What does wp8 have the android/ios don't ?

GerOrBa

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Kid's Corner... my major beef with iOS is that it is not multi-user, and although neither is WP8, with kid's corner as a second user (limited guest user) at least my kid can borrow it without me worrying that she's gonna mess up the phone (unless she drops it on the tile floor =P). So I like this feature a lot, and also allows me to have a second lock screen picture for it.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
For me its simple. Its just the UI. That's about it. I love the UI. To me it is much easier to navigate and find what I am looking for than it is on iOS and Android. No dinky little icons, but tiles that are incredibly easy to spot. I can navigate my phone while driving without looking at the phone because I have memorized my homescreen. You cant do that on Android or iOS. Its impossible unless you only have 4 apps on your home screen. When I need to find a less common app, I just switch to list view and use the alphabetical search to jump to it. Any time I ask someone who has an iPhone or something running Android to open an app, unless it is something that they commonly use, they have to look for it. Lots of squinting at the little icons.

If I pin a radio station to my start screen, I can find it in less than 2 seconds.

The tiles being live doesn't do much for me. Its a neat effect but rarely comes in handy.

I also feel like TellMe works better for what it is meant for than Siri or Google Now. It rarely has trouble converting my speech to the correct text. It can open apps, send texts, called people, and search for things. As long as it works well, I am happy. I hope that isn't all ruined by Cortana.

Otherwise I don't think there is much that it has that others don't. Most of the opinions you get here will be pretty biased toward AP, as well they should be. This is a WP site, after all.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
It's an actual operating system that shares its core with desktop and tablet versions, meaning the possibilities for the future are endless. iOS and Android will never change much from what they are now unless they are completely re-written from scratch using an improved base. The only changes you'll see are cosmetic in those OS'. Take iOS 7 for example, the most functional change must be the quick settings menu that can be dragged up :|

I personally find WP easier to use than iOS. Android comes close to WP, but puts me off because of its poor performance and the requirement for desktop-power hardware, whereas WP can run smoothly on lower-end hardware, and lol, 512 mb of RAM. Good luck with that on Android and iOS...

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried onenote though, omg, what a pain that is to use on iOS...

OneDrive integration on Android and iOS is great. And after you have installed it and open the app for the first time, it asks if you want to save your pictures on it automatically and offers you 3 extra GB for it. I was never asked if I want 3 extra GB for saving my WP pictures on OneDrive.

Exchange integration on iOS is great, for example it supports my multiple calendars perfectly. As far as I've read Android 4.4 caught up in this regard.

I don't know about the music services. I use Spotify, and that the WP Spotify app is crap, that's just a fact. We really don't have to discuss this.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It's an actual operating system that shares its core with desktop and tablet versions, meaning the possibilities for the future are endless. iOS and Android will never change much from what they are now unless they are completely re-written from scratch using an improved base. The only changes you'll see are cosmetic in those OS'. Take iOS 7 for example, the most functional change must be the quick settings menu that can be dragged up :|

I personally find WP easier to use than iOS. Android comes close to WP, but puts me off because of its poor performance and the requirement for desktop-power hardware, whereas WP can run smoothly on lower-end hardware, and lol, 512 mb of RAM. Good luck with that on Android and iOS...

I don't know much about this stuff, but to me this description seems very close to what Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 are to each other:

iOS shares with OS X some frameworks such as Core Foundation and Foundation; however, its UI toolkit is Cocoa Touch rather than OS X's Cocoa, so that it provides the UIKit framework rather than the AppKit framework. It is therefore not compatible with OS X for applications. Also while iOS also shares the Darwin foundation with OS X, Unix-like shell access is not available for users and restricted for apps, making iOS not fully Unix-compatible either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
OneDrive integration on Android and iOS is great. And after you have installed it and open the app for the first time, it asks if you want to save your pictures on it automatically and offers you 3 extra GB for it. I was never asked if I want 3 extra GB for saving my WP pictures on OneDrive.

Exchange integration on iOS is great, for example it supports my multiple calendars perfectly. As far as I've read Android 4.4 caught up in this regard.

I don't know about the music services. I use Spotify, and that the WP Spotify app is crap, that's just a fact. We really don't have to discuss this.

OneDrive is good. I actually have 25GB on OneDrive but, I never use it.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed in many threads since WP8 launched in 2012. So I would ask what does this thread have that the others don't? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed in many threads since WP8 launched in 2012. So I would ask what does this thread have that the others don't? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

You are right, nothing.

Before you close it, I'd like to emphasize again: I'm very happy with Windows Phone, and even though I might be very critical here, I'll most likely stay with it. It has just a special feel that is unique, and I love the design.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

If a similar thread isn't stickied somewhere, you might want to sticky it instead of deleting it. It is a common discussion topic and most people don't look that hard to find existing topics.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you look in the sticky threads at the top of this forum, you'll see two particular ones that should cover both pros and cons.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
What it offers to me that android doesn't is fluid, lag-less, always up to date software, great integration with cloud storage (I really like onedrive integration in WP8 and W8.1, much more than dropbox or google drive (which I never liked)), and offline navigation out of the box (with voice).
I find the UX less cluttered (except settings, they need to organize that a bit), there's only what you need on the screen and nothing more (when it comes to OS and stock apps at least) though lots of 3rd party apps follow this model, which brings me to the next point, nice consistency in user experience. There's pivot, panorama and ... menu, I instantly know how to use a new app. Android was full of iOS ports or just strange looking apps.
I prefer live tiles to widgets, because of consistency. On android some widgets still followed the 2.3 design, some were up to date with ICS (and later) design, and some used something completely different. On WP you either get a nice text on the color of your theme, or on a nice picture or enlarged icon. I like tiles. The only two I would maybe miss are quick toggles (tough I rarely switch anything off, I'd only need it for toggling vibrate and internet sharing (which wasn't available on android anyway)) and a music player controls, but WP solved this in a much neater way.
There are all my personal thoughts and reasons why I'll stick to WP for a while. It still has it's perks (stuff on clipboard disappears after a while, random reboots, excessive heating), but overall I like it.

I also really like the way apps are organized in the 'app drawer+', I find the grid annoying and labels under icons too small. I find an app way quicker on WP then on android.

source: Lumia 925 and Nexus 7 (2012) (and my previous galaxy spica and xperia arc s)

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Killer feature for me, is the ability to have texts read, and answered, without ever touching the phone. This went back to at least WP7.5 too!
It's especially useful in the car, as I have it set to do this only when on wired/bluetooth only. I'll get a text, I can have it read or ignore it. I can then answer (it reads back what it thought I said, and I can then try again or send it). I have not found a useable solution to this on Android (some apps come close, but the transcription isn't so good) or IOS.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Killer feature for me, is the ability to have texts read, and answered, without ever touching the phone. This went back to at least WP7.5 too!
It's especially useful in the car, as I have it set to do this only when on wired/bluetooth only. I'll get a text, I can have it read or ignore it. I can then answer (it reads back what it thought I said, and I can then try again or send it). I have not found a useable solution to this on Android (some apps come close, but the transcription isn't so good) or IOS.

Moto X has this.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

I quit using car mode SMS after a few buddies exploited its handiness at inappropriate times... Then it was embarrassing, looking back, hilarious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon