as Photos or Word to attach anything?

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I am SO in love with Cortana now!!! Yay! :love: :love: :love:
I would love to know how she searches photos, I mean do I tell her a date range, album name, tagged people, file name???
I have no idea, but I think she will search all the things you named if you just mention "picture" and a name.

:wink:

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I watched the whole keynote and didn't see anything about it. I hope you can show me I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They probably showed it on one of the later days...cuz you know, BUILD is actually a 3 day event and not 1 lol.
The keynote happened on day 1, the other 2...I think there was more developer related stuff going on (so the ins and outs of the new APIs and features and stuff that wasn't announced on day 1) so no one on the consumer side would really bother to listen in lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte