Do you suggest me to update my 8.1

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I was excited to update my PC, but after reading some comments from a WPC news , I start thinking to pass this update.
So what you think?

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I strongly recommend.

The system is way snapier (faster) than before. Modern apps (metro design) can be pinned to taskbar, and by the default, all open modern apps are showed there (I turn it off). Clicking on any open app or changing apps is so fast I couldn't believe at first.

Mouse and keyboard PC's will boot straight to the desktop. GREAT improvement

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I strongly recommend.

The system is way snapier (faster) than before. Modern apps (metro design) can be pinned to taskbar, and by the default, all open modern apps are showed there (I turn it off). Clicking on any open app or changing apps is so fast I couldn't believe at first.

Mouse and keyboard PC's will boot straight to the desktop. GREAT improvement

Why does anyone still use the taskbar?

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
And exactly what is it that you hate? As a fellow mouse and keyboard user, at least on my desktop, I see nothing but value added with this update.

Mouse user also, but this update is bad attempt to appease people who can't accept change. Can't learn anything new. How long before they bring back the useless start menu?

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used the taskbar in years. Putting it on the start screen is just dumb.

How so? Giving people the option to easily laucnch a desktop program from the start screen without taking up space to pin an icon is dumb? Sorry, I fail to see the dumbness in that. There are plenty of programs that I use that I'd prefer not to have pinned to my start screen taking up space. You're more than welcome to not take advantage of that, but that hardly makes it dumb. Also, it makes it easy to switch between apps for a mouse/keyboard user who understands that interface better.

You do realize that this feature is easily turned off for those, such as yourself, who prefer not to use iI? Hardly dumb to have options eh?

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Mouse user also, but this update is bad attempt to appease people who can't accept change. Can't learn anything new. How long before they bring back the useless start menu?

I disagree completely. It's an attempt to give more options that suit more people's tastes. I'd hardly say the start menu was useless. There's a reason it was used for so long.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
We use to ride around on horses, want to bring that back too?

So, you have no legitimate response than? That's all you had to say.

We also drive cars using a steering wheel, but I'd venture a guess, that if we changed to joysticks tomorrow, many traffic accidents would occur. You see, sometimes change has to be accomplished in smaller steps.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
As a mouse and keyboard user I hate this stupid update.
I don't get it. If you don't want to use the X to close the modern apps, you can still click at the top and drag down just like before. The charms bar still there and you can still shutdown from anywhere again, just like before.

sban85

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
quite simple really, if you dont upgrade, you wont be getting future updates from MSFT. and this does nothing to change the way you already interact with your PC. if you are comfortable doing what you used to do, this doesnt change anything for you... i dont get why people have issues with free updates that improves the user experience across all their consumer base and not just the vocal few.

TLDR; get the update, it wont degrade your experience

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 is/feels faster than W7. W8.1 feels faster than W8. 8.1.1 is just addressing some things for desktop users.

So yes. Update to the latest version of Windows. This => "But I found that people hate the update specially for mouse and keyboard users" is completely not true.

Also, I pretty much expect ALL HATE towards Windows 8 to dissipate into thin air once Microsoft releases 8.1.2/8.2/8.5/whatever update that brings back the Start Menu, even if it has a Modern-UI flavor. (there are screens around from Microsoft's //Build/ presentation)

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
quite simple really, if you dont upgrade, you wont be getting future updates from MSFT. and this does nothing to change the way you already interact with your PC. if you are comfortable doing what you used to do, this doesnt change anything for you... i dont get why people have issues with free updates that improves the user experience across all their consumer base and not just the vocal few.

TLDR; get the update, it wont degrade your experience

Pretty simple. They claim that others can't adapt/accept change, and that somehow makes them feel smarter and more knowledgeable. All the while, they complain about the current changes and how dumb/stupid those changes are and usually with little reason as to why. Heaven forbid that an experience can be catered to different people and what suits their understanding or tastes, especially when those changes don't really affect their usage in any way.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
When the update started to roll out yesterday, I tweeted (When I was thinking out loud) so what are the Microsoft haters gonna complain about now?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett