File Manager: What is it and why do we need it?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Given how many people asked for a file manager on UserVoice and the constant barrage of questions and concerns on WPCentral, I'm reasonably sure Microsoft has a workable solution coming in Windows Phone 8.1.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok it's funny people ask why need a file manager?
They have to understand if they don't need it it doesn't mean others don't need it.
Everyone uses it's phone different way and organise it in different way.

Ok I'll give an example why i need file manager
I have tones of pics in my phone including family, friends,, parties pics and lots of others.
Now i feel a need that i want to organise them in sperate folder.
Same applied with documents too.
My finance subject documents in different folder
My computer document in diferent and other in different.
I don't want to see hotch potch everywhere.
Same applied with videos
Tv shows in different folder
Movies in different
Personal in different
And others in different

So,, right now you can't do this in wp.
everything in single place make it difficult to organise the thing the way you want to see it.

I think this is enough to answer your question

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok it's funny people ask why need a file manager?
They have to understand if they don't need it it doesn't mean others don't need it.
Everyone uses it's phone different way and organise it in different way.
So, right now you can't do this in wp.
everything in single place make it difficult to organise the thing the way you want to see it.

I think this is enough to answer your question

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Can't do??
It's sad to see how some people still are so insanely uninformed...
If you want to do that, go ahead and download the proper app.

:asleep:

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Can't do??
It's sad to see how some people still are so insanely uninformed...
If you want to do that, go ahead and download the proper app.

:asleep:

wanna suggest an app?
And yeah! I am done with paying every single avg quality app, so better be free..

It's sad some people don't read properly before they respond.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I read what you said very carefully and you said "WP can't do this" which is very, very wrong. That's why I responded.

:smile:

I do believe he is wanting it cooked into WP 8.1...not to have to use a 3rd party app...if I am not mistaken...

Mac

Sent from my Nokia 1520

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I do believe he is wanting it cooked into WP 8.1...not to have to use a 3rd party app...if I am not mistaken...

Mac
Sent from my Nokia 1520

If everything should be cooked into the system it should be very stiff and nobody should want such an non-adaptable system. That's why MS now is making WP8.1 even more modul-built than before, even opening up for essencial os apps to be uppdated whithout the need of pushing out a hole core update.

This together with an more open API will make everything more flexible.
For instance, as we talk abuot file managers here, Nokia or MS can add another file manager whenever they want to, if they think that those on the market isn't good enuff.

Remember, IOS and Android also has file managing throu apps.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't need a "file manager" but I'll give you an example of what I want. I want to be able to download a wav or mp3 file using IE and put it in the ringtone folder so I can use it as a ringtone.

Current state, it's worse then Android, but better then iOS. With Android it goes to the download folder and I could use a file manager app to move it to the right spot. With iOS my only option is to either buy a ringtone from iTunes, or just download some sound on my PC and sync it with my iPhone using iTunes which is lame.

Current WP8 I need to download it on my PC, but I can just plug my phone into my PC and drag and drop. But I want the ability to download a ringtone and tell it where to put it, or have some API's so we can have an app like Zedge that can download a file and put it in the ringtone directory for me.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't need a "file manager" but I'll give you an example of what I want. I want to be able to download a wav or mp3 file using IE and put it in the ringtone folder so I can use it as a ringtone.

Current WP8 I need to download it on my PC, but I can just plug my phone into my PC and drag and drop. But I want the ability to download a ringtone and tell it where to put it, or have some API's so we can have an app like Zedge that can download a file and put it in the ringtone directory for me.
Your totally wrong about WP8.1. In WP8.1 you can do just that.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Basically, a file manager will do, what we already have for the photos folder. Meaning, all applications have access to the Photos folder, they can read and write from that folder, and that folder only, which made some apps from android useless, for example, Instagram can't upload videos, because it doesn't have access to the Videos folder.

imagine this, you downloaded a file from the internet, lets say its a GIF, now GIFs have no place in your WP. So that for start, a place to save things from the internet.
Then, you happen to love reddit, and want to share that GIF that you downloaded, well, Readit only has access to the Photos folder, how do you get this file?

BTW, windows phone has a file manager, but its not open, that's it. Microsoft can use it, Nokia can use it, and that's it. No one else can, and helped whatsapp out a little bit, I guess.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Basically, a file manager will do, what we already have for the photos folder. Meaning, all applications have access to the Photos folder, they can read and write from that folder, and that folder only, which made some apps from android useless, for example, Instagram can't upload videos, because it doesn't have access to the Videos folder.

imagine this, you downloaded a file from the internet, lets say its a GIF, now GIFs have no place in your WP. So that for start, a place to save things from the internet.
Then, you happen to love reddit, and want to share that GIF that you downloaded, well, Readit only has access to the Photos folder, how do you get this file?

BTW, windows phone has a file manager, but its not open, that's it. Microsoft can use it, Nokia can use it, and that's it. No one else can, and helped whatsapp out a little bit, I guess.
Are you also talking about current state WP8 ? If so, swich forum.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't think you actually have done that, or you were probably asleep. :wink:

Anyway, if you are regretfull you can watch it again in this video, about 8 minutes in.
User Data Management in Windows Phone | Build 2014 | Channel 9

The thing with that video is that it only is talking about developer features. So, a developer can attach any file to an email. That still doesn't mean necessarily that the email app has full file-picker support for any file type. I really HOPE that it does, but that's not how it works in the emulator.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The thing with that video is that it only is talking about developer features. So, a developer can attach any file to an email. That still doesn't mean necessarily that the email app has full file-picker support for any file type. I really HOPE that it does, but that's not how it works in the emulator.
The emulator you have isn't the final one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss