04-19-2014 08:45 AM
55 123
tools
    Everyone's talking about a File Manager, but there are few places for people to find out what it is and why we need it. I, for one, don't quite understand what people are asking for. So let's clear up some questions:

-What is a file manager?
    -How is it different than the phone search that Cortana will provide?
    -What would the interface be like?
    04-08-2014 04:23 PM
    It's apparently like the notification center in that it's something everyone needs and without it Windows Phone is unusable, or something silly like that.
    Dk92, sumton and squire777 like this.
    04-08-2014 04:33 PM
    Yes, a lot if people really want it, but no one ever talks about what a file manager is or does.
    04-08-2014 04:57 PM
    Another File Magager thread, just let it go dude. This is what's gonna happen:
    Some of us want it (including me, for my own reasons, I just want it), some don't. And MS doesn't care about any of that and they'll do what they want.

So, I'd just suggest letting it go, and we'll see what happens.
    04-08-2014 04:59 PM
    Yes, a lot if people really want it, but no one ever talks about what a file manager is or does.
    By file manager, they mean the same functionality that Windows Explorer provides on a desktop PC. They want full access to the file system, to be able to copy, paste, cut, create folders, delete and all that stuff.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-08-2014 05:01 PM
    But I don't 'require' it, as it keeps the OS very safe. I just need a file picker to be able to upload files or to attach them in emails and probably download files from Internet Explorer.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    04-08-2014 05:02 PM
    Another File Magager thread, just let it go dude. This is what's gonna happen:
    Some of us want it (including me, for my own reasons, I just want it), some don't. And MS doesn't care about any of that and they'll do what they want.

So, I'd just suggest letting it go, and we'll see what happens.
    I agree with you only in part. I agree that many people have different desires and opinions, but I disagree with you on whether Microsoft will act. While they do not have a reputation for responding quickly to consumers, they see most requested features and DO take them into their decisions.
    Kevin Rush and anon(8657436) like this.
    04-08-2014 05:18 PM
    By file manager, they mean the same functionality that Windows Explorer provides on a desktop PC. They want full access to the file system, to be able to copy, paste, cut, create folders, delete and all that stuff.
    Thank you! So not only would it provide a device search, but it would allow a higher level of access to files while using apps such as attaching, downloading, and opening files of varying types.
    04-08-2014 05:23 PM
    These issues have been dicussed in seval threds already and the answers are always the same:

1) Yes WP8.1 will have file managers, one for the cloud and one for the phone.
    2) If you want it you download it, if you don't want it you don't download.
    3) If you want to see what it does and how the interface looks like, go ahead and download a good file manager app from the store today and have a look at it for yourself.

This hole discussion is beginning to get quite boring now.

the-wrangler likes this.
    04-08-2014 05:32 PM
    Thank you! So not only would it provide a device search, but it would allow a higher level of access to files while using apps such as attaching, downloading, and opening files of varying types.
    Yes. But as far as the demo of WP8.1 at build, they showed we can attach documents to emails now via a file picker (something like the save as and open dialog boxes in Windows). They also said that apps can now ask the user to allow them to access files present anywhere (SD card or phone) on a per file basis (that user can select a file and the app can then use it) to allow for video and photo uploads and downloads from Internet Explorer. But I'm not very detailed about that functionality, but there is something like it.

As for search, it doesn't allow it yet. Only Cortana can do that but I don't know if she can search everything like songs, photos. She is confirmed to be able to search email and text messages though.
    Kevin Rush and LillWicke like this.
    04-08-2014 05:33 PM
    I don't know if she can search everything like songs, photos. She is confirmed to be able to search email and text messages though.
    Cortana can search songs and photos as well.

anon(8657436) likes this.
    04-08-2014 05:41 PM
    I am SO in love with Cortana now!!! Yay!
    I would love to know how she searches photos, I mean do I tell her a date range, album name, tagged people, file name???
    04-08-2014 05:46 PM
    Yes. But as far as the demo of WP8.1 at build, they showed we can attach documents to emails now via a file picker (something like the save as and open dialog boxes in Windows). They also said that apps can now ask the user to allow them to access files present anywhere (SD card or phone) on a per file basis (that user can select a file and the app can then use it) to allow for video and photo uploads and downloads from Internet Explorer. But I'm not very detailed about that functionality, but there is something like it.

As for search, it doesn't allow it yet. Only Cortana can do that but I don't know if she can search everything like songs, photos. She is confirmed to be able to search email and text messages though.

So WP8.1 can attach documents from within the mail app? You won't have to go to another app such as Photos or Word to attach anything?
    04-08-2014 05:47 PM
    I am SO in love with Cortana now!!! Yay!
    I would love to know how she searches photos, I mean do I tell her a date range, album name, tagged people, file name???
    I have no idea, but I think she will search all the things you named if you just mention "picture" and a name.

04-08-2014 06:22 PM
    So WP8.1 can attach documents from within the mail app? You won't have to go to another app such as Photos or Word to attach anything?
    Yes that's right.
    04-08-2014 06:25 PM
    Yes that's right.
    Anyway you can give me a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-08-2014 06:28 PM
    Anyway you can give me a link?

They showed it on Build.
    04-08-2014 06:36 PM
    They showed it on Build.
    I watched the whole keynote and didn't see anything about it. I hope you can show me I'm wrong.

04-08-2014 06:46 PM
    I watched the whole keynote and didn't see anything about it. I hope you can show me I'm wrong.

They probably showed it on one of the later days...cuz you know, BUILD is actually a 3 day event and not 1 lol.
    The keynote happened on day 1, the other 2...I think there was more developer related stuff going on (so the ins and outs of the new APIs and features and stuff that wasn't announced on day 1) so no one on the consumer side would really bother to listen in lol.
    04-08-2014 09:20 PM
    I know, had the live stream running for all 3.

04-08-2014 09:21 PM
    Given how many people asked for a file manager on UserVoice and the constant barrage of questions and concerns on WPCentral, I'm reasonably sure Microsoft has a workable solution coming in Windows Phone 8.1.
    04-08-2014 09:24 PM

Sorry, but I don't think you actually have done that, or you were probably asleep.

Anyway, if you are regretfull you can watch it again in this video, about 8 minutes in.
    User Data Management in Windows Phone | Build 2014 | Channel 9

04-09-2014 07:20 AM
    Ok it's funny people ask why need a file manager?
    They have to understand if they don't need it it doesn't mean others don't need it.
    Everyone uses it's phone different way and organise it in different way.

Ok I'll give an example why i need file manager
    I have tones of pics in my phone including family, friends,, parties pics and lots of others.
    Now i feel a need that i want to organise them in sperate folder.
    Same applied with documents too.
    My finance subject documents in different folder
    My computer document in diferent and other in different.
    I don't want to see hotch potch everywhere.
    Same applied with videos
    Tv shows in different folder
    Movies in different
    Personal in different
    And others in different

So,, right now you can't do this in wp.
    everything in single place make it difficult to organise the thing the way you want to see it.

I think this is enough to answer your question

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-10-2014 12:05 AM
    Sorry, but I don't think you actually have done that, or you were probably asleep.

Anyway, if you are regretfull you can watch it again in this video, about 8 minutes in.
    User Data Management in Windows Phone | Build 2014 | Channel 9

I really did watch it all. I'm not perfect though.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X
    04-10-2014 02:31 AM
    Ok it's funny people ask why need a file manager?
    They have to understand if they don't need it it doesn't mean others don't need it.
    Everyone uses it's phone different way and organise it in different way.
    So, right now you can't do this in wp.
    everything in single place make it difficult to organise the thing the way you want to see it.

I think this is enough to answer your question

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    Can't do??
    It's sad to see how some people still are so insanely uninformed...
    If you want to do that, go ahead and download the proper app.

04-10-2014 04:14 AM
55 123