NFC and Windows Phone 8.1

titoyees

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello!
Anyone know how NFC will be handling in Windows Phone 8.1?

Now in Windows Phone 8.0 is terrible. You have to authorize any action, making the NFC unusable, because the point is to reduce the time and interaction with the phone to accomplish simple shortcuts.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I mean authorization literally takes one virtual button press. About .06 second wasted. I would hate for my friends to just keep tapping their phone against mine and automatically download stuff and change what I'm doing. NFC implementation is perfect as far as I'm concerned! And I believe it is the exact same in 8.1.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I like that Microsoft enabled a little security in how Windows Phone handles QR codes and NFC. It won't launch anything without displaying what will happen next. I think that is vitally necessary to safely use NFC or QR codes. Otherwise, it could easily take you somewhere that you don't want to be. That is how people get phished out of usernames and passwords.

It would be nice however, if NFC could control the phone a little bit more. I'd love to be able to generate an NFC tag to connect my bluetooth speaker to my phone, for instance. Or an NFC tag that would allow me to change settings on the phone...even if I had to tap the screen to confirm the actions.

titoyees

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I mean authorization literally takes one virtual button press. About .06 second wasted. I would hate for my friends to just keep tapping their phone against mine and automatically download stuff and change what I'm doing. NFC implementation is perfect as far as I'm concerned! And I believe it is the exact same in 8.1.

on Android, Just tap+send. And you just have to authorize one time.
For example: if you hab a Bluetooth Speaker with NFC, when you tap with your phone, you authorize the first time. After that, you just tap and it will connect, without user intervention. Thats what im talking about.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm eager to hear back on this, too - as restrictive as NFC was previously, I never even bothered to buy NFC tags, so I have none around to play with.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
It says in the NFC settings, "You must have a payment SIM for this to work." - any idea how we find out if we have a payment SIM?

As far as I know, a payment SIM is just a SIM with contacts. If your phone has NFC built in, this isn't required.

Don't quote me on this though - I think that's how it works and interacts.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That would be incorrect. A payment SIM contains a secure element.

Unless you've specifically asked for one from your carrier, chances are you don't have one. That being said, you also now in WP 8.1 need a corresponding app to interface with all that.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Unless you've specifically asked for one from your carrier, chances are you don't have one. That being said, you also now in WP 8.1 need a corresponding app to interface with all that.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. Hadn't really been too aware of a dedicated Payment-enabled SIM!

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

So it won't just recognize the cards in your Wallet? More barriers to use. Ugh. The setting doesn't even mention requiring any apps, just a payment SIM.

JLP

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if NFC should work between a Windows Phone with 8.1 and one with 8.0?? I have a phone from my employer (Lumia 925) running 8.0 with Lumia Black update, and my personal HTC 8X running 8.1 preview. Since it has the better camera, I snapped a pic on the Lumia 925, and said what the heck, let's try to NFC it over to my 8X. Well when I share the pic through "tap + send" and then touch the phone together...nothing happens!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

slavrenz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I went in to my AT&T store a few months ago and asked for a secure SIM card. They gave it to me, but the guy also said that since then (~February 2014), they have been putting secure SIM cards in all new phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers