Quick Question - taskbar

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
How do you keep the taskbar on the start screen. Mine auto hides on the start screen, but stays on top in the desktop. Help please.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have updated my pc to windows 8.1 update 1 (I use mouse and keyboard ) and today I noticed when I open start menu and scroll down mouse towards the taskbar , it appears within start menu(this is something new I discovered today )

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have updated my pc to windows 8.1 update 1 (I use mouse and keyboard ) and today I noticed when I open start menu and scroll down mouse towards the taskbar , it appears within start menu(this is something new I discovered today )

Then it vanishes, at least for me. I want it permanent and thought I read that was indeed a feature.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the taskbar is set to auto-hide when on the start screen. There's probably a registry key fix to keep it up permanently, but only time will tell.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Because W8 has two taskbars, basically. The one activated by left corner and the traditional. They need to be combined, all desktop and metro apps need to appear on it too.

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need a taskbar on the start screen?

Some people like the taskbar and want to use it. Besides, I can see where some people might want to keep an eye on system tray icons on the Start Screen or in a Modern app.

That said, I do not believe there is an option to show the taskbar on a Modern app or the Start Screen all the time, and I believe the Windows Support Twitter guys confirmed that. Once it's disappeared, you can always get it back by dropping the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen, just as it worked with auto-hide in Windows 7.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, thanks. Got to drag, and then keep dragging. Silly you can't make it stay on top.

More silly is the desktop window on the left "app/task bar" that only shows desktop even if you're running more programs, but will show store apps individually.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
More silly is the desktop window on the left "app/task bar" that only shows desktop even if you're running more programs, but will show store apps individually.

It makes sense from a certain point of view; in Windows 8, the Desktop is just another app. Thus it shows up there alongside the Store apps.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It makes sense from a certain point of view; in Windows 8, the Desktop is just another app. Thus it shows up there alongside the Store apps.

MS' made up point of view. Which is pretty much the only thing I've complained about in W8... And no clock on the start screen!!!

But to stay on topic, this little fix would make W8 perfect for me. So far as I can think now.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Lol, well that is how it behaves in relation to Metro as a whole. It was designed that way. Which is fine, but it needs just a little more prominence for desktop users.

Of course touch users need more stuff too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro