What does wp8 have the android/ios don't ?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Simple as that, what does windows phone 8 have that android/ios do not ?

(This was brought up in another thread but this is a better place for it)

Keep in mind this is referring to wp8, not the currently unavailable 8.1.... When it is released I'll start a similar thread specifically for it. First person to say "omg 41mp!" Wins the 'that's not software' prize.

OK, go

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Obviously the live tiles, or display a live feed direct on your home screen (so no not HTC blinkfeed).

Full Office (for free) on all WP phones.

On Nokia's/future all WP's, free HERE navigation with offline maps

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't particularly care, personally. I've not really had any need to look at the features of Apple or Android since picking up Windows Phone 7

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
After using Android and iOS for the first time extensively... Not much, at least nothing I could point out. Widgets can do more than tiles, Office is now available for most platforms or will be soon (yes, I have a 365 subscription so I have full functionality). Here Maps is something I guess, even though the map quality isn't great in my country.

But I guess WP is still unique and feels good. I started to miss it and looking forward to give back the Android as soon I have my 8X back.

Who cares about wp8 anymore??? Next week we have the preview, so basically we have wp8.1!

8.1 still doesn't offer more than the other platforms. It might have caught up, but it didn't overtake.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't particularly care, personally. I've not really had any need to look at the features of Apple or Android since picking up Windows Phone 7

Agreed but I started with Windows Mobile back on a Compaq iPaq. Now my kids are a different story. They have had both Apple and Android and had nothing but problems. The iPhones had problems with short battery life and were fragile compared to my Lumia 920. The Androids would just start acting weird and slow down. Now they all have Windows 8 phones. My wife, my daughter and I have the Lumia 920 and my son has the 520 and we have no problems with them at all. Being the only techie person in the house, it's nice to not have to worry too much about having to fix/restore/reset or otherwise dink around with everyone's phones trying to keep them working.

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
How about its fully customizable. No one will have the same start screen as you anywhere in the world... Unlike the cluttered screens of Android or iPhone. Good apps that the others don't have like HERE Maps and Drive. Nokia Mix Radio is just brilliant music player! It's just great for people who want their phone to be personal and use it for more than texts and calls.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
8.1 still doesn't offer more than the other platforms. It might have caught up, but it didn't overtake.

In one area: different approach to interfacing. I find that the interface of Windows Phone offers more clarity and less illogical elements. For example, in Android, most apps/ menus have an on-screen back button, while there's also a back button from Android (on-screen, or soft buttons). Why would you soil your screen with unnecessary elements? I know the back button has a different function in Android than in Windows Phone, but still, it takes up screen space. Moreover, whose thumb is able to go all the way up anyway? I'd say that Windows Phone is made for the thumb.

Moreover, app wise, the Google music player in Android is just awful. One word, awful. It takes too many slides, and taps to get to your music. I find the whole thing disordered.
And for iOS... you need iTunes. Even though this is not insurmountable, I am happy WP does not have a weird sync program anymore and you can use your phone as USB. Yet, I did not dislike Zune - it was a smooth, fast and beautifully made program. But I just prefer to use Windows Explorer, much faster: just copy-paste.

lovingfriendstar

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree. It's much more personalized. Even if two people have installed exact same app and same tile configuration, and as in case of 8.1, exact same start background, you can instantly tell which one is whose because the tiles are personalized to the user. That is, nobody will ever have the same phone as you do.

Besides from that, I like it's cleaner UI over other platforms, the tight integration of Microsoft ecosystem (as well as being compatible with GMail, Google Calendar of course), switch on once use forever like performance and future-proofness. And the fact that every feature in core OS (not manufacturer specific ones) are available to all devices from low end to high end... Something that iOS and Android don't have.

Feature wise, there isn't a lot difference between the other 2 but the longer you use WP and the more willing you want to learn its unique tips and tricks instead of using its basic features for a day and complain, the more you will love WP.

It's really a platform that everyone should give it a try. Sadly, not many people actually try to use this and just blindly bash WP without knowing anything, including most of my techie friends. :(

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I don't really get the personalization argument. You can clearly do more than on iOS, that's true. On the other hand I was quite amazed by the possibilities Android offers to personalize the homescreen. You can have a mix between short-cuts and widgets, you can switch between homescreens and personalize everything to your taste. And almost everything offers a widget, they are usually also customizable.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
In one area: different approach to interfacing. I find that the interface of Windows Phone offers more clarity and less illogical elements. For example, in Android, most apps/ menus have an on-screen back button, while there's also a back button from Android (on-screen, or soft buttons). Why would you soil your screen with unnecessary elements? I know the back button has a different function in Android than in Windows Phone, but still, it takes up screen space. Moreover, whose thumb is able to go all the way up anyway? I'd say that Windows Phone is made for the thumb.

Moreover, app wise, the Google music player in Android is just awful. One word, awful. It takes too many slides, and taps to get to your music. I find the whole thing disordered.
And for iOS... you need iTunes. Even though this is not insurmountable, I am happy WP does not have a weird sync program anymore and you can use your phone as USB. Yet, I did not dislike Zune - it was a smooth, fast and beautifully made program. But I just prefer to use Windows Explorer, much faster: just copy-paste.

I actually Google Music app, but that is a more personal taste.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Better integration with Microsoft services and a Xbox Video app and a different UI.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I actually Google Music app, but that is a more personal taste.

Possibly. Though I find it very annoying that if you want to go to all your music, you need to slide the menu from the left, and then you can click on it. Plus, I find it annoying, that when you resume the music app, you end up at the section where you were last. WP resets itself back to the beginning - and the Xbox Music app brings you back to the beginning when you play a song. So the overview of all the music is just one click away. Much simpler.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Possibly. Though I find it very annoying that if you want to go to all your music, you need to slide the menu from the left, and then you can click on it. Plus, I find it annoying, that when you resume the music app, you end up at the section where you were last. WP resets itself back to the beginning - and the Xbox Music app brings you back to the beginning when you play a song. So the overview of all the music is just one click away. Much simpler.

I always thought that was handy. Instead of resetting the app if you were playing a playlist you are back in that section. All apps (with the Google all guidelines) have the sliding menu from the side. Its part of the android app UI.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Better integration with Microsoft services and a Xbox Video app and a different UI.

OneDrive integration on Android and iOS is great. And after you have installed it and open the app for the first time, it asks if you want to save your pictures on it automatically and offers you 3 extra GB for it. I was never asked if I want 3 extra GB for saving my WP pictures on OneDrive.

Exchange integration on iOS is great, for example it supports my multiple calendars perfectly. As far as I've read Android 4.4 caught up in this regard.

I don't know about the music services. I use Spotify, and that the WP Spotify app is crap, that's just a fact. We really don't have to discuss this.

kathdrib

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
i don't know ios, but I had android, and my family uses android. I think wp8 is better for having:
- a cleaner UI over other platforms. It has more style
- the way of searching apps and contacts (that thing of touching the letter)
- Nokia apps are great
- that we can close the opened apps almost as in WebOS (I miss sending them upwards, but the "x" is enough).
- the features of bing
- real Office

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
- Integration of Facebook and People
- Integration of Groups/Rooms (Used to share photos, notes,calendar events)
- Clean UI
- Smooth operating flow
- Different color theme for mood
- Xbox

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers