What does wp8.1 have that iOS and android do not ?

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For me, the one reason I'm interested in moving my phone from Android to WP8.1 is that unless one has a Nexus device (or Play Edition) then from my experience, the phone OS quickly becomes outdated in the sense one may or may not get an OS update from the manufacturer...almost forcing on to root the phone.

As I have said before on here, my Nexus 7 works fine, no issues - so I'm not anti-android OS.

One HUGE advantage with WP phone as I see it is that Windows phones are pretty much un-fragmented in the OS department; thereby, somewhat keeping the phone "current" for about 18-24 months. That period is about the time most people who don't subscribe to something like VZ Edge would be upgrading. My current Android phone is less than 2 years old (Dec 2012)
and it may as well be a paper weight as far as Motorola is concerened. Windows phones are MUCH less dependent on all parties to push out the updates.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I have Dolby Digital on my Android Device, Not sure what you mean by a 42MB camera, and Datasense has been on Android for years

what he meant was a 41 megapixel camera which actually has image processing which takes advantage of it. Android OEMS can make as many camera, but however high their MP may be, they wont ever touch the kind of image processing nokia has. You have to see this to agree. My Lumia 520 takes super sharp photos at 5 MP which my friends cant get with their 13MP samesung/htc phones. And the 1020 is like the god of camera phones. You cant just beat it, period.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
For me, the one reason I'm interested in moving my phone from Android to WP8.1 is that unless one has a Nexus device (or Play Edition) then from my experience, the phone OS quickly becomes outdated in the sense one may or may not get an OS update from the manufacturer...almost forcing on to root the phone.

As I have said before on here, my Nexus 7 works fine, no issues - so I'm not anti-android OS.

One HUGE advantage with WP phone as I see it is that Windows phones are pretty much un-fragmented in the OS department; thereby, somewhat keeping the phone "current" for about 18-24 months. That period is about the time most people who don't subscribe to something like VZ Edge would be upgrading. My current Android phone is less than 2 years old (Dec 2012)
and it may as well be a paper weight as far as Motorola is concerened. Windows phones are MUCH less dependent on all parties to push out the updates.

just for the information of everyone, Microsoft has publically said (and written in your phone documentation probably too) that every windows phone (on wp8) would get the latest updates till atleast 36 months of its launch. So they guarantee you 3 years of support, even for the humble Lumia 520. Which is like unparalleled if you see what android does. (no i know iOS does better in this regard, but iOS isn't cheap).

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
just for the information of everyone, Microsoft has publically said (and written in your phone documentation probably too) that every windows phone (on wp8) would get the latest updates till atleast 36 months of its launch. So they guarantee you 3 years of support, even for the humble Lumia 520. Which is like unparalleled if you see what android does. (no i know iOS does better in this regard, but iOS isn't cheap).

Hey Ya android is very slow in updates but Google playstore is updated which allow users to install any apps.so this so called update in android is gimmick even nit updated android devices enjoy all apps.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

AadarshGreat

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
metro tiles, directX11,Xaudio,3D audio,smooth performance,spinning animations,hq apps firmware,smart speech recognization,html 5,IE 11,non third party UI etc

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

What phone do you have? I'm using my RAZR M on 4.1.2. with no issues. WP are still carrier dependant just like Android.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
For the Record, I have Nokia (WP), Motorola / Samsung (Android), iPad (iOS)

Just a quick correction, the hardware is not the only thing that matters when it comes to camera technology. The image algorithms is also a huge part. It's one of the reasons why different phones vary in quality even though a lot of them use Sony's lenses or why two phones can have comparable megapixel counts but one has a clear advantage with photos.

I have Dolby Digital on my Android Device, Not sure what you mean by a 42MB camera, and Datasense has been on Android for years

Honest question, what Android phone records in DD 5.1? That's impressive as hell IMO and I never knew phones were even attempting to do this until I read about the 930.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
4.Camera Best. Good Avg with WP and Android this is completely dependent on the HARDWARE, not the SOFTWARE

Few things:

That first statement is false. ALL pictures taken by modern cell phones with the exception of the RAW dumps from the 1020, 1520, Icon and now the 930, run the images through processing to generate the JPEG. This processing is based on software algorithms that can affect the final quality of the image, not to mention the firmware controlling the camera has a lot of say in how the image is read off of the sensor. Software matters in cameras.

No cell phones can RECORD in Dolby Digital surround, many can play back in DD. And just a reminder, HTC got sued by Nokia (and lost) because they used the fancy mics Nokia uses in the early runs of the HTC One. After that first batch, HTC pulled the microphone, and removed it's ability to record loud sounds without distortion as a feature. (In HTC's defense, it wasn't really their fault. The company that makes the microphone made it available to HTC when they were developing the phone, so HTC used it. They didn't know Nokia had exclusive rights to it until after the phone hit the market.)

Data Sense has not been on Android, because Data Sense is a Windows Phone specific app. However, Android phones have had functionality to throttle back data based on usage since ICS (mid/late 2012). I was glad to see WP have this feature when I switched.

Anyway, this thread is trash. If you have friends who go out of their way to bash your phone, you need new friends. I'm happy with my WP, and I'm glad I switched from Android, but you can't name one that is hands down better. They all have merits that offset each other, so it's a matter of personal preference.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick correction, the hardware is not the only thing that matters when it comes to camera technology. The image algorithms is also a huge part. It's one of the reasons why different phones vary in quality even though a lot of them use Sony's lenses or why two phones can have comparable megapixel counts but one has a clear advantage with photos.

Honest question, what Android phone records in DD 5.1? That's impressive as hell IMO and I never knew phones were even attempting to do this until I read about the 930.

lol, beat me to it. To my knowledge, the 930/Icon/1520 will be the first cell phones to RECORD Dolby 5.1, other devices on the market can play it back.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
A895, we discussed the previously; but it's a Razr M. Was a wonderful phone one time; best I'd ever had. Anyway, I've done about 20 factory cache reformats (as recommended on one of the droid forums) and to no avail. It works ok I guess and is slightly quicker; but, when texting the keyboard lags so bad sometimes it's mind-numbing. I'm going to do a factory reset on it this weekend and see what happens. If that doesn't clear it; it's going to be replaced...by what; I'm still debating.

I'm just blown away by my 521 tester phone I purchased. I am NOT too thrilled about the email, how to transfer my contacts from Y-mail, and a few missing apps (Sirius XM, 2 banks, and Various web-zines).

I do think WP8.1 may open the door. I know a lot of Apple people who are starting to say their screen is too small (REALLY??????????) and that ios7 screwed up so much stuff (wi-fi, and sluggy) they may be looking to change. If MSFT can capitalize on 8.1 WP may become a larger 3rd player (doubt they'll ever reign supreme).

5.1 Dolby will make the occasion concert video sound better!!! :)

Update: I factory reset the Razr M...works much faster now. But....for how long?

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I've also found this to be true. I don't have any fundamental problems with Android, but my last phone got exactly one update in two years and to add insult to injury, that update took away the ability to root the phone! Then there's the issue of the tons of Verizon bloatware. "Your apps". I didn't install them, I don't want/use them and I can't uninstall them. So how are they my apps?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
That might not be true about every device for WP8 to 8.1. That definitely wasn't true about any phone for WP7.5/8 to WP8.
The reasons for breaking with 7.x were extensively documented and explained. One of the results was that Microsoft did actually announce that _all_ first gen WP8 device would be able to update to at least the next major OS update. WP8.1 is not that update so we have a long way to go before the hardware becomes outdated.

That said, there are certain features and functions (beyond WP 8.1) which will not be available on the current WP8 hardware.

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Verizon bloats all their phones that are Android...hence once reason Google won't give them a Nexus Phone again (from what I understand). My phone (Razr M) works much better since the factory reset; but, then some of the apps didn't work because the developers apparently changed something. So whilst the app downloaded, it was still using "the link" to the old app. Haven't figured out why this happens.

My real decision is to move to AT&T from VZW. VZW gives me < 1 mbit/sec here at the house...on LTE!!!!!!!!!! Never lose voice; but their data pretty much blows here.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Verizon bloats all their phones that are Android...hence once reason Google won't give them a Nexus Phone again (from what I understand). My phone (Razr M) works much better since the factory reset; but, then some of the apps didn't work because the developers apparently changed something. So whilst the app downloaded, it was still using "the link" to the old app. Haven't figured out why this happens.

My real decision is to move to AT&T from VZW. VZW gives me < 1 mbit/sec here at the house...on LTE!!!!!!!!!! Never lose voice; but their data pretty much blows here.
Yeah I get that coverage is a big part of the decision. Where I live Verizon sucks less. LTE is good but their 3G network is terrible. Slow as hell. T-Mo and Sprint aren't really good options either. Ya gotta go with what works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb