W8.1 Update - Fast!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now I have to wait a whole four months for the metro apps integration with the desktop

...because moving your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen - which is only slightly past where you'd be moving it to use the taskbar - is such a huge chore?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
...because moving your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen - which is only slightly past where you'd be moving it to use the taskbar - is such a huge chore?

No, sometimes moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen doesn't work, and when it does work I have to slow down the pace at which I'm working because I have to move the mouse unreasonably slow to get it to work. I move the mouse and click things really quick since I've gotten so used to where everything is in the programs I use, which makes this new taskbar functionality really annoying.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, sometimes moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen doesn't work, and when it does work I have to slow down the pace at which I'm working because I have to move the mouse unreasonably slow to get it to work.

Neither of my Update 1 systems (desktop/laptop) exhibit that behavior. I'll plug a mouse into my RT and check it, but did you consider that might be something specific to your machine? Have you looked at processes and CPU usage and such?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Neither of my Update 1 systems (desktop/laptop) exhibit that behavior. I'll plug a mouse into my RT and check it, but did you consider that might be something specific to your machine? Have you looked at processes and CPU usage and such?

I just realized that I actually never tried this without a mouse. I'll try it with the type cover trackpad the next time I use my Surface Pro.

I'd usually want to find out what's happening with the task manager and all, but this update has frustrated me so much. It's like I've been given some bad combination of the W8.1 OS before update and the W8.1/9 OS coming with threshold (shown at build). To keep the days from feeling long waiting for threshold in October, I'm just trying to ignore the features I don't like. And I was looking so forward to this update in Monday too. :'(

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I just realized that I actually never tried this without a mouse. I'll try it with the type cover trackpad the next time I use my Surface Pro.

I'd usually want to find out what's happening with the task manager and all, but this update has frustrated me so much. It's like I've been given some bad combination of the W8.1 OS before update and the W8.1/9 OS coming with threshold (shown at build). To keep the days from feeling long waiting for threshold in October, I'm just trying to ignore the features I don't like. And I was looking so forward to this update in Monday too. :'(

Trackpad still brings up the taskbar slowly on start screen and metro apps. I think I'm just going to try to avoid this feature and try not to count the days until when I'm guessing the threshold update comes out.

Last edited:

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Not that I want a taskbar on my Start Screen of my Surface Pro, but it's only there when I click the windows button on my desktop taskbar and I switch over. As soon as I move the mouse away it is gone. It doesn't seem to appear at all unless I use a mouse to click on the taskbar windows button. If I hit the windows key or if I tap with my finger on either the taskbar windows button or the windows button at the center bottom of my display I don't see the taskbar.

It seems like a non-feature to me to have a taskbar on the start screen of my tablet, but it's functionality doesn't seem to make much sense either.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I noticed the fastlyness too - it's awesome! I updated my Surface Pro too and I noticed pretty fast battery depletion, are you noticing this?

I have been working with my Surface Pro in the dock all day, so I can't attest to battery life, but there's a simple way to figure it out by running a battery report. Open a command window (hit windows-x and select command prompt from the menu) and enter:

powercfg -batteryreport

A HTML report will be generated and posted in your user folder. This will show you battery drains for the last 3 days, so you can compare before and after update. It will also show you how much of your original battery life remains after a full charge, and how long you could expect to have available on a single charge.

As for "fastness," do you mean boot speed or processing speed? I hadn't noticed any difference really...

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have been working with my Surface Pro in the dock all day, so I can't attest to battery life, but there's a simple way to figure it out by running a battery report. Open a command window (hit windows-x and select command prompt from the menu) and enter:

powercfg -batteryreport

A HTML report will be generated and posted in your user folder. This will show you battery drains for the last 3 days, so you can compare before and after update. It will also show you how much of your original battery life remains after a full charge, and how long you could expect to have available on a single charge.

As for "fastness," do you mean boot speed or processing speed? I hadn't noticed any difference really...

By speed, I mean processing speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb